2019 NFL Draft Chatter

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
he'd be a great addition to this group if we dont go WR in Rd 1.
The WR group might not have very many true sure fire 1sts. There is always risk taking a WR in the 1st any ways.

You can look in any draft and find a couple that completely bust out of the league, sometimes even before their rookie contract is up.

I realize we need WRs badly, but it needs to be treated like anything else. Make the value merit the pick.

jay94

Reaction score
The WR group might not have very many true sure fire 1sts. There is always risk taking a WR in the 1st any ways.

You can look in any draft and find a couple that completely bust out of the league, sometimes even before their rookie contract is up.

I realize we need WRs badly, but it needs to be treated like anything else. Make the value merit the pick.

Besides anything but lineman and there has been a few busts of those as well, everything is a gamble.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We aren't sniffing Herbert. This franchise will win just enough games to screw our draft position but likely come up just short of the playoffs.

We could have the first overall pick and they'd think they could take advantage of a trade down since they don't need a QB.

This is how dumb these guys are.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which prospect has risen the most on your board so far?

Kiper: Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama. He was on my radar after starting Bama's final two games last season, but he has risen all the way to No. 13 on my updated Big Board after a fantastic start to 2018. The 6-foot-2, 194-pound Thompson is a natural playmaker (two interceptions, five pass breakups this season) with great range, and he can tackle, an underrated but necessary skill for defenders entering the league.

Now, Thompson is only a third-year sophomore with just a handful of starts for the Crimson Tide, so he could still come back to school in 2019. But he might already be the best free safety in this class -- if he enters the draft. Alabama has breezed through its schedule so far, but it travels to Baton Rouge in three weeks, and I can't wait to see how Thompson and a loaded defense fares against LSU.

McShay: Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama. He has outplayed his highly touted teammates Raekwon Davis and Isaiah Buggs on the Alabama defensive line this season. Coming into the campaign, the third-year sophomore was barely on my radar, but he has been fantastic for the Crimson Tide, and the buzz around him has been building.

Through seven games, the 6-foot-4, 295-pound lineman has 7.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks, along with 8 quarterback hurries. He's doing a great job with his hands at the line, too. Williams is playing like a potential future first-round pick.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which prospect needs a second-half surge?

Kiper: Bryce Love, RB, Stanford. There were two concerns about Love as an NFL prospect entering the season. Would his body hold up behind a worse offensive line, and would Stanford get him more involved in the passing game to show off his versatility? Those questions get a resounding "no" so far, as the 5-foot-10, 202-pound Love has struggled to stay on the field due to injuries, and he hasn't looked like his explosive self when he has played. Plus, he has six catches and hasn't been a receiving target.

The 2017 Heisman runner-up needs to get healthy to get back in the first-round range. We knew he didn't have the versatility as former Cardinal star Christian McCaffrey, but he's still a great runner when at his best. I want to see him get healthy before the all-star bowl games in January and NFL combine in March. I have him as a Day 2 pick right now.

McShay: Drew Lock, QB, Missouri. I was low on Lock coming into the season, giving him just a third-round grade, but I got excited about his early play. In his first two games of the season, he showed a lot more poise and pocket presence, throwing eight touchdowns and zero interceptions in wins over UT Martin and Wyoming. Not bad for a guy learning to play a pro-style brand of QB for the first time in his life, including playcalling verbiage, protections and pre-snap reads of defensive structures.

But the past three games have not gone well, as he's thrown five interceptions and only one touchdown. Against Georgia, Lock didn't necessarily play poorly -- his receivers let him down in a big way -- but there were body language issues and frustration was obviously setting in. South Carolina was the most concerning of the three straight losses because his poor decision-making in the second half cost Missouri the game. This past weekend, Lock and the Tigers were simply overmatched versus Alabama but he also made some critical red-flag errors.

He's an attractive project with a huge arm, size (6-foot-4, 225 pounds) and athleticism, but I would struggle to invest a first- or second-round pick on Lock at this point. Missouri has some key matchups against Kentucky and Florida over the next three weeks.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who's the under-the-radar potential first-rounder for 2019 that you'll be watching closely the rest of the way?

Kiper: Brian Burns, DE, Florida State. OK, Florida State isn't usually a school I'd say is off the radar for the NFL draft, but the Seminoles are not a good team this season. People need to watch them for Burns, who could be an elite NFL pass-rusher. He can bend the edge as well as any player in this class, and he already has seven sacks this season. With a lean 6-foot-5, 235-pound frame, Burns is still growing. But he's one of the best pure outside pass-rushers in this class, and he could be a top-10 pick, depending on his combine workout.

McShay: Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State. Last season at this time, we didn't know much about Haskins. Now the third-year sophomore is emerging as one of the purest pocket passers in college football, completing 72 percent of his passes this season for 2,331 yards through seven games. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound quarterback is not overly mobile -- just 30 rushes for 49 yards this year -- and I wasn't particularly excited by his play in the Penn State game, Ohio State's biggest test to date. But I'm left really impressed by his touch, timing and ball placement.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prospect on the rise

i

Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama
Wow, this dude can run. A junior from New Orleans, Smith had two catches for 123 yards two weeks ago against Arkansas, including a touchdown. On just 17 receptions this season, the 6-foot-4, 241-pound tight end has 334 yards for a 19.6 average. He wasn't on the radar in the preseason, but if he enters the 2019 draft, he'd be one of the first tight ends off the board. He can be a tough matchup in today's pass-happy NFL, especially in multiple-TE sets. -- McShay

i

Zach Allen, DE, Boston College
The word I'd use to describe Allen: consistent. He doesn't have poor performances. He consistently plays well, beating tackles with rip and swim moves on the edge, and beating guards with push when moved inside in BC's 4-3 defense. Allen had three tackles for loss, a sack and blocked a field goal in the win over Louisville on Saturday, and he's up to 11 TFL and 4.5 sacks this season after having 15.5 TFL and 6 sacks in 2017. He is solid as a rock and extremely versatile, which is a big reason why he's rising. At 6-foot-5, 285 pounds, I see Allen as a 4-3 end in the NFL, and teams always have a need for pass-rushers who can play the run. -- Kiper

Western

Reaction score
Have the Giants taking Herbert at 1, Drew Lock goes to the Buccaneers at 9, Dallas at 13 taking WR AJ Brown from Ole Miss -- ahead of QB Will Grier who goes to Jacksonville at 14:

DiResta

Reaction score
Which prospect has risen the most on your board so far?

Kiper: Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama. He was on my radar after starting Bama's final two games last season, but he has risen all the way to No. 13 on my updated Big Board after a fantastic start to 2018. The 6-foot-2, 194-pound Thompson is a natural playmaker (two interceptions, five pass breakups this season) with great range, and he can tackle, an underrated but necessary skill for defenders entering the league.

Now, Thompson is only a third-year sophomore with just a handful of starts for the Crimson Tide, so he could still come back to school in 2019. But he might already be the best free safety in this class -- if he enters the draft. Alabama has breezed through its schedule so far, but it travels to Baton Rouge in three weeks, and I can't wait to see how Thompson and a loaded defense fares against LSU.

Thompson will keep rising as he keeps making plays (he had a relatively quiet game for a change last week though) of course in the end he will be just out of reach so.... anyway

if it were me I would look to build on the defense and add skill players
I think Herbert may be the best of this bunch on draft day but not worth trading the draft for -and Cowboys would have to outbid the Giants who may be desperate by the end of the year to replace Eli AND I agree, I don't think the FO is motivated to go high and replace Dak

so I build to lean on my defense, best case I get Deionte and rent Earl to have a huge jump in skill, a dynamic safety tandem
play Dak as a option read qb through his last contract year and pick up a decent vet to back him up (I mean realistically they aren't going to demote much less cut Dak next year)
draft or trade for a #1 receiver and get a solid tightend
you could draft a guard maybe move Connor out to RT if they can't get a workable deal with Lael
they need to keep adding to the defensive line and could start elite talent almost anywhere if there's bpa

in 2020 aside from the lockout several things could happen like Garrett, Linehan, Marinelli all will have contracts ending including Dak
I go hard for a franchise QB (Tua is the guy I like but that could change)
he would hopefully have skill players and a very good line + rb and a strong young defense
maybe even a dynamic fresh coaching staff?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Have the Giants taking Herbert at 1, Drew Lock goes to the Buccaneers at 9, Dallas at 13 taking WR AJ Brown from Ole Miss -- ahead of QB Will Grier who goes to Jacksonville at 14:

Would suck to miss on N'Keal Harry by two picks.

Haven't been overly impressed with AJ Brown but I've only watched about 3 quarters of Ole Miss this year.

Same players available, I'd go:

Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama , Zach Allen, DL, Boston College
or Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama

Western

Reaction score

1. Herbert, Oregon junior
He’s undisputed here, as we covered above.

2. Daniel Jones, Duke redshirt junior
After Herbert, little is set. We’re going with Jones at this juncture because he has the archetype body the NFL looks for – 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds. He comes with what one scout calls the “blessing and curse” of playing for David Cutcliffe. The blessing is that Cutcliffe is among this generation’s most revered quarterback tutors because of his time with the Mannings. The curse shows up in Jones’ 56.7 completion percentage last year, as Duke’s pro-style offense lacks the high-percentage throws that pad modern quarterback numbers. Jones’ percentage has jumped to 68.3 percent this year, but he’s played only four games because of a clavicle injury. Don’t be surprised if a team falls in love with him.

3. Will Grier, West Virginia redshirt senior
Recency bias hurts Grier, as he got sacked seven times in an upset loss at Iowa State this weekend and threw three interceptions against Kansas the week before. There’s a strong feeling that Grier will impress in his interviews, as he remains a realistic candidate as a late first-round pick. But the transition from WVU’s offense remains a concern – one scout called it “a huge curve … to an NFL offense.” Still, there’s good vibes, as another says: “He’s got a good arm. He runs more to throw and can throw from [the] pocket and on the move.”

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Probably because we already have a QB we can build with for years to come.

Western

Reaction score
Probably because we already have a QB we can build with for years to come.
You will accept it because the astute football intellect of Jerry Jones said so.
Dak "fraud - roll out - bootleg - run option - tebow" Prescott.

Western

Reaction score
Halfway college football season some draft potential college QB's - Completion percentages - interception total:

1. Dwayne Haskins -- OSU --7 games -- 72% completion (175/242) -- 4 int.

2. Will Grier -- WVU -- 6 games -- 71% completion (137/192) -- 7 int.

3. Ryan Finely -- NC State -- 5 games -- 69% completion (130/187) -- 3 int.

4. Daniel Jones -- Duke -- 4 games -- 68% completion (69/101) -- 2 int.

5. Justin Herbert -- Oregon -- 6 games -- 63% completion (106/168) -- 5 int.

6. Drew Lock -- Missouri -- 6 games -- 58% completion (131/223) -- 6 int.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
For you guys way east of Pac-12 territory, ASU vs Stanford on ESPN right now...your chance to see N'Keal Harry.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Kind of like how Calvin Ridley wasn't worth the 19th pick. Stuff like that.

~flush~