Drafted by Cowboys 5th Round - Pick 155 - OL Matt Woletzko (North Dakota)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueblood70

Reaction score
posting for my buddy:
Weaknesses
Few tests on his schedule at defensive end.
Pad level is a consistent nemesis due to his height.
Needs to improve footwork to become more efficient on work-up blocks.
Over-strides on the initial step, allowing entrance to inside shots.
Pass-setting strides are too long and lethargic.
Leans and collects the rusher rather than sitting back and punching.
Needs more mass and muscle to withstand power rushers.
Lacks desired twitch to handle quick-developing twists.
total TROLL

Bluefin

Reaction score
I disagree on not being able to play. Looked like he dominated at the senior bowl to me.

I think he is the backup LT right away.
Matt Waletzko definitely helped his stock at the Senior Bowl.

I know it was mentioned Thursday night that Josh Ball would be 'competing' with Terence Steele at right tackle, but I expect Ball to be the swing tackle.

Waletzko probably gets a red shirt year, but we'll see what happens when the pads are on.

It'll be a step in the right direction if we can keep scabs like Ty Nsekhe from getting a phone call to re-join the team.

Ken

Reaction score
Matt Waletzko definitely helped his stock at the Senior Bowl.

I know it was mentioned Thursday night that Josh Ball would be 'competing' with Terence Steele at right tackle, but I expect Ball to be the swing tackle.

Waletzko probably gets a red shirt year, but we'll see what happens when the pads are on.

It'll be a step in the right direction if we can keep scabs like Ty Nsekhe from getting a phone call to re-join the team.
Was thinking the same but Jerry just said on the PC that adding Matt, we won't be seeing a vet swing tackle brought in.

So they are thinking this guy can come right in and be a swing tackle day 1. From what I see, I can't disagree with them on this. I like what I see on him.

manster4ever

Reaction score
from NFL.com

The run blocking should improve with more experience and coaching but his habit of leaning in pass protection reflects core strength concerns. If his pass posture isn't fixed as a right tackle prospect, power rushers will eat him up.

Spot ON reddyuta....for now anyway. Like I said, he's gonna need a year or two to beef up. He has the frame to do it, but he's the classic example of needing some quality NFL level S&C

manster4ever

Reaction score
Jerry just said getting Waletzko means we won't be seeing a veteran swing guy. Not sure you should expect a fifth-round small-school guy to take care of that need.

Jerry says lots of dumb things, this is just the latest. Like myself and others have said: this kid isn't close to ready. It could have been JJ talking or JW (Johnny Walker) talking. Either way, it's just not the case IMO.

Plankton

Reaction score
Jerry just said getting Waletzko means we won't be seeing a veteran swing guy. Not sure you should expect a fifth-round small-school guy to take care of that need.

I think it would be Ball going to RT and Steele kicking out to LT if there were a need.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Kirwin liked the pick, says he needs to get stronger in the core, and NFL coaching and will be a 12 year starter at RT.

That's encouraging!

jnday

Reaction score
posting for my buddy:
Weaknesses
Few tests on his schedule at defensive end.
Pad level is a consistent nemesis due to his height.
Needs to improve footwork to become more efficient on work-up blocks.
Over-strides on the initial step, allowing entrance to inside shots.
Pass-setting strides are too long and lethargic.
Leans and collects the rusher rather than sitting back and punching.
Needs more mass and muscle to withstand power rushers.
Lacks desired twitch to handle quick-developing twists.
He will be blocking for a $40 million a year QB. If the QB wants better protection, he can rework his contract and pay for better protection. Don’t spoil Dak.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You can get that feeling about any player that’s drafted at this stage. Our biggest need is on the OL so he’ll be given a good opportunity. We’ve lost two starters on the OL, Tyron can’t stay healthy and we need depth.
Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.