2nd Round Short List - 1/27

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't see Dre'Mont Jones get mentioned enough. Seen him all over the place as far as draft ranking, but he's not going to be a 5tech, he's not going to be a 1T/NT, he's basically a 3tech only in a 4-3 which means he might fall a bit because this draft is loaded on DL.

Renell Wren is on our list. They played him at NT in college, which was a waste.

Hockenson is really the only TE on my wish list in round 2.

Jones definitely has "juice".

Point of attack run defense is his issue.

He is excellent at chasing down RBs to the outside.

garyv

Reaction score
Draft OL to play which position? The only thing that would make sense to me is C if we got bad news on Travis...but everything has been positive I’ve heard thus far.

We need Depth do you not see what happens when Tyron Smith is out ? Connor Williams is not above average himself. You always
should keep OL coming in at least one per season its a must or you get old, fat and lazy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Throwing in the towel is a stretch. But thinking Connor Williams is as good as Lindstrom is the stretch. Unlike Connor, Lindstrom is strong enough right now to play against the biggies we play in the NFCE. Connor is a competant backup which always has value.
Willams was a fringe 1st round talent that progressed as the season went on and is coming off a game where he held his ground against Donald and Suh. He needs to add power, but I like what I saw this year and don’t see why he won’t continue to get better.

What are you basing your claims on for Lindstrom being a better prospect coming out then Williams?

OG seems like one of the deepest positions if Frederick returns at OC. Not the overall most talented, but the deepest.
Connor Williams or La'el Collins (if they swap spots)
Looney
Sua-Filo
Ehinger

Meanwhile the depth at OT:

cnuball21

Reaction score
OG seems like one of the deepest positions if Frederick returns at OC. Not the overall most talented, but the deepest.
Connor Williams or La'el Collins (if they swap spots)
Looney
Sua-Filo
Ehinger

Meanwhile the depth at OT:

I’d like to resign Can Fleming. Then maybe draft a development swing OT mid late?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d like to resign Can Fleming. Then maybe draft a development swing OT mid late?

That is probably what they will do; however, if Fleming had to play most of the season at LT, I think the season is doomed and mid-late rookie OT is unlikely to be a good option as a rookie.

I would at a minimum cross-train Connor Williams as an OT.

The better option would be to move him to OT during training camp and the pre-season games. Then towards the end of camp they can decide if they want him to play OG or OT. Even if they move him back to OG, they at least have the option to play him at OT during the season if needed. Without extensive work at OT during camp, he would not be an option to move during the season.

cnuball21

Reaction score
That is probably what they will do; however, if Fleming had to play most of the season at LT, I think the season is doomed and mid-late rookie OT is unlikely to be a good option as a rookie.

I would at a minimum cross-train Connor Williams as an OT.

The better option would be to move him to OT during training camp and the pre-season games. Then towards the end of camp they can decide if they want him to play OG or OT. Even if they move him back to OG, they at least have the option to play him at OT during the season if needed. Without extensive work at OT during camp, he would not be an option to move during the season.

Backups are backups...pretty much every team in the league is going to struggle if their LT goes down. I think Fleming has shown we can survive with him if we did lose Smith.

I’m also not a big fan of flip flopping players around - let Williams grow and develop at LG IMO.