4th and 6, you gotta go for the 1st

TheHerd

Reaction score
If you don't kick that FG then you're saying you have zero confidence your D can get the stop you need to win.

It's a long season. Sure you want to make that kind of statement to your players in week 1?
That's the only argument which has any merit.

But yes, the D is not great, and everyone knows it. Now the players know they can't make a stop when it matters. So there's that.

jaybird

Reaction score
Sorry. We said it at the time (I say "we" because so many of us said it). 4th and 6th, 1:42 left, you HAVE to try for the first down instead of kicking a FG. Some of you will counter with, "well, that's what the defense is paid to do, make a stop late in the game, with a lead." Sure. That works against Tom Brady as much as it did against Aaron Rodgers a few years back in the playoffs.

A first down there should have put the Cowboys in better FG range while bleeding the clock. Sometimes you've gotta make that unconventional call, especially when going up against the GOAT. Had they not made the first down? Not mad...how could we be? We knew Brady would bring them back anyway.
Just hind site nonsense
Thats a slap in your defense face. We stopped Brady if not fir a bad no call

TheHerd

Reaction score
Just hind site nonsense
Thats a slap in your defense face. We stopped Brady if not fir a bad no call

You really believe that? Plenty on here said before our kick we should go for it. And even if they had called the OPI, I have little doubt Brady would have still got them a FG.

And I wouldn't be yelling for MM to be fired had we not made it. My biggest decision criticism in that game was not going on 4th and goal after the Jarwin non-block.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
You really believe that? Plenty on here said before our kick we should go for it. And even if they had called the OPI, I have little doubt Brady would have still got them a FG.

And I wouldn't be yelling for MM to be fired had we not made it. My biggest decision criticism in that game was not going on 4th and goal after the Jarwin non-block.

Yeah, hindsight my foot! Go back to the GameDay thread and you'll see myself and others saying we should go for it.

I keep hearing "kick it and put the ball in your defenses hands". No...you kick it and put the ball in Brady's hands with 1:42 left. Think about that. When you're going up against the GOAT, with house money (nobody gave the Cowboys a chance on the road vs the champs), why not take a chance and go for the kill?

That 4th and 6 call to me was no different than going for a W in regulation with a 2 point attempt vs. a tie and OT with kicking the XP. Does it go against the analytics? Probably. Does it go against the analytics when your facing the GOAT? Probably not.

coogrfan

Reaction score
think the infographic / stat they provided in that situation said that he was 8-18. so....
I'm gonna need some verification on that, because I sure can't remember the last time TB failed to produce a game winning drive when he only needed a fg.

johneric8

Reaction score
Here is my truth..

4 and 6 you've got about a 30 to 40% chance to getting it done.

Brady, with one minute thirty needing a field goal? he will get that 75% of the time...

Kicking the field goal knowing how bad our defense is in those situations is showing too much faith in a unit that for the most part
is still considered horrible.

The right move would of been to go for it and end the game.. If you don't make it, all you have to say is we knew there was too much time
left on the clock so we felt we had to go for it.. I know people would of ripped the coach, but this was a move that made the most sense knowing
our defense.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm gonna need some verification on that, because I sure can't remember the last time TB failed to produce a game winning drive when he only needed a fg.

it absolutely could have been a drunken misread, but i saw it vividly and was surprised lol.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Who here was confident with the win after Dallas went up 29-28? If just one of you honestly say yes, then I'll shut up and admit y'all are right, let's "play for the FG" against the GOAT on his turf with over 1:40 left in the game.

There's a difference btw in playing for the FG with less than 20 seconds left vs. 1:42. Sorry, I would have given 4th and 6 some consideration. They were not stopping Lamb or Coop all game long.
I understand and agree with allot of what you said, just not the part about going for it on 4th and 6 when you need at least 3 points to even have a chance. Miss that and it's over, period.
As far as the bucs not stopping cooper or lamb all game, yeah I just would like to see the cowboys offense get the first down on let's say maybe first down. Yeah let's not wait until 4th and 6

Praxit

Reaction score
..it was information game. You go pragmatic. Big Mike went for lead, got it. If Dallas was down by 7, he'd gone for it.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
no, you have your kicker (who looked like garbage) do what you paid him money to do. First game of the year and you want to get into his head by going for it on a shorter field at 4th and 6 against a D that will throw the kitchen sink at our QB? Good grief.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Sorry. We said it at the time (I say "we" because so many of us said it). 4th and 6th, 1:42 left, you HAVE to try for the first down instead of kicking a FG. Some of you will counter with, "well, that's what the defense is paid to do, make a stop late in the game, with a lead." Sure. That works against Tom Brady as much as it did against Aaron Rodgers a few years back in the playoffs.

A first down there should have put the Cowboys in better FG range while bleeding the clock. Sometimes you've gotta make that unconventional call, especially when going up against the GOAT. Had they not made the first down? Not mad...how could we be? We knew Brady would bring them back anyway.
I think that was the right call. but the bad plays came before hand, when the players kept going out of bounds and stopping the clock.....you have to make plays and stay in bounds....bad play calling. bad clock management. stupid coaching. stupid players.

blueblood70

Reaction score
NOPE someone's still drunk or high from last nights..

Last edited:

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Here is my truth..

4 and 6 you've got about a 30 to 40% chance to getting it done.

Brady, with one minute thirty needing a field goal? he will get that 75% of the time...

Kicking the field goal knowing how bad our defense is in those situations is showing too much faith in a unit that for the most part
is still considered horrible.

The right move would of been to go for it and end the game.. If you don't make it, all you have to say is we knew there was too much time
left on the clock so we felt we had to go for it.. I know people would of ripped the coach, but this was a move that made the most sense knowing
our defense.

Exactly.

Well put.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

couldn't agree more. Even after he hit it, I said we gave the game away with that much time and Brady on the other sideline. You'd think Mike would know better since he's been on the other side when Rodgers did it to us.

willia451

Reaction score
well you cant worry about hurt feelings lol.

Kt0CPC3.gif
[/QUOTE]

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Not wrong, but I think MM would have been roasted more if they didn't make it. Then again, would have been SUPER roasted if Zurlein missed the kick.

That’s a loser mentality you play to win and you the right decision not the scared one.