9-7 now wins the division for us no matter what

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Here are the common opponents, ignoring the division (assume both are 5-1 and split the series)

Falcons (Cowboys)
Lions (Cowboys)
Packers (Eagles)
Jets (Eagles - ug this one kills me)
Vikings (neither)
Bills (Eagles)
Bears (TBD)
Patriots (neither)
Dolphins (Cowboys)

So yes, if the Cowboys beat the Bears then they only need one more game to get in.

I think the Cowboys would have to beat the Commanders.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Here are the common opponents, ignoring the division (assume both are 5-1 and split the series)

Falcons (Cowboys)
Lions (Cowboys)
Packers (Eagles)
Vikings (neither)
Bills (Eagles)
Bears (TBD)
Patriots (neither)
Dolphins (Cowboys)

So yes, if the Cowboys beat the Bears then they only need one more game to get in.

how does Dallas win the common opponent vs Atlanta when we havent played them and lost to the saints in our NFC west game?

Playmaker3128

Reaction score

Falcons (Cowboys)
Lions (Cowboys)
Packers (Eagles)
Vikings (neither)
Bills (Eagles)
Bears (TBD)
Patriots (neither)
Dolphins (Cowboys)

we didn’t play falcons.

We obviously all know if we beat the eagles regardless of what happens this division is over.

As I mentioned. Even if we go into week 16 down a game.. if we win we’d be tied and have to win week 17 at home.

So theoretically we could still lose the next two games and get in.

question is can we still lose to philly and somehow get in.

DallasJ7

Reaction score
I just jammed Eagles winning out in ESPN Playoff Machine, and Cowboys winning out except for @Eagles, and it spit out Eagles winning the East at 9-7 via the common opponents tiebreaker.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I just jammed Eagles winning out in ESPN Playoff Machine, and Cowboys winning out except for @Eagles, and it spit out Eagles winning the East at 9-7 via the common opponents tiebreaker.

If they do have the common opponent tiebreaker than yeah. Cowboys still need to beat eagles.

unless the eagles drop one of the next two and cowboys win next two.

MikeB80

Reaction score

Yes they have more wins over common opponents.
Buffalo, GB, Jets

Dallas has
Detroit, Miami.

So they would win the common opponents 3-2.

Both lost to new england and minnesota. This whole thread is wrong and your post is right.

This is why I was preaching about beating buffalo for the past 3 weeks and how it was more important than the patriots game. I was called dumb.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Not true. If Philly beats Dallas and gets to 9-7, they win the division. They still hold the "common opponents" advantage, even after the loss to Miami.

Creeper

Reaction score
Here are the common opponents:

Dallas Eagles
Patriots L L
Bills L W
Jets L W
Miami W L
Bears ? W
Packers L W
Vikings L L
Lions W L

The Eagles already clinched common opponents tie-breaker.

The Cowboys have to win Head to head or the Eagles have to lose to the Giants or Commanders while the Cowboys beat the Commanders - assuming the Eagles beat Dallas and the finish with the same record.

The Cowboys could win this with an 8-8 record if they beat the Eagles and Commanders the last two games of the year. At the same time, if the Cowboys lose to the Eagles, they can win their other 3 games and not win the division.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the Eagles loss today, the best they can hope for is to win out and go 9-7. However, even if they do that by beating us, if we also finish 9-7 by winning our other 3 we would win the common opponents tiebreaker. If we beat them and both finish 8-8 we win by virtue of sweeping the season series. There is no scenario where Dallas goes 9-7 and doesn’t win the division now. We MUST finish 8-8 or worse and, even then, would win the division if we beat Philly unless we lose out otherwise.

In other words, the Eagles now have no say at all in who wins the division. Even if they beat us, they have to win out and us lose another game.
Do you think the Cowboys can't lose another and give them a chance? I have complete faith in their ability to lose.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
It won’t matter in the end. The team that wins division will get embarrassed in playoffs.

gmb1

Reaction score
How much money did Jerry pay the Dolphins players to win that game? :lmao:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Of course. The eagles just choked to the dolphins. So they could easily lose divisional games to the giants or skins.

Of course the cowboys could lose their next 4

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Here are the common opponents:

Dallas Eagles
Patriots L L
Bills L W
Jets L W
Miami W L
Bears ? W
Packers L W
Vikings L L
Lions W L

The Eagles already clinched common opponents tie-breaker.

The Cowboys have to win Head to head or the Eagles have to lose to the Giants or Commanders while the Cowboys beat the Commanders - assuming the Eagles beat Dallas and the finish with the same record.

The Cowboys could win this with an 8-8 record if they beat the Eagles and Commanders the last two games of the year. At the same time, if the Cowboys lose to the Eagles, they can win their other 3 games and not win the division.

The most likely scenario is Dallas beating Philly and Washington to finish 8-8 with the division crown.

willia451

Reaction score
The way Eagles and Cowboys are playing I'm thinking 7-9 might be good enough.

Let me crunch the numbers. Even the Commanders might still have a chance to get in.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The way Eagles and Cowboys are playing I'm thinking 7-9 might be good enough.

Let me crunch the numbers. Even the Commanders might still have a chance to get in.

Commanders will play the eagles tough as will the giants. The giants defense is dreadful so they will have to have a career day from barkley to win but its possible.

The Commanders appeared to be playing with purpose today so they will give the eagles a game, they have the defense to get some stops.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Cowboys lose common opponents tiebreaker.

umcommon opponents - Cowboys would be saints and rams. Under the above scenarios Cowboys would be 1-1, and thus 8-6 vs common

eagles uncommon opponents: Seattle and Falcons 0-2. Thus they would be 9-5 against common opponents.