2020 potential out of Tyron Smith contract

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hawkeye0202, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    12,367 Likes Received

+1......things can get ugly real if you're not ready.

2. Nightman

Nightman Capologist

27,135 Messages
    24,061 Likes Received
    TSmith is the Tom Brady of LTs

His deal is so team friendly it is embarrassing

Any talk of cutting him shows an extreme lack of football knowledge

3. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

21,196 Messages
    13,590 Likes Received
    You can talk about whatever you want buddy. Ill talk about Smith and his injury problems declining his abilities all I want.

Frederick will be evaluated when he comes back and if he is 100% like anyone else.

You can avoid that conversation too if it bothers you. Whether that upsets you or not is of no concern to me. Enjoy

4. northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation Well-Known Member

7,926 Messages
    6,303 Likes Received
    Was just thinking about the T position on the team. Tyron's wonky back, Collins underwhelming performance at RT and FA in 2020, question marks about C Williams and whether the team will even consider moving him to RT, Flemming a FA. I'd pull the trigger on a T with the 58'th too Hawk. We have good depth at G. If T is the highest rated player on our board with the 58'th pick, grab him. I won't be disappointed. Some fans on here might be because they think we're spending too much on the O-line. That imbalance between O-line pay and D-line pay is gonna change real soon

5. northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation Well-Known Member

7,926 Messages
    6,303 Likes Received
    The T position should be addressed in this draft. It's called foresight and always better than hindsight after a Tyron back flare up. Add Collins as a FA in 2020 and Flemming as a FA in 2019 and it's thin even if Tyron's back doesn't flare up

6. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    12,367 Likes Received
    As we know, other than QB, it's the hardest position to replace.

northerncowboynation likes this.
  7. mattjames2010

mattjames2010 Well-Known Member

15,370 Messages
    12,861 Likes Received
    It's one thing to discuss getting a viable backup behind Smith (why would you go into a season without a backup tackle you're not comfortable with?), it's another thing to talk about Smith like he's playing on some huge contract and he played poorly in 2018 and we need to release/replace. It simply isn't true, and again, I have yet to see anyone post evidence to support their claim.

But it's hard to take anyone seriously when they are considering taking an all-pro guard and putting him at LT 5 seasons into his career to replace a top 10 left tackle.

8. exciter

exciter Well-Known Member

1,087 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Lol! He's 28, didn't give up a sack, had a couple of tick tac holding calls playing one armed from a stinger!

Nightman likes this.
  9. exciter

1,087 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Any player can go at any time.... its football. His injuries have been knee sprains and stingers. Martin had sprains in both knees this season. Is it time to cut ties with him also!

10. CowboyRoy

21,196 Messages
    13,590 Likes Received
    You must be talking to someone else because I never said any of those things.

As far as moving Martin to Guard at some point down the road, yes I have said that several times. Are you claiming that Martin isnt good enough to be an all pro over there?

11. CowboyRoy

21,196 Messages
    13,590 Likes Received
    LOL......cut ties? Another lie.

12. DUO_CORE

DUO_CORE Well-Known Member

344 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    The Eagles Redskins and Giants are in complete agreement.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

12,834 Messages
    3,424 Likes Received
    Best case scenario is that the Cowboys don't need to use this option and instead get to pay a premier, 29 year old OT with a cap hit of about 10-12M/year, which would be a steal.

I'll worry about this next offseason, right now Tyron is the starter next year and needs a plan to keep his health up.

14. mattjames2010

mattjames2010 Well-Known Member

15,370 Messages
    12,861 Likes Received
    > I never said any of those things
    > Okay, I actually said one of those things

And maybe you want to look at the very thread you're in and what the OP stated? He's not just talking "pay cut", which isn't even much there to cut, he's talking outright replacing when you responded with "I'd think about it" before your absurd talk about moving Martin to LT.

I don't know how Martin would play at LT, but I frankly don't want to find out. I don't "consider" taking THE best guard in football from a position he has played at a top 3 level since his rookie season and then experimenting with him at LT for the chance he MIGHT play at an acceptable level.

Then again, this is a forum that had the majority thinking Collins would be an all-pro at tackle while the minority was rolling their eyes saying he'd be average to an outright bust as a tackle. But I hope you get your wish, just so, yet again, it'll prove most here have no freakin' clue what they are talking about and just look for their next scapegoat most of the time.

15. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

11,410 Messages
    13,567 Likes Received
    Can't see why the Cowboys would be looking for an out on Smith.

Unless he blows his knee to shreds ala Jaylon Smith, I'm sure they'll take him as is rather than trying to replace him for a full season.

In 2020 his cap hit falls to 13 mil. It's a steal of a contract for the level of play he brings, mostly healthy, let alone at 100%.

I would like to see them try to improve the swing tackle, with a younger guy with upside, but I wouldn't be eager to replace TS. Collins on the other hand...

16. exciter

1,087 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Huh? Your the one advocating cutting ties with Tyron for minor injuries. How is asking you if they should also cut ties with Martin for minor injuries a lie?

17. CowboysRule

CowboysRule Well-Known Member

799 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    7 holding calls killed us this year...Yeah, that's what it was.

mattjames2010 likes this.
  18. CowboyRoy

21,196 Messages
    13,590 Likes Received
    Like I said, your talking to someone else. I could honestly care less.

19. ryanbabs

ryanbabs Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    2,516 Likes Received
    I think he saved Dak far more than hurt us with penalties.

20. CowboyRoy

21,196 Messages
    13,590 Likes Received
    Another lie. Get lost troll.