2020 potential out of Tyron Smith contract

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So you are saying he is responsible for more than 15 sacks? If so do you have anything to back up your opinion other than you hating Dak Prescott?

I think there are multiple variables that goes into "sacks" - you look at "holding", but I see an offensive line that needed to hold off defenders longer than most offensive lines in this league - which will lead to penalties. You may be able to get away with a hold, you can't get away with giving up a sack.

I know Dak ranked highest when it came to taking sacks - just watching the game, everyone knows Dak's pocket awareness is among the worst when it comes to NFL starting QBs. The one thing that PFF is subjective with and most likely put more on the offensive line is, how many windows are there for a QB to throw that Dak simply doesn't attempt? PFF may look at something and say "that is good coverage" - however, a quality QB can make "good coverage" across the field look poor with precision passing - something Dak lacks. Do you know another QB who does this? Alex Smith. From 2011 to 2015 Alex Smith was sacked 39 or more times 4 out of those 5 years (he played limited games in 2012).

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think there are multiple variables that goes into "sacks" - you look at "holding", but I see an offensive line that needed to hold off defenders longer than most offensive lines in this league - which will lead to penalties. You may be able to get away with a hold, you can't get away with giving up a sack.

I know Dak ranked highest when it came to taking sacks - just watching the game, everyone knows Dak's pocket awareness is among the worst when it comes to NFL starting QBs. The one thing that PFF is subjective with and most likely put more on the offensive line is, how many windows are there for a QB to throw that Dak simply doesn't attempt? PFF may look at something and say "that is good coverage" - however, a quality QB can make "good coverage" across the field look poor with precision passing - something Dak lacks. Do you know another QB who does this? Alex Smith. From 2011 to 2015 Alex Smith was sacked 39 or more times 4 out of those 5 years (he played limited games in 2012).
Maybe but Dak was only sacked 25 times in 16 and 32 times in 17. Then all of sudden jumps to 56. Holding calls show when a lineman is beat he has to hold to recover. You have to watch other games if you think Dak is the worst in the league in pocket awareness. He needs to work on it but it isn't the worst.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Maybe but Dak was only sacked 25 times in 16 and 32 times in 17. Then all of sudden jumps to 56. Holding calls show when a lineman is beat he has to hold to recover. You have to watch other games if you think Dak is the worst in the league in pocket awareness. He needs to work on it but it isn't the worst.

You see 25 times in 2016 and think that's good, especially when Dak had such limited dropbacks - I don't think that is a good thing, we're talking about one of the best years we've seen in pass blocking from an O-Line group in years. Maybe even better than 2014. Big Ben dropped back to throw 600+ times in 2018, had 24 sacks and that line is considered to be the best pass protecting line in the league. Dak dropped back 459 times in 2016 and ended up with 25 sacks, and we arguably had an even better line than what Steelers had in 2018.

I don't think anyone denies there is a drop off in production from the 2016 offensive line to 2018. However, they are not the worst in the league - they are middle of the pack with Prescott making them look at the bottom. Dak's pocket awareness is awful.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Its not a true stat that Smith didnt give up a sack.

I specifically remember him giving up a sack to Bennett Week 10 against Philly on 3rd and goal.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Its not a true stat that Smith didnt give up a sack.

I specifically remember him giving up a sack to Bennett Week 10 against Philly on 3rd and goal.

What "stat" are you referring to? If it's PFF, when it comes to sacks, they look at what happened on a play - this is how they go about judging if it was on the QB or the O-Line.

The play you are talking about, Prescott was in a shotgun formation, took 2 steps back while staring down the right side of the field then starts backing up to his left where he runs directly into Smith and Bennett. Smith actually had relatively good blocking on this play.

You can see the play at 4:02. The pressure here actually came from Collins side which forced Prescott to move into Smith and Bennett.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
What "stat" are you referring to? If it's PFF, when it comes to sacks, they look at what happened on a play - this is how they go about judging if it was on the QB or the O-Line.

The play you are talking about, Prescott was in a shotgun formation, took 2 steps back while staring down the right side of the field then starts backing up to his left where he runs directly into Smith and Bennett. Smith actually had relatively good blocking on this play.

You can see the play at 4:02. The pressure here actually came from Collins side which forced Prescott to move into Smith and Bennett.

We have very different definitions of "relatively good blocking" however your admission that is was just "relatively" good blocking means you also saw Smith getting pushed back and Bennett collapsing the pocket.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Yes. I didn't say he was perfect and this is one thing he absolutely has to improve on. But still the o line being responsible for that many sacks is disturbing, especially with the amount of holding penalties as well.
Just watched a video of all the sacks of Dak last year. It said 58 though I think some were runs that weren't considered passes. From my opinion about 28 were Dak's fault. He just holds the ball way too long sometimes and the line can't block everyone forever. I also noticed earlier in the season he had a tendency to roll out, scan the field and run out of bounds taking a loss instead of throwing it away at the end. Not sure what that was about

T-RO

Reaction score
Move him to right tackle once you feel he can't handle the speed of blindside edge rushers.

Which is not now.

Defensive coordinators now have as many--or more-- of their top pass rushers coming off the quarterbacks right side. You can't hide tackles in this league.

And we don't need to worry about 'hiding' Smith any time real soon anyways.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We have very different definitions of "relatively good blocking" however your admission that is was just "relatively" good blocking means you also saw Smith getting pushed back and Bennett collapsing the pocket.

Do you understand how a pocket forms? Collins was being "pushed back", which collapsed the right side. The left side was not collapsing. Please, understand how the O-Line works.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
31st in pass blocking and pressure. Run blocking, better.
It's crazy that people can sit here and say our pass blocking was even average. Their hatred for the QB doesn't allow them to actually believe what they see.

Flamma

Reaction score
I would think 2021 would be a more realistic potential out. All Spotrac does is determine a reasonable dead cap hit and considers nothing else. I don't like the idea of releasing Smith with a 5+ million dollar dead cap. Especially if he's still playing good. 2021 would be a much friendlier dead cap.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Do you understand how a pocket forms? Collins was being "pushed back", which collapsed the right side. The left side was not collapsing. Please, understand how the O-Line works.
QBs fault...Collins fault... But definitely NOTHING to do with Smith who was blocking Bennett, who got the sack. Lmao

Yo whatever you need to believe.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's crazy that people can sit here and say our pass blocking was even average. Their hatred for the QB doesn't allow them to actually believe what they see.
It was very bad at times...... good at others

But the whole year was patchwork beginning with Alexander and his bad techniques ideas

Then TFred got sick, ZMartin got hurt, CWilliams was a rookie and it showed and Tron was injured

Looney and Filo filled in OK but Filo and Flemming struggled against the pass

Overall Pass Blocking was bad(but not close to League worst) but Run blocking was above average

I think they return to a top unit this year
Tron- Looney- TFred- ZMartin- LCollins

CWilliams is the ST.....Filo backup LG.... maybe Ehringer as depth or cheap FA ....Draft an OT

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It was very bad at times...... good at others

But the whole year was patchwork beginning with Alexander and his bad techniques ideas

Then TFred got sick, ZMartin got hurt, CWilliams was a rookie and it showed and Tron was injured

Looney and Filo filled in OK but Filo and Flemming struggled against the pass

Overall Pass Blocking was bad(but not close to League worst) but Run blocking was above average

I think they return to a top unit this year
Tron- Looney- TFred- ZMartin- LCollins

CWilliams is the ST.....Filo backup LG.... maybe Ehringer as depth or cheap FA ....Draft an OT
You do realize that looney was serviceable at best he's not a starter in this league. I like the guy but he isn't there. The lineup should be
Tron-LCollins-Fred-Martin-CWilliams

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You do realize that looney was serviceable at best he's not a starter in this league. I like the guy but he isn't there. The lineup should be
Tron-LCollins-Fred-Martin-CWilliams
I'm not switching LCollins in his last year.... he struggled with Alexander last year but overall is very solid

CWilliams needs to get stronger and he is probably the future RT

Looney is more than serviceable between TFred and Tron... he was most consistent last year