Video: [25:34] Randy Gregory compilation tape (8 games from 2014 season)

itsaboat

Reaction score
Everyone likes highlight reels but people like me want to see more. I took 8 games from Nebraska's 2014 season (Miami, Michigan State, Northwestern, Rutgers, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and USC) and edited them down to show all the plays Gregory was involved in. This allows you to get a more accurate picture of the prospect.

People saying Gregory can't play the run are over exaggerating. When he gets turned he can have problems getting loose but that isn't a surprised when OTs outweigh him by 70+ lbs. He's good enough to control blockers when he can get under them and use his length but he is going to have to put on more bulk and get stronger if he is going to be a 3 down RE.

Luckily, Gregory can rush the pass right now.

It didn't happen often but when he was able to go on a straight pass rush you can see that great get off.

A couple of examples:
PlaintiveWeeklyIrishwaterspaniel.gif

Marinelli must be elated. Watch more of Randy Gregory here:

Gregory complies 3.5 sacks, 7 hurries, 3 batted passes, 1 forced fumble, and 2 blocked kicks in the video.

**Bonus GIF**

Gregory seems like a pretty nice guy
RichInsistentBlacklemur.gif

mickswag

Reaction score
I also suggest checking this video out. A bit longer but good stuff.

Ryan Riddle joins me for a screening of Nebraska edge defender Randy Gregory, a tall, quick prospect with active and heavy hands. Here’s what we cover with one of the safer edge defenders in this class.

• How Gregory wins with his hands and feet.
  • What makes Gregory a linear player and why does that both help and hurt him?
  • Why Gregory is well coached.
  • How a team could integrate film, workouts, and interviews to determine if Gregory can develop more pass rush moves.
  • Why the first play of this game might offer a hint that Gregory has the intelligence and courage to develop a more versatile and refined game.
  • How does Gregory contribute well within his role when playing “team football?”
  • What is “squeezing the hole” mean?
  • Why Gregory has a high floor, but gives Ryan concerns as a top-5 pick?
  • Does Ryan recognize himself in his 2005 scouting report from Street & Smith’s?
I liked what I saw from Gregory in what was my first viewing. I believe he has to develop a more consistent jump off the line, develop and incorporate more pass rushing moves than his chop, and prove that he can pursue and tackle with greater consistency as a run defender. I’d take the chance on him in the first round of this draft class, but I agree with Ryan, there would have to be a lot more to consider to risk investing one of the highest picks in him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone likes highlight reels but people like me want to see more. I took 8 games from Nebraska's 2014 season (Miami, Michigan State, Northwestern, Rutgers, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and USC) and edited them down to show all the plays Gregory was involved in. This allows you to get a more accurate picture of the prospect.

People saying Gregory can't play the run are over exaggerating. When he gets turned he can have problems getting loose but that isn't a surprised when OTs outweigh him by 70+ lbs. He's good enough to control blockers when he can get under them and use his length but he is going to have to put on more bulk and get stronger if he is going to be a 3 down RE.

Luckily, Gregory can rush the pass right now.

It didn't happen often but when he was able to go on a straight pass rush you can see that great get off.

A couple of examples:
PlaintiveWeeklyIrishwaterspaniel.gif

Marinelli must be elated. Watch more of Randy Gregory here:

Gregory complies 3.5 sacks, 7 hurries, 3 batted passes, 1 forced fumble, and 2 blocked kicks in the video.

**Bonus GIF**
Gregory seems like a pretty nice guy

RichInsistentBlacklemur.gif

Great job putting that together.

He might be the best player in the entire draft.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Love his hands... love how teams would devote 2-3 guys to take him out (yea, trying doing that at this level when Hardy is on the other side)... love his speed... needs more mass to be effective at this level though.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
You can tell from the highlights that he is a very disruptive player. He shows some strength with a slight frame.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Impressive work man.

He gets doubled (and even tripled) a ton. Imagine the #'s he's going to put up when teams can't double him because they have to worry about Crawford, Hardy and company.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Don't want to get ahead of myself but his pass rush ability at the college level MAY be better than Ware at the same stage. He bends around that corner with some serious speed and power. He's also equally adept at slanting inside with power. Once he comfortably fills out into his frame at 250-255 or so, he appears to be a lock to average 12+ sacks/season.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You don't have to be bulky if you're quick. Lawrence Taylor wasn't that big, but he was so fast and quick, offensive tackles rarely got their hands on him.

From the video clips, Gregory has a wicked first step and is very quick off the ball. If you are quick enough, you can use your speed and leverage against a bigger man. You just can't let the big man anchor himself. But speed can offset power if speed uses its inherent advantage.

Besides, you can never move faster backwards than you can forwards.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Wow. He really jumps out on the screen. Saw several plays where there were 3 guys assigned to him. Undeniable talent there.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I already loved the player so I didn't need any selling but I took a few things away from the video:

• He has a remarkable feel for the game. He has tremendous instincts and knocks down a ton of passes.
  • When he is going upfield, his first step is Demarcus Ware fast.
  • He has one of the best inside/swim moves I have ever seen in a college player.
  • He is relentless. He does not stop until the whistle, even when going against much bigger guys.
  • I love how his stats are a mixture of hustle, never giving up as well as incredible athletic ability.
  • Yes I know its college. Yes I know the rules are different. He gets held a TON. Almost as much s he gets double teamed.
  • Who is #7, Collins? If he is available, I would go get that kid too! Bash brothers!
I love the player. I said it at the pick (27) and I say it again, Gregory makes this draft and makes me OK with selecting a boyscout at 27.

We are going to have so much versatility on defense next year. It's going to be up to the coaches to get creative and use it, but I am so excited to see what they can do.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

He blocks FG.

If you are going to run at him it better be right at him with a quick hitter. You can hold him up but he is near impossible to sustain blocks on.

He instills fear into opposing QB. He hit the Rutgers and Gopher QB early and hard. They ran scared all game after that.

He makes his teammates better. You can see him swim back inside pulling the LG over to help. That freed up Collins and other DT several times. Collins is a fine DT and he feasted on QBs stepping up and away from Gregory as well. Teams double and triple teamed him and he was still getting pressure.

He looks bigger than the TE he is facing. He also doesn't appear different sizes from game to game. He looks to be playing at about 250 to me.

marchetta

Reaction score
Great job putting that together.

He might be the best player in the entire draft.

Will people please STOP quoting vids. It sucks to have to scan an entire page to stop duplicate vids! Thank you.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
His swim move is devastating...

visionary

Reaction score
You don't have to be bulky if you're quick. Lawrence Taylor wasn't that big, but he was so fast and quick, offensive tackles rarely got their hands on him.

From the video clips, Gregory has a wicked first step and is very quick off the ball. If you are quick enough, you can use your speed and leverage against a bigger man. You just can't let the big man anchor himself. But speed can offset power if speed uses its inherent advantage.

Besides, you can never move faster backwards than you can forwards.

Great point