2019 Safety Class

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I'd be ok in the 4th...but with our 3rd I'd much happier with someone like Hooker or Savage.

One thing to remember Pete and Kris Richard both like drafting pac 12 guys. Richard was a grad assistant under Pete at USC and went to Gardena Serra in LA area so he is very familiar with these kids makeup.

Hell Kris might see Tell as a Richard Sherman type and play him at CB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
One thing to remember Pete and Kris Richard both like drafting pac 12 guys. Richard was a grad assistant under Pete at USC and went to Gardena Serra in LA area so he is very familiar with these kids makeup.

Hell Kris might see Tell as a Richard Sherman type and play him at CB.

I’m good with that, but again, not too soon. 4th or.m 5th would be fine.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
84 million for Landon Collins.... I’m going to go and draft a SS with every pick so we don’t have to spend for a few years there .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more I look at this class the more I like us having a great opportunity to get good value on a starting caliber player...or 2. It's not top heavy, as I don't think there's a sure fire 1st rounder, but man there is a ton of quality talent in rounds 2-4.

Abram
Thompson
Adderly
Thornhill
CGJ
Rapp
Savage
Hooker

It's interesting bc each guy is a little different and provides a different type of skill set, but seeing how weak we are at S I like just about everyone as an upgrade over what we have.

At Safety they should look at high upside guys even if they"re a little raw instead of ready-now but limited upside players. Obviously ready now and high upside is preferred but that's normally the definition of a 1st round pick or maybe early 2nd.

cnuball21

Reaction score
At Safety they should look at high upside guys even if they"re a little raw instead of ready-now but limited upside players. Obviously ready now and high upside is preferred but that's normally the definition of a 1st round pick or maybe early 2nd.

Inside the top 100 I’m looking for players that are NFL caliber athletes and that are already proven on tape.

The lower the round, the more open I am to drafting moreso based on traits and potential.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
This is working out perfectly, these S are coming off the board early taking up a ton of resources to get them hopefully that means teams aren't looking to double up at the position.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Inside the top 100 I’m looking for players that are NFL caliber athletes and that are already proven on tape.

The lower the round, the more open I am to drafting moreso based on traits and potential.

Yes on the more extreme side of high upside but far from ready types that's what I prefer in the later rounds.

At #58 I referring to polished players vs not polished but higher upside.

For instance in the 2018 draft the only significant difference to me between Calvin Ridley and Michael Gallup was that Ridley was more polished.

We saw Ridley get off to a fast start with Gallup starting slower but advancing once he started to get more polished with NFL coaching.

I'm not saying Gallup had a higher upside than Ridley but probably a higher upside than some 2nd round WRs.

Even in the 1st Vander Esch was not as polished of a pick as a player like WR Ridley but Vander Esch had a huge upside while showing up on film as a legit football player and not just a size/speed athlete.

Mr_437

Reaction score
After 1 day of FA signings, the % of DAL drafting a FS/SS has shot up tremendously.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yes on the more extreme side of high upside but far from ready types that's what I prefer in the later rounds.

At #58 I referring to polished players vs not polished but higher upside.

For instance in the 2018 draft the only significant difference to me between Calvin Ridley and Michael Gallup was that Ridley was more polished.

We saw Ridley get off to a fast start with Gallup starting slower but advancing once he started to get more polished with NFL coaching.

I'm not saying Gallup had a higher upside than Ridley but probably a higher upside than some 2nd round WRs.

Even in the 1st Vander Esch was not as polished of a pick as a player like WR Ridley but Vander Esch had a huge upside while showing up on film as a legit football player and not just a size/speed athlete.

Well yea, absolutely.

You always want to take the player with the higher upside after making your other evaluations.

But the polish, or being nfl ready, is why Ridley went so much higher than Gallup.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why waste a draft pick at safety? You can get the best safety for only 14million a year. That's nothing. Get DL help. Far cheaper to draft good DL help than to pay for it in FA.

Rockdoc

Reaction score
we are not drafting a SS!!
we need two safeties that can cover
ET isnt a pure SS if he "is" then he will not be a cowboy
i think he is more hybrid ss/fs which would be fine. (not discussing money)

cnuball21

Reaction score
we are not drafting a SS!!
we need two safeties that can cover
ET isnt a pure SS if he "is" then he will not be a cowboy
i think he is more hybrid ss/fs which would be fine. (not discussing money)

We need to upgrade both safety spots.

Lot of great options in rounds 2-4 with a variety of skill sets.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Just wish we signed Malcom Brown, although I do like the Covington pick up, but would have loved to see us get Brown too to serve as the 1 tech with Covington more of the 3.

Clinton Dix 1 yr at 3.5 isn’t bad either

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just wish we signed Malcom Brown, although I do like the Covington pick up, but would have loved to see us get Brown too to serve as the 1 tech with Covington more of the 3.

Clinton Dix 1 yr at 3.5 isn’t bad either

I wish they would look at Danny Sheldon.

He was a backup behind Malcom Brown. If Brown only got 5M per then Sheldon should be cheap.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-shelton-award-super-bowl-53-los-angeles-rams

Mr_437

Reaction score
I wish they would look at Danny Sheldon.

He was a backup behind Malcom Brown. If Brown only got 5M per then Sheldon should be cheap.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-shelton-award-super-bowl-53-los-angeles-rams
There's still plenty of DTs left, and guys who could start over #99 but DAL is too cheap at that spot.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Got around to watching some safety tape.

Johnathan Abram: Love the speed, LOVE the energy. He is going 100 MPH on the field and looks like he enjoys every second of it. Richard's Seattle defenses, temperment wise, were built around attitude and hustle, and Abram brings both in spades. He'd be an awesome fit at SS.

Juan Thornhill: I wasn't really blown away with his tape, but he clearly has ball skills, and that plus his psycho Combine results mean that he has some real center fielder potential. I mean, the potential ceiling with him is just crazy. Wouldn't be upset at all if we picked him at #58, wouldn't be surprised if he was gone before then.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson: Looks like a really smooth, natural athlete, and honestly, I was surprised that he tested as average as he did. Ball skills are clearly there too. He's a willing tackler but not a good one, and he seems a tick slow to diagnose, and both of those really worry me with a FS. I guess he would be better than Woods at FS, he's just as fluid and definitely faster, but I wouldn't be hugely thrilled about this pick either.