6.5 Earthquake In Boise

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Rode out an earthquake this evening! Was pretty wild! I just happened to be sitting in the drive-thru of a local place called Taco Time. At first I thought somebody either bumped me or was messing with me shaking my truck, like some kids or something? Nope, looked in all my mirrors and it checked out. Then I thought maybe it was the wind coming through there pushing my truck around. Nope, trees aren't blowing. My last thought was that maybe it was my motor running weird shaking my truck, even though it did feel unnatural, but I was running out of ideas not even thinking earthquake. Nope no check engine lights and smooth rev. So I was thinking "what is going on!?" until a guy from work texted 'YOU GUYS FEEL THAT EARTHQUAKE?"

:laugh:

Was a pretty good little shake but no to minimal damage it sounds like. I'm telling you, 2020 has been a really wild and strange ride so far.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...n-the-state-since-1983/ar-BB11Zk2M?li=BBnb7Kz

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Rode out an earthquake this evening! Was pretty wild! I just happened to be sitting in the drive-thru of a local place called Taco Time. At first I thought somebody either bumped me or was messing with me shaking my truck, like some kids or something? Nope, looked in all my mirrors and it checked out. Then I thought maybe it was the wind coming through there pushing my truck around. Nope, trees aren't blowing. My last thought was that maybe it was my motor running weird shaking my truck, even though it did feel unnatural, but I was running out of ideas not even thinking earthquake. Nope no check engine lights and smooth rev. So I was thinking "what is going on!?" until a guy from work texted 'YOU GUYS FEEL THAT EARTHQUAKE?"

:laugh:

Was a pretty good little shake but no to minimal damage it sounds like. I'm telling you, 2020 has been a really wild and strange ride so far.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...n-the-state-since-1983/ar-BB11Zk2M?li=BBnb7Kz

6.5 is considered a strong Earthquake, luckily you weren't at the epicenter. Have been through a 5.8 here in Oklahoma that was an attention getter.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I first came to California about 15 years ago from Texas. I have always heard about quakes and was scared to death of it happening while we were here.

When we lived in Pacifica, a quake hit(epicenter in Berkeley) and that was a game changer. I don’t remember the magnitude but it was significant. We were watching TV on the couch and all of a sudden the couch lifted about a foot in the air. The ground kind of rolled after that. Talk about a vertigo feeling, it was awful.

We have been through a few minor ones since but I hate them, really freaky. Give me a hurricane any day over a mild quake :laugh:

cowboyec

Reaction score
first time i went thru one i thought somebody had run into the bldg.
wasnt til my bookcase started shaking that i figured out what it was.
weirdest feeling.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The only one I ever experienced was a minor one, a few years back, here in CT. I was in the garage at work, talking to the mechanic when I just started feeling disoriented. Then the mechanic gets a shocked look on his face and starts pointing at my truck, which is rocking side to side.

I never realized it was more of a sideways back and forth. I always assumed it was an up and down motion.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
We were 10 miles from the epicenter of a 7.1 quake in California last year. 6.4 the day before was the prelim to the main event.

The 6.4 was two hours after we signed the paperwork to sell our home <sigh>.

I was on the bedroom toilet for the bigger one, my wife and dog were in the living room. I had a door to the backyard that i staggered through to get outside. My wife was standing in the doorway from the living room to the backyard yelling for our dog who had run deep into the house looking for me.

Everyone ended up safely in the yard but it was pretty wild, like walking on a pitching ship having to grab objects to keep yourself from falling.

Most people on our street pitched tents and slept outside that night, some in their vehicles.

That quake stopped play during basketball games in Las Vegas about 250 miles away and as mentioned we were 10 miles from the epicenter.

My wife and many of her friends hated taking showers for a long time afterwards.

Forgot to mention that during all the aftershocks that occurred (we were getting them for days) you could hear the sound first, there would be a deep sounding crack and then the earth would roll a few seconds later, thats how close we were to the event area. It was eerie.

Last edited:

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I first came to California about 15 years ago from Texas. I have always heard about quakes and was scared to death of it happening while we were here.

When we lived in Pacifica, a quake hit(epicenter in Berkeley) and that was a game changer. I don’t remember the magnitude but it was significant. We were watching TV on the couch and all of a sudden the couch lifted about a foot in the air. The ground kind of rolled after that. Talk about a vertigo feeling, it was awful.

We have been through a few minor ones since but I hate them, really freaky. Give me a hurricane any day over a mild quake :laugh:

I used to live on the other side of Pacifica. Devils Slide was always a trip growing up. Now they have the tunnel though.

kristie

Reaction score
texted my dad, who lives in rathdrum, idaho, when I heard about it. he didn’t feel it, but people in Spokane, Washington & Coeur d’Alene did.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I was around for Idaho's last big earthquake in 1985, but I was only 5 years old, so this was my first experience with one as an adult. Definitely crazy. I kind of wish I would have been out of my truck for the experience though. Like @Runwildboys mentioned above, it was a lot more side to side motion than I would have guessed. Amazing to think of the sheer energy that is an earthquake.

Master22

Reaction score
From 05-07 I was stationed at Eielson AFB in Alaska I lived in the dorms. I remember waking up in the middle of the night because I heard what sounded like a friend of mine banging on the door (it happened a lot lol). Later that day I found out it was a pretty good sized earthquake.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I was in the 94 Northridge quake that devastated SoCal. Sleeping in RV’s, no power, no gas, buildings collapsed, roads on fire, freeways collapsed. That EQ stills haunts me to this day.

Bigdog

Reaction score

It's funny. i moved to CA 22 years ago to a small town about 5 mins north of Modesto and I have not experience any earthquakes. I grew up in upstate NY about 3 miles from the Adirondack State Park and experienced one. The epic center was Blue Mtn Lake and that was a pretty good one. Felt it all the way to Albany some people said. So far I have been lucky.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's funny. i moved to CA 22 years ago to a small town about 5 mins north of Modesto and I have not experience any earthquakes. I grew up in upstate NY about 3 miles from the Adirondack State Park and experienced one. The epic center was Blue Mtn Lake and that was a pretty good one. Felt it all the way to Albany some people said. So far I have been lucky.

We lived in Manteca for two months, couldn’t wait to get out of there! :laugh:

Bigdog

Reaction score
We lived in Manteca for two months, couldn’t wait to get out of there! :laugh:
That is where my wife works and brought us out here from NY. That city has grown a lot in the 22 years I have been here and it is not always for the better.