2020 potential out of Tyron Smith contract

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Love the guy but his career is at a point where we can no longer expect 16 games. As you can see from Spotrac, 2020 is the first year of his deal where can either release him or ask for a pay cut with min dead cap. With that said, if a possible replacement is there at 58, I'd pull the trigger. Hell, with Collins being 2020 free agent, both tackle positions can get interesting after next season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tyron-smith-7724/

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He's a top 10 tackle, he's gonna have to miss some serious time or have a serious decline in the next couple years to "move on".

I have asked others before, I want to see stats, videos, etc. where it shows Smith is on some serious decline to justify threads like this.

robjay04

Reaction score
Why?

If it’s a Demarcus Ware deal and we need the cap space, okay. But I doubt we will be that financially strapped.

Who will replace him playing arguably the second most important position on the field? Do you wanna add LT to the list of needs we need? The guy took an epic discount to resign with us, we aren’t going to throw him away..especially when we don’t have a replacement.

I just don’t get why people wanna make “cap casualties”. It’s only a casualty if we need to make the cut to get under the cap. In this case, we are going to cut the statistically beet pass blocking OT in football because you think he’s paid too much?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another thread to laugh at.

When you have a generational talent like Tyron Smith at one of the most critical positions on the field you don't look for a reason to get rid of him.

You are judging him against himself and the ridiculously high standard he has set. When you compare him to the rest of the league you realize how special he is.

He will leave one day with me clinging to his pant leg.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He's a top 10 tackle, he's gonna have to miss some serious time or have a serious decline in the next couple years to "move on".

I have asked others before, I want to see stats, videos, etc. where it shows Smith is on some serious decline to justify threads like this.

I thought last year was Tyron on the upswing. He had the neck issue, but the back seemed better, and his play was better. He was fine for the final game, but we didn't need him.

10mil for a top ten tackle is a win. Health is a concern, but it has been manageable. And we have his contract at 10mil for the next 3 years. You don't punt out of that option.

Collins is 9.9mil. He's not near a top ten tackle. He's more of a question to me. And in 2020, I let him walk.

So if there is a good T at our pick, I'd think about taking him, but that's to compete with Williams in 2020 for RT, and build depth at T to insure Tyron's health risk.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Tryon is cool, just get a proper Swing. More concerned with them grooming a guy for the RT to control cost/cap.

uvaballa

Reaction score
If they kept injury prone Lee around I’d expect Tyron to be here for awhile. Tyron still plays at a very high level.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Love the guy but his career is at a point where we can no longer expect 16 games. As you can see from Spotrac, 2020 is the first year of his deal where can either release him or ask for a pay cut with min dead cap. With that said, if a possible replacement is there at 58, I'd pull the trigger. Hell, with Collins being 2020 free agent, both tackle positions can get interesting after next season.

I definitely think about it. But a replacement of equal or better quality has to be ready to go. Personally, I move him over to RT and move Martin over to LT for the rest of his career. Finding a Guard is easier than finding a LT.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Lots of holding calls and he is also not what he used to be in the run game. There is no doubt he is declining. To say differently would be turning a blind eye. Only a fool would wait until he is no longer useful to start talking about the future. Think of Sean Lee and LVE.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Collins is an absolute turd at T. They need to move him inside. I think Williams needs to play OT. 2019 is make or break for Smith. He needs to be better at that cap hit. I still think he can be great again. Like America.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I definitely think about it. But a replacement of equal or better quality has to be ready to go. Personally, I move him over to RT and move Martin over to LT for the rest of his career. Finding a Guard is easier than finding a LT.

large.jpg