3 and out not an option

silvrNblue

Reaction score
The Ghost of Romo will forever haunt some in this forum. So since you want to go there, yes, Romo couldn't win the Big game in the playoffs but at least he would put up big points against good defenses. Not just yards and field goals like Dakota does against good defenses in garbage time.

I agree that Dak should use his legs more, but Dak is his own player with his own skill set. He has nothing to do with Romo.
All very true shabazz, BUT look over at the Texans, it took the fans screaming to fire the HC to get them to utilize Watson with HIS strengths, which is using his legs and keeping the play alive. He has turned a corner, here it seems Garrett, or Moore or someone is holding down the switch on Dak, forcing him to be something he is pretty good at, IE standing in the pocket, from what his real strength is, and that is using his legs and big frame to RUN. It's totally obvious that these coaches have nutered Dak....

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I find it funny to watch. I supported Romo, and I support Dak. I see plenty of Romo haters who are all in on Dak and are using the exact same arguments that Romo supporters used that the Romo haters called "excuses." Now some of the Romo-supporters that aren't Dak supporters (or are but are trolling former Romo-haters) are using the same tactics.

Dak is having the same problem Romo did in that the rest of the team isn't doing all that much to help. A lot of drops, some bad blocking against decent defenses, the defense allowing opponents to score nearly at will....so Dak feels he has to do more...hence he forces the ball and makes tactical errors resulting in interceptions.

And so the cycle continues until the culture changes.
It’s odd. I know it’s only on the internet, but when did people get so comfortable with hypocrisy? It used to trait people tried to improve or at least hide.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys have the number 1 offense in the league and we are talking about it not working? I admit, they have had some problems running the football and the coaches have clearly lose confidence in the running game or something, but to me the problem is red zone offense. I saw a stat where the Cowboys are 7-18 in the redzone in their 6 losses and 2 for 6 in their last two games (both losses). You can dink and dunk all you want but if you get inside the 20 and can't punch the ball in somehow all you did is work the clock against yourself. This is also where we see the Cowboys make some bad playcalling mistakes. Remember the Jets game when they went for it on 4th down and lost 2 yards? Or the Vikings game where Dak was throwing it like a mad man and for some reason they switched to two running plays only to fail to get any points? In the Bills game, Dak threw that miserable pass at Zeke's feet on 4th down?

There are games when the offense will struggle. That's pretty normal. In those games the defense needs to step up and make plays to help out. So do special teams. Jimmy used to say their are 3 phases of every game, offense, defense and special teams, and you have to win 2 of them to have a chance to win the game. The Cowboys almost never win two of them, especially against good teams.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think it's silly to purposely go slow when your offense has shown the ability to stretch the field. This "this is what we should do no matter what" philosophy is one of the root issues with the Cowboys. What they should really be focusing on is scheming to attack the weakness of the teams they are playing.

shabazz

Reaction score
All very true shabazz, BUT look over at the Texans, it took the fans screaming to fire the HC to get them to utilize Watson with HIS strengths, which is using his legs and keeping the play alive. He has turned a corner, here it seems Garrett, or Moore or someone is holding down the switch on Dak, forcing him to be something he is pretty good at, IE standing in the pocket, from what his real strength is, and that is using his legs and big frame to RUN. It's totally obvious that these coaches have nutered Dak....

Preaching to the choir, my man. Most of us were saying that he HAD to run , just as Lamar Jackson had done, to break the Patriots down.

Im an not a defender of Garrett or Moore, but it seems at odds to willingly take those steps to the detriment of the team. Even if he has been encouraged to become a pocket passer, surely more than just 1 rush should have been ok. Even Rodgers would have rushed at least 5 or 6 times, strategically to convert 3rd downs when the defense has their backs to him. It just doesn't make sense at any level to hamstring Dak

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Kellen is being reactionary. After that Vikings fiasco, everyone called for his and Garrett’s heads for running the ball so much, so now they pass. Now the pass isn’t “working”. What will they do? Who knows.

I think Kevin is going back to what made him successful. As a former quarterback he wanted the ball in his hand and he's trying to get the ball into his quarterbacks hands but Dak cannot do at the NFL level what Kellen did at the college level.

Blackrain

Reaction score
My take on the OP.

Dak can put up numbers like Romo. But who gives a dang about stats. We want wins. So let's get back to what helped us go 13-3 three years ago. Time consuming dink and dunk smashmouth football.

He isn't comparing Dak to Romo or badmouthing either one of those guys. He just wants us to win. Anytime someone brings up Romo's name some of us just start twitching.

But some will bash him for allegedly comparing Dak to Romo. Some will bash Dak. Some will bash Romo. Instead of reading in between the lines. Seek to understand. Before being understood. The OP just wants us to reclaim that winning formula.

No agenda here but keep looking. :cool:

Thank you brother for explaining it better than I could . There is no bashing of Romo here it is the scheme of so much long passing and one guy having to try and carry the team that I am protesting .
Fans on this site complained and bashed Dak because he dinked and dunked only threw for 175yrds and a TD but we won . Now he has proved he can put up stats with the best like Romo did except its not a winning formula for either guy with this dysfunctional team .

I have no agenda except for us to have good football to watch and make the playoffs . Our old boring ball control scheme that the team was built for seems more conducive for protecting all our weaknesses and winning games .
There was some good that came out of this experiment ,teams know Dak has the ability to beat them long and can make those throws now so they are less likely to load the box .

Blackrain

Reaction score
I find it funny to watch. I supported Romo, and I support Dak. I see plenty of Romo haters who are all in on Dak and are using the exact same arguments that Romo supporters used that the Romo haters called "excuses." Now some of the Romo-supporters that aren't Dak supporters (or are but are trolling former Romo-haters) are using the same tactics.

Dak is having the same problem Romo did in that the rest of the team isn't doing all that much to help. A lot of drops, some bad blocking against decent defenses, the defense allowing opponents to score nearly at will....so Dak feels he has to do more...hence he forces the ball and makes tactical errors resulting in interceptions.

And so the cycle continues until the culture changes.
Great post and IMO the only thing that helped stop that cycle was successfully running the ball

blueblood70

Reaction score
This offense has to carry this god awful defense and special teams. When is the offense going to get even an ounce of help? This team has not forced a turnover in 4 games. Putrid.

To ask an offense to constantly move the chains every single drive in the NFL is absurd. I don't care how good you are and how bad the other team is. Every offense will stall. How about the defense chip in and stall out some offenses for us? Nope. They get gashed and embarrassed every single game.
yes the defense has been an issue in many games..

however you must be blind if you did not see the defense doing all they could for 3quarters to hold the bills until the offense started scoring.. they never did..i mean when you fumble and throw a pick and have 3 and outs all night , the defense gets tired..they played 4 days prior..

it works both ways but in NE you hand NE 10 points on 2 very short fields.. thats the offense and ST, the defense kept NE in check all that game..
GB again TOIs early and getting behind because of them caused the d to break down.. 12-10 in NO witten fumbles in scoring area, bad call on the other fumble but it counts.. short fields the offense and ST forced on our D has created issues..

these have been team losses some part of the team or coaching has broke down in very close losses and its not just one issue that can be corrected..

the OP is simply saying it appears the higher risk passing offense is losing TOP and keeping the defense on filed more then they should...

in truth the team needs to get it together, the oline isnt run blocking as well as they should and im not sure we can be smash mouth like in the past..be Balanced and creative, thats the key..

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd also like to add that costly penalties that end drives have contributed to many of our losses!!

Blackrain

Reaction score
yes the defense has been an issue in many games..

however you must be blind if you did not see the defense doing all they could for 3quarters to hold the bills until the offense started scoring.. they never did..i mean when you fumble and throw a pick and have 3 and outs all night , the defense gets tired..they played 4 days prior..

it works both ways but in NE you hand NE 10 points on 2 very short fields.. thats the offense and ST, the defense kept NE in check all that game..
GB again TOIs early and getting behind because of them caused the d to break down.. 12-10 in NO witten fumbles in scoring area, bad call on the other fumble but it counts.. short fields the offense and ST forced on our D has created issues..

these have been team losses some part of the team or coaching has broke down in very close losses and its not just one issue that can be corrected..

the OP is simply saying it appears the higher risk passing offense is losing TOP and keeping the defense on filed more then they should...

in truth the team needs to get it together, the oline isnt run blocking as well as they should and im not sure we can be smash mouth like in the past..be Balanced and creative, thats the key..

Im not against balance all about taking some high percentage shots IF THEY ARE THERE. But we have to run the ball and if Zeke cant get it done Dak needs to have at least 5 called runs in this Bears game . I would like to see Dak have 30 -40 rush yrds in this game . Its like Rocky switching to south paw . Its time to pull out the stops use Dak as the weapon he can be and win this freakin division on a good note with some pride .

Stop trying these impossible FGs at long range that give opponents great field position run Dak and move the chains to score TDs. Our whole game plan has gone of the rails and is dependent on the worst kicker in the league because we cant stay ahead of the chains like we used to .

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'd also like to add that costly penalties that end drives have contributed to many of our losses!!

I believe you are 100% right and not staying ahead of the chains and causing our Oline to have to block forever and get holding penalties to let plays develop is not helping . Along with the Fact the Refs screwed us in Foxborough but I guess they do that to every team .

I want 3rd and 3 Not Amari having to make some spectacular catch in the rain to win the game . If we had guys like Hopkins who could catch anything thrown close to his vicinity I would have a different feeling . Our guys just drop too many passes

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ok we have had fun with this little experiment in trying to make Dak into Romo and Dak has proved what one man can do another can do . Great stats and less wins

Now if nobody minds its time to go back to what worked in the past and concentrate on moving the chains , Dink and dunking down the field while controlling the clock and PROTECTING our defense .

Dak has to take this team on his back and run the ball when necessary to pick up the firsts . We need long controlled drives ending in TDs Featuring our expensive running game that we were built for .

We cant leave this game in Garrets hands the officials hands or our idiot kicker . This game needs to work off the way this team was built and intended to function SMASH MOUTH RUNNING . Its time to abandon ROMO BALL and turn this thing around .
Dallas is #2 in fewest 3and outs.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff/2019

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Lot of Cooper Rush hate in here. Has the guy even thrown a pass in a regular season game? He's looked rather decent in pre-season excluding last season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ok we have had fun with this little experiment in trying to make Dak into Romo and Dak has proved what one man can do another can do . Great stats and less wins

Now if nobody minds its time to go back to what worked in the past and concentrate on moving the chains , Dink and dunking down the field while controlling the clock and PROTECTING our defense .

Dak has to take this team on his back and run the ball when necessary to pick up the firsts . We need long controlled drives ending in TDs Featuring our expensive running game that we were built for .

We cant leave this game in Garrets hands the officials hands or our idiot kicker . This game needs to work off the way this team was built and intended to function SMASH MOUTH RUNNING . Its time to abandon ROMO BALL and turn this thing around .
I’d agree with the basis here which me and others have been arguing but not sure it was necessary to bash others in the process.

erod

Reaction score
This offense has to carry this god awful defense and special teams.

The Patriots scored 9 points.
The Bills hardly lit it up.

This team has defensive problems, but the biggest problems are on offense. Good defenses just destroy it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I agree this team is built to run first and should stick to it, but Dak is saddled with the same albatross as Romo - being expected to overcome the defense and special teams.

Bring in any QB you want. If the STs are dead last in multiple categories and the defense is dead last in interceptions, you're only going so far.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We didn't win anything when Romo was passing like crazy and we didn't have a running game. same thing now. This offense has to be balanced to win. Saying that the special teams and defense are so bad I don't think it matters. The Hot Boyz what a laugh.