Twitter: 9 combine Pro Bowls still on rookie deals

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me, this is a management (Stephen ) problem, not players. What's interesting, show me a team/GM who does not wanna high percentage of his draft classes become Pro Bowlers. Frankly, it should be a good problem to have. Getting them paid should be secondary......

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I would try to extend guys like Smith, Brown and woods now (both Woods). At some point we have to be proactive with all these contracts

JayFord

Reaction score
And not a dag on nfc championship appearance to show for it

CWR

Reaction score
I would try to extend guys like Smith, Brown and woods now (both Woods). At some point we have to be proactive with all these contracts

We've done that in the past. Guys like Miles Austin, Tyrone Crawford, Scandrick and MB3 come to mind.

At least I think those were guys we locked up early projecting further growth and instead ended up over paying to an extent.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First thing I thought of.

The whole team could be on their rookie deals and it wouldn't change the fact Garrett is the HC.

And that time has run out, with no championships to show for it. Just like several players careers (Romo in particular). I've had it with that cycle, where it's always "next year".

Put up, show up, win something, or get out!
:angry:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Why would any of those guys sign?

X Woods maybe, given the fact that the league has really devalued safeties, but why would either of the other 2. A good season could get them 7 figures.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We've done that in the past. Guys like Miles Austin, Tyrone Crawford, Scandrick and MB3 come to mind.

At least I think those were guys we locked up early projecting further growth and instead ended up over paying to an extent.
The Scandrick contract was a good deal originally. Then he complained about outplaying the deal and they gave him extra making it a not so good deal.

Reactions: CWR

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe almost any NFL executive would say when you have several good drafts (like 2014-2016) where multiple players end up being impactful, you only realistically have about a 4 year window where that core of talent will be “affordable”. AND....you also have to have a top Head Coach to lead that talent to,playoff success. Welp....we have the talent anyway.

But, It’s not too late for this talented core of players drafted from 2014-2016 to have a great playoff run. However- the fans around here who think we’re going to see ALL our talented players stay in Dallas are probably going to be disappointed. The salary cap is designed to limit payroll costs and it forces teams and players to make hard choices. And it requires top coaching and management talent to maximize those chances. Again...Welp.

In case anyone has forgotten, Jerry has already famously squandered major talent windows. Remember the last 4 seasons of “the triplets” together, when he somehow believed winning another championship would be “do-able” with Junior Varsity coaches like Chan Gailey and Dave Campo? Or when the Tony Romo, DeMarcus Ware, Jason Witten (and other big talent) from the early-mid 2000s, would somehow be in good hands with Wade Phillips and eventually his step son Jason?

Jerry’s strange aversion to bringing in a top notch HC maybe the dumbest thing he’s ever done. Especially when you consider the richest owner in the NFL, who could throw embarrassing amounts of money at a top NFL HC, somehow gives Coach Vanilla 9 bites at the NFL apple, and thus far has only 2 wild card wins to show for it.

That’s crazy.

erod

Reaction score
Kind of misleading since many pro bowls are given to players to replace guys that are in the Super Bowl, or others that simply don't want to go. That's how Dak got in this year. I think six guys had to say 'no' or couldn't make it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Kind of misleading since many pro bowls are given to players to replace guys that are in the Super Bowl, or others that simply don't want to go. That's how Dak got in this year. I think six guys had to say 'no' or couldn't make it.
It’s not misleading though unless you are insinuating Cowboys are the only team in the league that benefits from guys declining the Pro Bowl.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Why would any of those guys sign?

X Woods maybe, given the fact that the league has really devalued safeties, but why would either of the other 2. A good season could get them 7 figures.

True. But Xavier Woods can’t even re-sign now as he has only been in the league two years. Soonest he can renegotiate is next year I believe.

erod

Reaction score
It’s not misleading though unless you are insinuating Cowboys are the only team in the league that benefits from guys declining the Pro Bowl.

What I'm saying is pro bowl appearances are meaningless. Always have been.

All-Pro means something. Pro Bowl does not.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What I'm saying is pro bowl appearances are meaningless. Always have been.

All-Pro means something. Pro Bowl does not.
All Pro means something if you are trying to see who’s the best players at their positions. If you make the Pro Bowl you are top 5 at your position in your conference.

erod

Reaction score
All Pro means something if you are trying to see who’s the best players at their positions. If you make the Pro Bowl you are top 5 at your position in your conference.
Mitch Trubisky was in the Pro Bowl.