4th and 6, you gotta go for the 1st

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyinMD, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Seth5545

Seth5545 Well-Known Member

384 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    This is the problem, the FG was the right choice. Looked like they were playing for a FG. You cant do that with a 1:40 on clock with tom brady on the other side. They stopped the clock twice on their own on the last possession, not sure why.

Kingofholland, Proof and CowboyinMD like this.
  2. JD_KaPow

JD_KaPow jimnabby

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    9,613 Messages
    8,759 Likes Received
    Right. That's why I want a coach who doesn't let the media make his decisions.
    And they do it because winning the game isn't their main incentive: keeping their job is. And they'll never lose their job for making the by-the-book call.

It wasn't really that decision that was so egregiously bad. It was the FG they kicked on 4th-and-goal from the 3 early in the 3rd. That was an awful decision and probably the one that lost the game.

CowboyinMD likes this.
  3. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

7,312 Messages
    7,437 Likes Received
    The only big mistake I think McCarthy made was the 60 yard attempt with a kicker who was struggling. That could have been returned (if short) against a bunch of O-lineman who aren’t catching him

4. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

28,807 Messages
    60,218 Likes Received
    Brady still had time to get a TD, assuming your 4th and 6 call actually works. He was throwing the ball away to kill clock in the end.

JustChip and CowboyinMD like this.
  5. JD_KaPow

JD_KaPow jimnabby

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    9,613 Messages
    8,759 Likes Received
    The big mistake was on the first drive of the 3rd quarter, kicking the field goal on 4th-and-goal at the 3. Terrible decision.

6. CowboyinMD

CowboyinMD Well-Known Member

940 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Yes, but a fresh set of downs would kill the clock even more. TB had what, one TO left with 1:42 left? Maybe none??

7. Sevenup3000

Sevenup3000 Well-Known Member

822 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    It is a tough call...but MM did have 3 TOs...I don't know...I think MM made the right decision.

8. BrassCowboy

BrassCowboy RW Hitman

5,091 Messages
    2,738 Likes Received
    Wow if we wouldn't of made the first, game would of been over right there.
    Sorry, but even you yourself answered your own post because you knew the fg was the right answer so by tampering the obvious replies you might justify doing something that would give us no chance if we didn't make the first.
    Defense had the whole field to stop stop Tampa, they couldn't do it so we lost. No biggie, we move on with a lot to look up to.

Maxmadden and CowboyinMD like this.
  9. TheHerd

TheHerd Well-Known Member

9,521 Messages
    10,336 Likes Received
    Agreed totally. I said it before we kicked it, and after he made it. Our odds of winning after the FG were about 1 in 20

CowboyinMD likes this.
  10. JD_KaPow

JD_KaPow jimnabby

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    9,613 Messages
    8,759 Likes Received
    The goal is to win the game, not to put off losing as long as possible.

TheHerd likes this.
  11. NumOneQB

NumOneQB Well-Known Member

3,112 Messages
    2,661 Likes Received
    Even if Zuerlien had missed every kick, you still trot him out and kick the FG there to attempt to take the lead. We’re not playing Madden here, people.

Verdict and TheHerd like this.
  12. TheHerd

9,521 Messages
    10,336 Likes Received
    After e we made the FG we lost the game. There was close to 0% chance we stop Brady with a minute and a half left. He’s been winning games like that for 20 years against defenses far superior to ours.

LOBO7 likes this.
  13. ZekeTrain

ZekeTrain Well-Known Member

466 Messages
    853 Likes Received
    Mr Analytics did not trust the numbers and chickened out. Brady wins that game 99 out of 100 times. Too much time only needing a FG.

Go with your best chance. Your QB on 4th down. Defense was never going to hold.

LOBO7 likes this.
  14. Word Mofo

Word Mofo Active Member

929 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    If Diggs turned that ball he tipped into an interception it would’ve been the right call

15. TheHerd

9,521 Messages
    10,336 Likes Received
    No but you’re playing the best ever comeback QB against a laughable defense. I had absolutely no doubt we lost the game when our kick went through. It might be the “smart”’ by the book call, but it’s a losing call.

LOBO7 likes this.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

63,221 Messages
    74,875 Likes Received
    They played it right.

They did everything right. You can’t account for a ref not calling a clear push off.

Verdict, CowboyinMD and NumOneQB like this.
  17. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

19,874 Messages
    17,193 Likes Received
    I'm fine with the 4th down call. It's for the lead with under 2 minutes left. 4th and 6 is no gimme, and if we don't make it, the game is over.

But wasn't the 3rd down call basically a give up? On a night when the kicker missed a FG and extra point, and was just squeezing other kicks in?

Needed to be more aggressive on 3rd down. At least *pretend* to try to make a first down.

CowboyinMD likes this.
  18. CowboyinMD

940 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Who here was confident with the win after Dallas went up 29-28? If just one of you honestly say yes, then I'll shut up and admit y'all are right, let's "play for the FG" against the GOAT on his turf with over 1:40 left in the game.

There's a difference btw in playing for the FG with less than 20 seconds left vs. 1:42. Sorry, I would have given 4th and 6 some consideration. They were not stopping Lamb or Coop all game long.

coogrfan likes this.
  19. CowboyinMD

940 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Great point. Wasn't that a sideline pass to Zeke? And he went OOB?

20. Jarntt

Jarntt Well-Known Member

1,320 Messages
    1,484 Likes Received
    No way you go for it there. If the kick was a little longer I'd agree with you but that would have been a horrible decision to go for it. My only concern was that he sucked tonight but you still try it and play the odds

BrassCowboy likes this.