4 rookies starting on defense, plus two FAs?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know it's too early to know who exactly will be starting and it will depend some on the progress of the younger players, but it seems like in the base defense Quinn wants to use that we could have four rookies and two free agents starting:

Osa Odighizuwa — One of the things we want to accomplish with the pseudo-3-4 fronts we will be running is to be a lot better against the run than we were last year. Despite his size, Odighizuwa might already be one of the better interior run defenders we have because he makes good use of leverage and his long arms. Outside of one player I'll mention in a minute, we don't have a lot of strong run defenders to play a 3-4 end spot. It isn't a strength of Watkins, Gallimore or Hill.

Brent Urban — It's very likely in the pseudo-3-4 that Urban will be on the field as either a 3-4 end or nose tackle. At this point, he's the best run defender we have while not bringing much as a pass rusher. His height and size make him a better fit for end than nose tackle, but we could need him there if the next guy doesn't show the ability to handle the role as a rookie.

Quinton Bohanna — Bohanna fits everything you'd expect from a two-down NT. He's big and hard to move. Whether he can engage two blockers by controlling the center or proving difficult to move without help is the question that will determine his contribution. He doesn't offer much of anything as a pass rusher, which is why he was available late in the draft, but if he can fill this niche role, that's what Dallas wants of him.

Micah Parsons — It's pretty obvious the Cowboys want the player they drafted No. 12 overall to start. How much he'll be out there could depend on whether he's shaky in coverage. Dallas wants him out there all three downs partly so it can send him into the backfield at any time to wreak havoc. But if he's one of the two linebackers out there against the pass, he has to be able to cover some. Now, if he can't, the team might just choose to line him up as a pass-rushing end, but it's difficult to say how he'd handle being a hand-on-the-ground rusher.

Demontae Kazee — Although Keanu Neal is also going to have a role in this defense (likely as a nickel/dime linebacker and possibly splitting strong safety some with Donovan Wilson), it appears Kazee will be counted on to start at free safety. Although he's coming off an injury, he's proven to be a solid player in the role. The main question is how much of a toll, if any, the injury has taken. There's no proven backup if he falters.

Kelvin Joseph — With Dallas letting Chidobe Awuzie walk (and rightly so), it appears Dallas' best bet might be starting a second-round rookie like it did last year. It's possible either Anthony Brown or Jourdan Lewis could take the role if Joseph isn't ready, but that's not close to ideal.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think Joseph starts at CB and one of the DL you have don’t

Could be. It's hard to say a third-round and sixth-round draft pick are going to start. I just don't think we have other linemen as good against the run.

Trysten Hill hasn't done much against the pass or run and gets turned too easily by offensive linemen.

Gallimore can make some plays against the run with his burst, and might be the most likely to start over one of the rookies, but run defense isn't his strongest area, either.

One of the knocks against Watkins when we picked him up in free agency is that he wasn't all that great against the run.

So, depending on the progress of the rookies, I could see Gallimore being out there. It's just that he's not a big-time run stuffer.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@gimmesix Even more important than starting is:
Odiggy is likely better than Crawford.
Bohanna is likely better than Poe and Woods.
Parsons is likely better than any LB on roster.
Bossman Fat is likely better than Awuzie.
Kazee is likely better than Woods.
Neal is better than Jaylon or Woods.

No matter what, likely improvement even if the draft picks beat out the FAs.

visionary

Reaction score
Could be. It's hard to say a third-round and sixth-round draft pick are going to start. I just don't think we have other linemen as good against the run.

Trysten Hill hasn't done much against the pass or run and gets turned too easily by offensive linemen.

Gallimore can make some plays against the run with his burst, and might be the most likely to start over one of the rookies, but run defense isn't his strongest area, either.

One of the knocks against Watkins when we picked him up in free agency is that he wasn't all that great against the run.

So, depending on the progress of the rookies, I could see Gallimore being out there. It's just that he's not a big-time run stuffer.

I think Gallimore and Bohanna will be given every chance to start

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Gregory Odiggy Gallimore Dlaw

Also come out with this look

Odiggy Bohanna Urban
DLAW LVE Parsons Cox

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
How exactly are 3 defensive tackles going to start, especially on a team that's going to be in nickel 65-70% of the time?

People are still wildly overvaluing what Bohanna is going to be asked to do. Barring injury, he's playing short yardage snaps. He's not going to play first- and second-down with any regularity.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
How exactly are 3 defensive tackles going to start, especially on a team that's going to be in nickel 65-70% of the time?

People are still wildly overvaluing what Bohanna is going to be asked to do. Barring injury, he's playing short yardage snaps. He's not going to play first- and second-down with any regularity.
I still don’t think people understand what the hybrid defense looks like. And to be fair no one outside of Dan Quinn knows for sure. I think people are still Thinking too much in terms of a traditional 3-4 front. I’d be surprised if our base D didn’t align more like a 4-3 just with one DE standing. Like you said I doubt we see a true NT used much. Bohanna likely plays short yardage and goal line duties.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We really don't know what we have in Hill or Gallimore yet. They both showed some flashes last year. But lack of playing time due to injuries, and a screwed up scheme. And without an off-season rally held them back.
I will hold off any judgements until we see them on the field with a full off-season and a better scheme.

As for Watkins, maybe with some surrounding players he will be what they want. He doesn't ned to be a star, but just to hold his own on his assignments. I don't know what to expect at this point, but will be pulling for all 3 of these players, as usual.

visionary

Reaction score
Gallimore yes, but not Bohanna.

To start on the defensive line, the flow chart is very simple. "Can you rush the passer?" If yes, compete to start. If no, go straight to sub packages, do not collect $200.

we’ll see
I’m saying “chance to start” from the coaches I’m not saying right or wrong though I think it would be right as you have to be able to stop the run and collapse the pocket and pressure the QB with the front 4 and I think that is easier to achieve with a NT than without one

JMO

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Goal one for every team is to stop the run. So why wouldn’t Bohanna be out there on 1st down?

If Bohanna is good at stopping the run, put him out there and force the team to audible away from the run and make them one-dimensional. If the team audibles to the pass Bohanna can just bull rush right up the gut. If the team wants to run it up the gut, good luck. Welcome to 2nd and long. If the team audibles to a run off tackle, good. Let Parsons and LVE make the play.

If he is good and useful, put him out there.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Goal one for every team is to stop the run. So why wouldn’t Bohanna be out there on 1st down?

If Bohanna is good at stopping the run, put him out there and force the team to audible away from the run and make them one-dimensional. If the team audibles to the pass Bohanna can just bull rush right up the gut. If the team wants to run it up the gut, good luck. Welcome to 2nd and long. If the team audibles to a run off tackle, good. Let Parsons and LVE make the play.

If he is good and useful, put him out there.
Yeah and he can run off when 2 more receivers run on the field.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Goal one for every team is to stop the run.
No it isn't. Not anymore.

“I know that the quickest way to lose is to give up explosions in the passing game,” Staley said. “It takes a lot of 4- and 5-yard runs to add up to a 50-yard pass. If you truly believe that explosions are how you lose in the NFL, you really need to start there in your philosophical structure and how you construct your defense.”

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know it's too early to know who exactly will be starting and it will depend some on the progress of the younger players, but it seems like in the base defense Quinn wants to use that we could have four rookies and two free agents starting:

Osa Odighizuwa — One of the things we want to accomplish with the pseudo-3-4 fronts we will be running is to be a lot better against the run than we were last year. Despite his size, Odighizuwa might already be one of the better interior run defenders we have because he makes good use of leverage and his long arms. Outside of one player I'll mention in a minute, we don't have a lot of strong run defenders to play a 3-4 end spot. It isn't a strength of Watkins, Gallimore or Hill.

Brent Urban — It's very likely in the pseudo-3-4 that Urban will be on the field as either a 3-4 end or nose tackle. At this point, he's the best run defender we have while not bringing much as a pass rusher. His height and size make him a better fit for end than nose tackle, but we could need him there if the next guy doesn't show the ability to handle the role as a rookie.

Quinton Bohanna — Bohanna fits everything you'd expect from a two-down NT. He's big and hard to move. Whether he can engage two blockers by controlling the center or proving difficult to move without help is the question that will determine his contribution. He doesn't offer much of anything as a pass rusher, which is why he was available late in the draft, but if he can fill this niche role, that's what Dallas wants of him.

Micah Parsons — It's pretty obvious the Cowboys want the player they drafted No. 12 overall to start. How much he'll be out there could depend on whether he's shaky in coverage. Dallas wants him out there all three downs partly so it can send him into the backfield at any time to wreak havoc. But if he's one of the two linebackers out there against the pass, he has to be able to cover some. Now, if he can't, the team might just choose to line him up as a pass-rushing end, but it's difficult to say how he'd handle being a hand-on-the-ground rusher.

Demontae Kazee — Although Keanu Neal is also going to have a role in this defense (likely as a nickel/dime linebacker and possibly splitting strong safety some with Donovan Wilson), it appears Kazee will be counted on to start at free safety. Although he's coming off an injury, he's proven to be a solid player in the role. The main question is how much of a toll, if any, the injury has taken. There's no proven backup if he falters.

Kelvin Joseph — With Dallas letting Chidobe Awuzie walk (and rightly so), it appears Dallas' best bet might be starting a second-round rookie like it did last year. It's possible either Anthony Brown or Jourdan Lewis could take the role if Joseph isn't ready, but that's not close to ideal.
I don't see bohanna, urban and Osa starting alongside Lawrence. perhaps later in the year we will see Osa rotate regularly with Galimore. Boahanna may rotate with Hamilton (and maybe Hill).

I think initially we will see Gregory, Gallimore Hamilton, Lawrence to start the year and more and more of the rookies as year goes on. If Hill doesn't step up and grow up, he may fade to the background and become inactive during some games. this is a make or break year for him.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I still don’t think people understand what the hybrid defense looks like. And to be fair no one outside of Dan Quinn knows for sure. I think people are still Thinking too much in terms of a traditional 3-4 front. I’d be surprised if our base D didn’t align more like a 4-3 just with one DE standing. Like you said I doubt we see a true NT used much. Bohanna likely plays short yardage and goal line duties.
yeah I think he will use some hybrid also. And after looking at this. I can definitely see the team has drafted Smith/LVE off the team if these rooks can play.

Gregory/DLAW(leo), Odiggy/Gallimore, Gallimore/Bohanna, DLAW/Urban

Cox/Neal/Smith (Will) LVE/Smith/Parsons (Mike) Parsons/DLAW/Smith(SAM)

Or you can drop the Will and go with a safety type from below in a more nickel look
2 S(3 if nickel) (Lewis/Mukuamu/Kazee/Wilson)

2 CB, Diggs, Joseph/Brown
https://lh3.***BROKEN***/proxy/GiCO-CNRWgiqwAl4ngGiAmvO_4yXpBwfZt0lAY40cuHzjQ_XRr7E1jak0hlPJxwHtOEygfYOiNuc6LzTStLNxQqO_DWe19FvyVWfB6vWXA

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You have 2 rookies and 1 FA starting all at the same position. Urban will probably start at the 1Tech with Gallimore starting at the 3Tech. Everyone else I agree with.
I don't see bohanna, urban and Osa starting alongside Lawrence. perhaps later in the year we will see Osa rotate regularly with Galimore. Boahanna may rotate with Hamilton (and maybe Hill).

I think initially we will see Gregory, Gallimore Hamilton, Lawrence to start the year and more and more of the rookies as year goes on. If Hill doesn't step up and grow up, he may fade to the background and become inactive during some games. this is a make or break year for him.

Hamilton? Who the heck is Hamilton? Whoever he is, he wont be starting over Urban.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You have 2 rookies and 1 FA starting all at the same position. Urban will probably start at the 1Tech with Gallimore starting at the 3Tech. Everyone else I agree with.

Hamilton? Who the heck is Hamilton? Whoever he is, he wont be starting over Urban.
justin hamilton. he is a bigger DT. I thought he was a 1 Tech. I don't think Urban is a 1 Tech. who are the 1 tech. on the team?