Twitter: 50% Cowboys fans expected in Superdome

TheGoat73

Reaction score

ukZ5Hnm.png

Who Dat?

Dem Boyz

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I'll be in attendance, first time breaking out the blue Staubach jersey. Last time I was in the dome was the Eagles playoff game last year and it was deafening. Expect much of the same.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

Where do these projections come from? How the heck does anybody know how many Cowboys fans will be there? Personally, I have a hard time figuring how that rabid fan base is going to sell their tix to the enemy...just doesn't make sense. NO isn't a dumpster fire of an organization/team like the team from Washington (where there were a LOT of Cowboys fans in attendance). I hope there are a ton of friendly fans there, but I just can't see the stadium being 50/50.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where do these projections come from? How the heck does anybody know how many Cowboys fans will be there? Personally, I have a hard time figuring how that rabid fan base is going to sell their tix to the enemy...just doesn't make sense. NO isn't a dumpster fire of an organization/team like the team from Washington (where there were a LOT of Cowboys fans in attendance). I hope there are a ton of friendly fans there, but I just can't see the stadium being 50/50.

How would they know? Online ticket sales don't require a statement of loyalty to either team.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

When the Dallas Cowboys are good, with high expectations, the following ensues. That is a trend for all big time franchises across sports. If we sucked, it’d be all Saint’s fans.

I’m excited to say the least and appreciate the heads up, Zordon!

Prime21

Reaction score
Gotta love the Cowboys, immune to other team's home field advantage but have none of their own.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Online ticket sales don't require a statement of loyalty to either team.
Very good point. What I should have said was that I have a difficult time seeing that many tickets available, period. For the crowd to be 50% pro-Cowboys, you'd have to figure somewhere around 80% of all tickets are up for sale (I'm assuming that a lot of Saints fans would be looking for tickets, too). I mean, I may be totally off base in my thinking and it may turn out that way, but that would be very surprising to me.
Seems that the same thing was being said about last year's playoff game in LA, and there were some Cowboys fans there, but there was nowhere near the 50% that was being projected before that game.
Back to my original question, though...if online ticket sales don't require a "loyalty oath" to either team, how do they project with accuracy how many fans of a particular team will attend a particular game? That's kind of what puzzles me. Seems they would have to conduct a survey of some sort, and even if they did, I highly doubt the survey would be scientifically sound.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very good point. What I should have said was that I have a difficult time seeing that many tickets available, period. For the crowd to be 50% pro-Cowboys, you'd have to figure somewhere around 80% of all tickets are up for sale (I'm assuming that a lot of Saints fans would be looking for tickets, too). I mean, I may be totally off base in my thinking and it may turn out that way, but that would be very surprising to me.
Seems that the same thing was being said about last year's playoff game in LA, and there were some Cowboys fans there, but there nowhere near the 50% that was being projected before that game.
There is logic to your point in that between season ticket sales and Saints fans who may have bought individual game tickets as soon as the schedule came out (or as soon thereafter as available), that would cut into what was available for Cowboy fans. Of course, Stub Hub and similar sites make it possible to acquire previously purchase tickets.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Seems that the same thing was being said about last year's playoff game in LA, and there were some Cowboys fans there, but there nowhere near the 50% that was being projected before that game.

Most tickets are season tickets, which obviously would be nearly 100% Saints fans, can't see someone popping hundreds of dollars (thousands?) for season tickets to watch other teams, or the Cowboys for a game there every other year or less.

However, I live 180 miles from N.O., there are tons of Cowboys fans here, far more than anyone would think. Even professed Saints fans, who say they don't like the Cowboys, sure seem to know a lot about the Cowboys game on Monday, regardless of who they play.

Regardless, doesn't take a huge number of fans in a dome, especially one like the Superdome that only holds 73,208 for Saints games, to make a lot of noise, particularly if the Cowboys are doing well and the Saints aren't....

LandryFan

Reaction score
There is logic to your point in that between season ticket sales and Saints fans who may have bought individual game tickets as soon as the schedule came out (or as soon thereafter as available), that would cut into what was available for Cowboy fans. Of course, Stub Hub and similar sites make it possible to acquire previously purchase tickets.
I guess a ton of season ticket holders purchase them for "investment" purposes...many more than I would have thought. I think most teams target 70-80 percent of total ticket sales to season ticket holders and NO, as a franchise, would have no problem reaching that.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
many of the posters here who like this will be upset when we have a large number of Packer fans in our building next week

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Found out a little while ago that my wife and I will be going to the game after all. :dance:Two in-laws may become missing persons if our plans again. :mad:

I have seen some strange things in my life. Seeing 50/50 fan attendance in the Superdome in this day and age would count as strange. Then again, money IS money and event tickets are re-sold for profit all the time everywhere so...

LandryFan

Reaction score
Most tickets are season tickets, which obviously would be nearly 100% Saints fans, can't see someone popping hundreds of dollars (thousands?) for season tickets to watch other teams, or the Cowboys for a game there every other year or less.

However, I live 180 miles from N.O., there are tons of Cowboys fans here, far more than anyone would think. Even professed Saints fans, who say they don't like the Cowboys, sure seem to know a lot about the Cowboys game on Monday, regardless of who they play.

Regardless, doesn't take a huge number of fans in a dome, especially one like the Superdome that only holds 73,208 for Saints games, to make a lot of noise, particularly if the Cowboys are doing well and the Saints aren't....
I think I got a little long winded on this topic. All I was really trying to figure out is how anybody determines that a certain percentage of a fan base will be at a given game. There are probably ways to figure it out and I was just curious as to how they figure it out.

MiddleStar

Reaction score
I think I got a little long winded on this topic. All I was really trying to figure out is how anybody determines that a certain percentage of a fan base will be at a given game. There are probably ways to figure it out and I was just curious as to how they figure it out.

It is based off of online ticket sales and sales data. These companies have an incredible amount of data to tap into. Everything from where tickets were being bought, who is buying hotel rooms, making restaurant reservations and flights. They can tie it back to what other games those individuals have gone to in the past as well. They tap into all kind of things and have incredible algorithms to process this data. The amount of data mining they can do is staggering. In the article it states that they have predicted these kind of things before, and those algorithms are always updated to make more accurate predictions from what they have learned in other predictions/outcomes.