CFZ 5 games in

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We are 5 games into the season, so now it's time to look at how we have done so far. I'm going to do the Good, the Bad, and the Amazing (not really anything ugly):

The Good:
  • We're 4-1. That's very good.
  • We've beaten both Super Bowl teams from last year.
  • Our coaches, overall, are doing very well.
  • Our special teams, especially Maher, have been very good.
  • Our defence is special and can win games for the team.
  • Our oline has been better than expected.
The Bad:
  • Drops - CeeDee and Gallup have had some very bad drops
  • Kellen Moore tends to get cute when he doesn't have to do so.
  • Anger has had one bad punt per game
The Amazing

• We're doing this with a backup QB
  • Coming into the game, our defence had held teams to 19 or less points in each of the first 4 games for the first time since 1973, we just passed that mark. Ironically, against the same team that ended that streak in 1973 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Dallas_Cowboys_season) in the same city after playing Washington the week before.
  • We were 3-1 when we played the Rams in 1973.
  • We just past that mark by holding the explosive Rams to 10 points.

All in all, things look very good for the Cowboys. The rest of the schedule is follows: @ Philly, Detroit, Chicago, Bye, @ Green Bay, @ Minnesota, NY Giants (Thanksgiving), Indianapolis, Houston, @ Jacksonville, Philadelphia, @ Tennessee, and @ Washington.

The way that I see it, if we play as we should, we should split with Philly, beat Detroit, beat Chicago, beat Green Bay (they look beatable, and I think Rodgers might be very beat up after that game), we should beat Minnesota, and a lot of the rest of it. As I see it, if we play like we should, then I think we should sweep NY, we might drop one or two down the stretch, but I can see us going 13-4 or 12-5 down the stretch. If we can't win the division, then it should net us a very favourable wild card spot. I'd say, as of right now, we are looking very good. What say you all? With where things stand, how are we feeling?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think it's also likely losses down the stretch (assuming we play as we should)would be maybe the Giants (thus splitting the series), maybe Tennessee, split with Philly, and maybe split with Washington if we end up playing our backups (but I expect this to be unlikely). So, assuming we split with our division rivals and lose to Tennessee, that'd put us at 12-5.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We are 5 games into the season, so now it's time to look at how we have done so far. I'm going to do the Good, the Bad, and the Amazing (not really anything ugly):

The Good:
The Bad:
The Amazing

• Coming into the game, our defence had held teams to 19 or less points in each of the first 4 games for the first time since 1973, we just passed that mark. Ironically, against the same team that ended that streak in 1973 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Dallas_Cowboys_season) in the same city after playing Washington the week before.

All in all, things look very good for the Cowboys. The rest of the schedule is follows: @ Philly, Detroit, Chicago, Bye, @ Green Bay, @ Minnesota, NY Giants (Thanksgiving), Indianapolis, Houston, @ Jacksonville, Philadelphia, @ Tennessee, and @ Washington.

The way that I see it, if we play as we should, we should split with Philly, beat Detroit, beat Chicago, beat Green Bay (they look beatable, and I think Rodgers might be very beat up after that game), we should beat Minnesota, and a lot of the rest of it. As I see it, if we play like we should, then I think we should sweep NY, we might drop one or two down the stretch, but I can see us going 13-4 or 12-5 down the stretch. If we can't win the division, then it should net us a very favourable wild card spot. I'd say, as of right now, we are looking very good. What say you all? With where things stand, how are we feeling?
Very hard to predict wins and losses
But we could very well end up going down to the wire with the egirls for the div championship

Buzzbait

Reaction score
5 games in.....Hey over the last 2 games, this team has made a noticeably big turn around.......Penalties! We are not getting the high number of penalties on both sides of the ball we were getting before! I haven't seen anyone else talk about this so I will. They have really turned it around, and I credit HC Mike McCarthy for that! I'd like to see some well earned credit given to HC McCarthy! Job well done MM!:star:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone needs to hope the time off for Dak serves him well and he comes back with a fresh perspective. We need a QB capable of making big time throws and being a run threat to bring this all together.

I was just watching an interview with Dak from the local DFW sports. Asking about what he has learned or observed from on the sidelines.
He saId a lot. Especially seeing how all his teammates react to certain things and situations, and in a good way.

He said playing and being on the field you don’t always get to observe and be part of some of that.
So he will take that and use it to Improve how he does things.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
5 games in.....Hey over the last 2 games, this team has made a noticeably big turn around.......Penalties! We are not getting the high number of penalties on both sides of the ball we were getting before! I haven't seen anyone else talk about this so I will. They have really turned it around, and I credit HC Mike McCarthy for that! I'd like to see some well earned credit given to HC McCarthy! Job well done MM!:star:
You should start a thread about the penalty reduction
It's HUGE!!!!!!

mldardy

Reaction score
Everyone needs to hope the time off for Dak serves him well and he comes back with a fresh perspective. We need a QB capable of making big time throws and being a run threat to bring this all together.
We don't need that.

shabazz

Reaction score
I was just watching an interview with Dak from the local DFW sports. Asking about what he has learned or observed from on the sidelines.
He saId a lot. Especially seeing how all his teammates react to certain things and situations, and in a good way.

He said playing and being on the field you don’t always get to observe and be part of some of that.
So he will take that and use it to Improve how he does things.

im ecstatic that we signed him so cheap before he was able to realize all these thing from watching Rush do from the sidelines. He turned out to be a real bargain.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
im ecstatic that we signed him so cheap before he was able to realize all these thing from watching Rush do from the sidelines. He turned out to be a real bargain.

See, now you are getting to understand it all. :laugh:

JustChip

Reaction score

The Good:
The Bad:
The Amazing

Don’t get too carried away yet. The season is still early. Remember last year? I do think this us a different team. If they are, it’ll be borne out in the next 5-6 games.

Regarding Boy Wonder and cute, did you see what the Cincy OC called last night on 2nd and goal from the 2? A double reverse! It seems the OCs today grew up in Madden and their play calls reflect that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Don’t get too carried away yet. The season is still early. Remember last year? I do think this us a different team. If they are, it’ll be borne out in the next 5-6 games.

Regarding Boy Wonder and cute, did you see what the Cincy OC called last night on 2nd and goal from the 2? A double reverse! It seems the OCs today grew up in Madden and their play calls reflect that.

I get that, and I didn't see the play with the Bengals that you're referencing as I was playing videogames for most of the night. I agree that we can't get carried away, but that's why I said "I'd we play as we should".

blueblood70

Reaction score

and GB not running near enough all cute pass happy cost them, that game.they have 2 very good RBs and hardly use them. seems to me the better the QB the more pass happy deep in the paybook play calls are made.the OCs are more to blame as is MOORE when Daks in..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

The Good:
The Bad:
The Amazing

Gallup has had one drop given he has only played two games...but CD is a trend now.
agreed sometime Kellen gets cute, but I like that he/us are committed to the run now. we ran the ball 30 times yesterday vs. 16 throws....when was the last time that happened.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Gallup has had one drop given he has only played two games...but CD is a trend now.
agreed sometime Kellen gets cute, but I like that he/us are committed to the run now. we ran the ball 30 times yesterday vs. 16 throws....when was the last time that happened.

I like that we run the ball a lot. That's the longest identity of the Cowboys. It's nice we are getting back to that.

visionary

Reaction score

after 6 years starting Dak is who he is , an above average QB who becomes average when he can’t use his feet because he can’t read defenses or throw with anticipation

expecting him to change in 4 weeks is fools good

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Our remaining schedule looks easier with each passing game. Take out the two games with Philly and its difficult not to get over excited.