3rd down - who scares you more Heath at S or Taco at RE

kskboys

Reaction score
Jeff Heath's problem isn't Jeff Heath. He just shows up and puts out effort. If we aren't getting the production we expect that's on the coaches and mgmt.

Until someone slams the door on Jeff Heath and his position on the team he is going to go out there and try to do what the coaches ask him to do.

Way better than what Taco was bringing to the team according to some reports.

Let's face it we could use upgrades, but to hear the posters ragging on Heath as if it was his fault is ridiculous. He plays a position. His job isn't talent evaluation or team risk mgmt.
It's not Heath's fault at all. I love the guy, he simply doesn't possess the skillset to be a good S. It's the org's fault for making him the starter.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
It's not Heath's fault at all. I love the guy, he simply doesn't possess the skillset to be a good S. It's the org's fault for making him the starter.

Outside of him being one of the team leaders and and being a stand up player who puts out effort here's what we have in Heath:

1. His recognition skills are not the best. I find he hangs onto the run too long. He wants to put his head into the mix, but teams are going to scheme his aggressiveness, and lack of recognition.
2. He is not the most natural cover safety. if he gets wrong-footed he doesn't recover well. I'm not expecting Deion recovery here, but it is pedestrian to say the least.
But, in his defence...
3. When the ball is in the air he tracks it as well as any Cowboy, and turns into a nice receiver.
4. Straight line this kid has wheels. Not turn and go, but straight line. he showed it in tracking Carr. He showed it in tracking Rodgers' ill advised downfield pass for an int.

He is a football player. If we can keep him, and give him a position to succeed at it would be great. The coaching staff and player personnel team have to figure that out.

kskboys

Reaction score
Outside of him being one of the team leaders and and being a stand up player who puts out effort here's what we have in Heath:

1. His recognition skills are not the best. I find he hangs onto the run too long. He wants to put his head into the mix, but teams are going to scheme his aggressiveness, and lack of recognition.
2. He is not the most natural cover safety. if he gets wrong-footed he doesn't recover well. I'm not expecting Deion recovery here, but it is pedestrian to say the least.
But, in his defence...
3. When the ball is in the air he tracks it as well as any Cowboy, and turns into a nice receiver.
4. Straight line this kid has wheels. Not turn and go, but straight line. he showed it in tracking Carr. He showed it in tracking Rodgers' ill advised downfield pass for an int.

He is a football player. If we can keep him, and give him a position to succeed at it would be great. The coaching staff and player personnel team have to figure that out.
Good stuff.

Unfortunately, Heath was blessed w/ stiff hips. As long as he'd the downhill S and can get there before a ball carrier has the chance to make a move, he's great. Problem is, that's just not always going to be the case. Good DC's will put him into coverage where he has to break down and turn to stay w/ the guy.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Good stuff.

Unfortunately, Heath was blessed w/ stiff hips. As long as he'd the downhill S and can get there before a ball carrier has the chance to make a move, he's great. Problem is, that's just not always going to be the case. Good DC's will put him into coverage where he has to break down and turn to stay w/ the guy.

His favorite scheme is shell defence. He makes the majority of his plays off one of two simple keys, and if he can become the free man and run to the play he can be successful.

Creeping him down to the line of scrimmage puts him in jeopardy. This is putting him in a position of peril. It's not his game.

The kid was a soccer phenom who became a football player because his father and grandfather played and coached football.

He has talent, and he has guts. Use him right and the fans will be less disappointed.

Number1

Reaction score
As it stands today without Gregory, Taco is probably the RE on 3rd down. Unless there’s a unicorn in the 2nd that can contribute as a rookie.

And Heath whose as bad as RW31 in pass coverage is there.

So if you can only address 1 which would it be

neither, both average athletes

got get DTs - fix the problem