CFZ 2021 Draft Class Revisited

d_cowboy31

Reaction score
This draft will always be remembered for Parsons but what may be forgotten is how important it was for Dallas to get numerous quality players. Top 10 draft position doesn't come around too often for this franchise and in addition to that we had a lot of extra picks. Because of how cap-strapped the Cowboys are (and will continue to be), along with all the impending free agents, they really needed to come away with at least a few quality future starters.

Instead of using their extra picks to move up and go get the guys they wanted, they instead decided to stay put and draft 11 players which seemed dumb at the time and still seems very dumb. Parson's was obviously a home run and the best pick of the entire draft. How much credit can really be given to this front office for the pick though considering they did just about everything they could to not select him? They were basically forced to pick him. Very fortunate to have Carolina and Denver take CBs and the Eagles and Bears/Giants to pass him over.

It's still early to tell on the rest of the draft class but it doesn't look too promising. Pick 44 (Joseph) was a selection they absolutely needed to nail and they got very little production out of such a high pick, especially considering that was a somewhat weak position group. He did seem to come on at the end of the year though. To make matters worse they drafted him over Asante Samuel Jr.

Odighizuwa seemed to start off the year pretty well but by the end of the season looked like a JAG. Our track record with developing DT's is abysmal so not much hope here. Didn't get to see much of Jabril Cox due to injury but he has some promise. Maybe Josh Ball can be your swing tackle. No one else is even worth mentioning really imo.

Hopefully some of these players can make a huge leap in Year 2 but after Year 1 this draft class is not looking great outside of Parsons.

d_cowboy31

Reaction score
You got a future hall of fame pass rusher and multiple quality players to fill out a roster. What on earth are you smoking?

They got the pass rusher by pure luck and with that draft position along with all those extra picks you got to come away with more than "quality players to fill out a roster". I'm not sure how you could even say most of the players are quality from what we saw this year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
At Dallas, the functional gaps between strength conditioning and scheme functioning are at a recognizeable valley as far as individual player development. There seems to be a void in player strength and aggressiveness and a crack is set up for lack of focus and disciplined inter reactions.

They seem to be a group of home run trotters and not a black and blue imprint upon opponents!

Creeper

Reaction score
Joseph is going to start next year and I think he is going to be a very pleasant surprise. He may not intercept as many passes as Diggs, but he will be a stickier CB and he will help support the run defense.

Odighizuwa hit the rookie wall. But I think he is a good kid who will hit the weights and do what is necessary to improve. I think he will be a very good player as well, maybe not the stud run stuffing DT the Cowboys need but he will be a good rotational guy wo can rush the passer and support the run defense.

I have less faith in Golston. At times he shows some flash but he needs to hit the weight room. He gets pushed around too much.

Nahshon Write is a puzzle right now. At times I have seen him stick to a receiver like glue and other times he looks uncoordinated and clueless. He is another guy who looked like a rookie but also showed some potential.

I think Jabril Cox, if he stay healthy, will be a really good player for Dallas. His sideline to sideline speed will help against guys like Deebo Samuel and other nifty speedy RBs who like to get the edge. I think he will be better than Keanu Neal was this year. Cox showed he can play in the preseason games. His injury was a big disappointment.

There is nothing to say about Ball. We never saw him play.

I think Simi Fehoko is going to disappoint. But he has some athletic ability. I suspect he could be a replacement for Michael Gallup and with Gallup, Wilson, Brown and Malik Turner all hitting free agency, Fehoko will get a big opportunity to play next year. I just don;t know if he has the quickness to get separation from NFL CBs.

Then there is Bohanna - he needs to get stronger.

Finally, Matt Farniok is going to challenge for the starting C position next year.

I think this draft class is pretty darn good even if one or two of these guys fails to meet expectations.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Joseph is going to start next year and I think he is going to be a very pleasant surprise. He may not intercept as many passes as Diggs, but he will be a stickier CB and he will help support the run defense.

Odighizuwa hit the rookie wall. But I think he is a good kid who will hit the weights and do what is necessary to improve. I think he will be a very good player as well, maybe not the stud run stuffing DT the Cowboys need but he will be a good rotational guy wo can rush the passer and support the run defense.

I have less faith in Golston. At times he shows some flash but he needs to hit the weight room. He gets pushed around too much.

Nahshon Write is a puzzle right now. At times I have seen him stick to a receiver like glue and other times he looks uncoordinated and clueless. He is another guy who looked like a rookie but also showed some potential.

I think Jabril Cox, if he stay healthy, will be a really good player for Dallas. His sideline to sideline speed will help against guys like Deebo Samuel and other nifty speedy RBs who like to get the edge. I think he will be better than Keanu Neal was this year. Cox showed he can play in the preseason games. His injury was a big disappointment.

I think Simi Fehoko is going to disappoint. But he has some athletic ability. I suspect he could be a replacement for Michael Gallup and with Gallup, Wilson, Brown and Malik Turner all hitting free agency, Fehoko will get a big opportunity to play next year. I just don;t know if he has the quickness to get separation from NFL CBs.

Finally, Matt Farniok is going to challenge for the starting C position next year.

I think this draft class is pretty darn good even if one or two of these guys fails to meet expectations.

Osa hit that mid October rookie wall.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
So for the record, getting 2 quality starters is about the standard for a good draft. You go back and look at teams' past draft classes, they usually don't do a lot better than that.

Parsons is an All-Pro stud, and you could probably justify the entire draft with his pick alone. But we've still got irons in the fire with Osa and Joseph, who both looked promising, and Jabril is a starter level talent too. I think we've got plenty of irons in the fire outside of Parsons who could also turn into good players.

Zman5

Reaction score
We still got a lot of quality snaps from this rookie class besides Parsons. So far, this draft has been a success. We really won't know until after year three.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
These picks were made largely because Quinn wanted to bring the Seattle defense to Dallas. So, if he leaves, are we going to run his defense because, if not, we picked a lot of guys who might not fit another scheme, especially the 6'4 corners.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Plays on the field was pretty strong for this entire group...as to a positive contribution of team strength.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
They got the pass rusher by pure luck and with that draft position along with all those extra picks you got to come away with more than "quality players to fill out a roster". I'm not sure how you could even say most of the players are quality from what we saw this year.
Other then the first over all pick its all luck then in that view.
In today’s computerized nfl teams easily run all the combinations of the order of who teams select. They have rumor of who a team has been paying extra attention to; example even we fans knew Chicago needed a QB. PHILLY loved Devonta Smith. Particularly that high in the draft. The draft is so important they spend money figuring out what the competition is doing.
Once the two hot CB were selected it was a done deal, imo

mardwin

Reaction score
Osa hit that mid October rookie wall.

Osa will be ok. From the 2021 draft class besides Parsons, Osa was the only rookie that contributed. The two corners were a big disappointment specially with how bad Anthony Brown and Jordin Lewis were at times.

mardwin

Reaction score
These picks were made largely because Quinn wanted to bring the Seattle defense to Dallas. So, if he leaves, are we going to run his defense because, if not, we picked a lot of guys who might not fit another scheme, especially the 6'4 corners.

The 6'4 corner might not be around after next season. He didn't show anything on defense and didn't look very good on special teams.

RonWashington

Reaction score
“Secondary” was the issue going into the season and yet not a one of them contributed to much out of what 3 picks . Anthony Brown yet again had a pick played as well as anyone else on that D on Sunday I don’t think it’s a given Joseph starts in 22 .

Offensive line , 2 more picks in the draft went into that dept and disappeared . Will Farniok challenge at either center or guard ? How about he starts out in training camp battling to start at G replacing “ holding # 52 “ ….and when Collins was trying to get back on the field and Smith was missing with injury Josh Ball was a rumor.

The best of the draft obviously # 11 and hopefully Jabril Cox is the linebacker he’s capable of becoming .

Yoko Ono Fihoko out of Stanford lost out to Malik Turner a pre season receiver no one expected anything from .

Like the job Will McClay does yr in yr out but right now because of the Parsons pick and OSA who I think gets better and little else a B - . 2022 training camp should provide a clearer pic

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This draft will always be remembered for Parsons but what may be forgotten is how important it was for Dallas to get numerous quality players. Top 10 draft position doesn't come around too often for this franchise and in addition to that we had a lot of extra picks. Because of how cap-strapped the Cowboys are (and will continue to be), along with all the impending free agents, they really needed to come away with at least a few quality future starters.

Instead of using their extra picks to move up and go get the guys they wanted, they instead decided to stay put and draft 11 players which seemed dumb at the time and still seems very dumb. Parson's was obviously a home run and the best pick of the entire draft. How much credit can really be given to this front office for the pick though considering they did just about everything they could to not select him? They were basically forced to pick him. Very fortunate to have Carolina and Denver take CBs and the Eagles and Bears/Giants to pass him over.

It's still early to tell on the rest of the draft class but it doesn't look too promising. Pick 44 (Joseph) was a selection they absolutely needed to nail and they got very little production out of such a high pick, especially considering that was a somewhat weak position group. He did seem to come on at the end of the year though. To make matters worse they drafted him over Asante Samuel Jr.

Odighizuwa seemed to start off the year pretty well but by the end of the season looked like a JAG. Our track record with developing DT's is abysmal so not much hope here. Didn't get to see much of Jabril Cox due to injury but he has some promise. Maybe Josh Ball can be your swing tackle. No one else is even worth mentioning really imo.

Hopefully some of these players can make a huge leap in Year 2 but after Year 1 this draft class is not looking great outside of Parsons.

-First of all, you cannot judge a draft class after 1 season, as many picks need development.
-Whenever you draft a superstar, it's a homerun draft. Parsons was the main reason why the defense had such a turnaround.
-Osa was a impact starter, until he hit the rookie wall, He wasn't expected to see so much action, but performed well when called upon.
-Golston without a training camp was serviceable as a rotational player.
-Joseph was expected to take some time, on top of that he missed the first several weeks being hurt, but when he played looked real good.
-Cox was expected to be more of a 2022 player as the LB room was full of players. Jaylon, Lve, Neal could all be gone this offseason.
-There are others who have a future with this team, but need more development.

After 1 season, looks like an excellent class to me.

The Realist

Reaction score

Getting Lamb, Diggs, Dak, Ratliff, Romo, Canty, etc, etc, etc where we did was also luck.