3rd down - who scares you more Heath at S or Taco at RE

visionary

Reaction score
As it stands today without Gregory, Taco is probably the RE on 3rd down. Unless there’s a unicorn in the 2nd that can contribute as a rookie.

And Heath whose as bad as RW31 in pass coverage is there.

So if you can only address 1 which would it be

Both scare me more

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s like we’re dating 5’s at both spots and we’re afraid to ask out the 8’s that are showing interest in us.

If there are 8s showing interest, we should ask them.

But combining two fives doesn’t give us a ten.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Holy man talk about a assinine thought process between Taco and Heath.

Has anyone here ever had to make personnel decisions ever in your lives? Work or sports teams?

You never chose the loser who quits on the team. Ever!! How do you think the rest of the defence would think when you sit down Heath and let Taco run with his JAGoff routine.

Your team will never make it past the camps, and you will lose the respect of your team and the defence.

Heath is not all world, and we can certainly use an upgrade, but to even consider him a greater liability than Taco that's ********.

Liabilities are players who are not even good enough to dress. Players who show up at practice and are ready to contribute on the field is the formula to fielding a football team.

Taco vs Heath...sheesh. Why don't we stock the entire team with a pile of friggin Tacos. Gawd!!!

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
If we get a better pass rush, we are a superbowl team.

This is not getting enough airplay. The armchair GMs on this forum don't get it.

On one hand they are *****ing about the quality of our QB play. They are acknowledging how much the QB impacts the game. The person who touches the ball 95% of the time in a game, and distributes it.

If you wanted to impact another team there is no better way than to impact the QB position. Anything else is reactionary. In the real world that is known as TOO LATE. Fire fighting and responding to something is not the best formula for success.

Influencing the course of play and the pace and direction of the game is winning football. This is the unspoken Belichick way. He designs schemes and approaches with players who affect the game, and ultimately the QB with his defences.

You focus on the QB because that is how you win. Riddle me this. Why do the Giants suck so bad nowadays. Is it because of Beckham, Barkley or Riley or Collins? Why didn't their amazing safeties make the difference for them and take over and win games?

You can't win games from the safety position, but you can from the QB, DE positions. Those two positions are the hammer positions in football. Safety is a nail position.

kskboys

Reaction score
Holy man talk about a assinine thought process between Taco and Heath.

Has anyone here ever had to make personnel decisions ever in your lives? Work or sports teams?

You never chose the loser who quits on the team. Ever!! How do you think the rest of the defence would think when you sit down Heath and let Taco run with his JAGoff routine.

Your team will never make it past the camps, and you will lose the respect of your team and the defence.

Heath is not all world, and we can certainly use an upgrade, but to even consider him a greater liability than Taco that's ********.

Liabilities are players who are not even good enough to dress. Players who show up at practice and are ready to contribute on the field is the formula to fielding a football team.

Taco vs Heath...sheesh. Why don't we stock the entire team with a pile of friggin Tacos. Gawd!!!
You forgot to consider the position they play.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is not getting enough airplay. The armchair GMs on this forum don't get it.

On one hand they are *****ing about the quality of our QB play. They are acknowledging how much the QB impacts the game. The person who touches the ball 95% of the time in a game, and distributes it.

If you wanted to impact another team there is no better way than to impact the QB position. Anything else is reactionary. In the real world that is known as TOO LATE. Fire fighting and responding to something is not the best formula for success.

Influencing the course of play and the pace and direction of the game is winning football. This is the unspoken Belichick way. He designs schemes and approaches with players who affect the game, and ultimately the QB with his defences.

You focus on the QB because that is how you win. Riddle me this. Why do the Giants suck so bad nowadays. Is it because of Beckham, Barkley or Riley or Collins? Why didn't their amazing safeties make the difference for them and take over and win games?

You can't win games from the safety position, but you can from the QB, DE positions. Those two positions are the hammer positions in football. Safety is a nail position.
Not just DE, the DLine as a whole. You need a complete disruptive DLine to disrupt playoff caliber QB's.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Considering Taco sucks so bad the coaching staff has him riding pine on 3rd downs, Heath is the obvious answer.

The fact that Heath led all safeties in missed tackles last season is bad enough, the fact that he is still our starter right now is even worse.

And we wouldn't pony up and extra $3 million for ET:facepalm:

kskboys

Reaction score
Considering Taco sucks so bad the coaching staff has him riding pine on 3rd downs, Heath is the obvious answer.

The fact that Heath led all safeties in missed tackles last season is bad enough, the fact that he is still our starter right now is even worse.

And we wouldn't pony up and extra $3 million for ET:facepalm:
Not obvious. Heath is easily abused in coverage.

SSoup

Reaction score
I like Taco *more* on 3rd & long when he can put any thought of defending the run out of his mind and just focus on rushing the passer. At the end of the day, I think that's where he'll be his best as a pass-rusher. In a spot where he can just go, with zero worry about being responsible for some running lane? I think I like him more in that situation than I like him on 1st or 2nd down.

I don't know that I'd say the same for Heath, or really any DB

Them

Reaction score
He makes a play here and there. But misses a tackle every once in a while also.

I remember a safety we used to have that missed 2 tackles in the ravens game that resulted in 2 tds. Missed them on the LOS. Was the same exact play both times. Was the last game in the old stadium. He didn’t catch as much crud as Heath.

I saw that game, and those plays...they were horrible to watch....Should have never happened...but they did!:mad:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If there are 8s showing interest, we should ask them.

But combining two fives doesn’t give us a ten.

There was a 10 that wanted to marry us, but she wanted a very large engagement ring.

So what did we do? We slipped a decoder ring out of a box of Frosted Flakes on her finger. She doesn't return our calls anymore:(

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
,,,:rolleyes:,,,It would have to be
YOU! in the upcoming longingly awaited for in harness straining anticipation of yer' NEXT follow-up off season thread titled header of speculative skillet scramble,,,o_O

*the #38 don't groove to the tune of the flute yer' fingerin' ,while yer' planted lips are lustily blowin' upon ya know?,,,, just sayin', bro!:thumbup:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As it stands today without Gregory, Taco is probably the RE on 3rd down. Unless there’s a unicorn in the 2nd that can contribute as a rookie.

And Heath whose as bad as RW31 in pass coverage is there.

So if you can only address 1 which would it be

Wow, that is a tough one.

But it doesn't take long. Taco is about as horrid as it gets. Heath at least is a tough kid and tries hard. He knows his limitations. Taco is just horrible and a bad attitude. Kid has no hope what so ever.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Heath by a landslide. A huge landslide. While Taco has yet to make plays, I feel as if he's been competent setting the edge and holding his own.

Heath, OTOH, is easily left in the dust w/ any semblance of a move in coverage, as he simply does not possess the burst or lateral agility to mirror any moves. It's just way too easy for a competent OC to scheme him into coverage. That's why he'll look so good at times. He's strictly a downhill S, which means he's great coming straight at the action. Problem is, it's just not going to work that way every time, esp w/ a competent OC on the other side.

If you think Taco has been holding the edge and holding his own they you simply haven't been watching. The kid gets stone walled and thrown around like a rag doll. Worst DE prospect I have ever seen.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak does!!!!!!!! 3rd and 7+ and I always feel the Cowboys might as well put Jeff Heath at QB. The chances of converting would be about the same.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
We need upgrades. It would improve this team.

But based on choosing between Taco and Heath. We need an upgrade at Taco's area, the defensive line. There are so many unknowns waling into this season.

How will they resolve the Gregory situation? Which Taco will show up for camp and the season? Will they have stoutness this year in the interior of the line? How many teams are looking at the Rams formula late in the season to beat up on a Marinelli style d-line?

Yes, we can write just as many doubting questions if not more about the Safeties and Heath, but I beleive you win the games at the front lines.

Plays are made in this league in the first three seconds. The league is designed to make the passing game successful.

Of the top (15) passers in 2018, and yes Prescott was in this group, the lowest completion percentage was 62%. http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/year/2018/seasontype/2

Disrupting the passer, and stopping the run is winning football. The players and unit who can do this the best is the d-line. They are the front lines of making the QB's life miserable.

They set the table for run defence in not only disrupting the blocking schemes, but they also keep things clean for LBs who fill in gaps and support with tackles.

If you have a safety who has a crap load of tackles you have one of two things. A guy who is crashing down a lot and susceptible to play action or you have a porous defence up front, and the safeties have to be the last line of defence.

It is not a sound game plan to rely on the last line of defence! You can have schemes to ensure they cover the areas of greatest risk, and support against offensive threats, but having them isolated one on one is risky. That's why we dumped Ryan. The coaching staff at the time thought Ryan's defences were fundamentally unsound.

Here is a great quote from Billick. It's an easy concept, and the principle has never changed in this ever evolving pass happy league called the NFL.

“If you can get pressure, the really good defenses – and when we went to the Super Bowl, one of the hallmarks of our team – was our ability to put pressure on quarterbacks with just a four- or five-man rush,” said Billick, who is now an analyst for NFL Network. “When you can do that, then that gives you a lot of latitude on the back end to play matchup, man, matchup zones, trap zones, it just gives you a lot of latitude. If you have to bring six and seven guys on a regular basis, that’s great but you better be pretty good on the back end."

I don't know the budget the Jones and the coaching staff is working with. I'm going to naturally assume that Richards had got to be in on the conversations going on about personnel he would like for his style of defence along with Marinelli.

If there is one glaring question that hasn't been raised by Cowboys' fans everywhere it is: "Where was Richards opinion about the value of Earl Thomas if he is to be the saviour of this defence?" Why wasn't he thumping the table in front of the Jones and ensuring they would drop all resources to get the man?

We need upgrades. The Earl Thomas ship has sailed. I would like to see this team focus on shooting its wad on the defensive line, and supporting immediate upgrades in this area through either the draft or remaining talent left in free agency.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Heath can be a solid depth guy, is a great character player, and can help you on special teams. All Taco brings at this point is a poor attitude.

Jeff Heath's problem isn't Jeff Heath. He just shows up and puts out effort. If we aren't getting the production we expect that's on the coaches and mgmt.

Until someone slams the door on Jeff Heath and his position on the team he is going to go out there and try to do what the coaches ask him to do.

Way better than what Taco was bringing to the team according to some reports.

Let's face it we could use upgrades, but to hear the posters ragging on Heath as if it was his fault is ridiculous. He plays a position. His job isn't talent evaluation or team risk mgmt.

kskboys

Reaction score
If you think Taco has been holding the edge and holding his own they you simply haven't been watching. The kid gets stone walled and thrown around like a rag doll. Worst DE prospect I have ever seen.
Does he really? No, I have not been watching him specifically.

Then I have to go w/ neither. Heath simply cannot mirror well enough to be the last line of D. Can't break down and make the tackle in the open field consistently enough.