9 Recent Draft Picks don't make the 53-man roster

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Compare that list with win totals the last 4-5 seasons and factor in least spend on outside FAs, total pro bowls/all pros earned and you'd probably have a pretty accurate list of draft success.
Of top of head minus such thorough metrics I'd suggest SEA and DAL are at the top.
NE will look good on paper but that's largely elevated by insanely good coaching and those players are no where near as good when they leave.
Other teams who have drafted well such as Minny get dinged because they haven't drafted a winning QB.

Easiest way: If you win a playoff game and drafted all 10 of your highest paid players (see DAL 2018) then you are aces at drafting. --this is minimally cheating as they added Cooper mid-season.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/2018/

Jipper

Reaction score
Compare that list with win totals the last 4-5 seasons and factor in least spend on outside FAs, total pro bowls/all pros earned and you'd probably have a pretty accurate list of draft success.
Of top of head minus such thorough metrics I'd suggest SEA and DAL are at the top.
NE will look good on paper but that's largely elevated by insanely good coaching and those players are no where near as good when they leave.
Other teams who have drafted well such as Minny get dinged because they haven't drafted a winning QB.

Easiest way: If you win a playoff game and drafted all 10 of your highest paid players (see DAL 2018) then you are aces at drafting. --this is minimally cheating as they added Cooper mid-season.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/2018/

if dal could just get a touch better at fa I think we would have the perfect mix....but it's great to see we have gotten past the days of trying to win with fa

erod

Reaction score
Every starter on the team was drafted by Dallas except Cooper and Quinn. Heath was an undrafted free agent Dallas signed as a rookie.

That is amazing.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
if dal could just get a touch better at fa I think we would have the perfect mix....but it's great to see we have gotten past the days of trying to win with fa
FA is really pretty bad all around. It is by design overpaying so bargains are really, really rare.
DAL obviously used the trade market for Amari and added a bit of FA fuel with Cobb (rather than pay Beasley big bucks) but FA is almost always fools gold long term.
I like DAL cherry picking in FA and not signing dudes in the cash rich first wave.
Lack of FA forays helps you re-coup comp picks which adds fuel to the fire.
You constantly get younger, healthier, cheaper.
Being able to draft so you get better as well as the 3 above is key for long term success.
The more players you draft that get paid mor eon the open market allow you to recoup even better picks.
Drafting used to be about 65% of the success factor.
Now it might be 80%.

Jipper

Reaction score
FA is really pretty bad all around. It is by design overpaying so bargains are really, really rare.
DAL obviously used the trade market for Amari and added a bit of FA fuel with Cobb (rather than pay Beasley big bucks) but FA is almost always fools gold long term.
I like DAL cherry picking in FA and not signing dudes in the cash rich first wave.
Lack of FA forays helps you re-coup comp picks which adds fuel to the fire.
You constantly get younger, healthier, cheaper.
Being able to draft so you get better as well as the 3 above is key for long term success.
The more players you draft that get paid mor eon the open market allow you to recoup even better picks.
Drafting used to be about 65% of the success factor.
Now it might be 80%.

yeah I agree which is why I said just a touch better....we haven't really made big moves in fa which I am fine with but was hoping a few more would have panned out over the past couple of years.

Manster68

Reaction score
The Cowboys have stashed 2 recent draft picks on Reserve Lists, and cut 7 others.

2016 - 6th round pick Darius Jackson, RB
2016 - 6th round pick Rico Gathers, TE

2017 - 7th round pick Noah Brown, WR - Reserve/PUP

2018 - 5th round pick Mike White, QB
2018 - 6th round pick Chris Covington, LB
2018 - 6th round pick Cedrick Wilson, WR

2019 - 5th round pick Michael Jackson, Sr., CB
2019 - 7th round pick Mike Weber, RB
2019 - 7th round pick Jalen Jelks, DE - Reserve/Injured

This comes after the Cowboys the Cowboys parted ways last year with 2017 4th round pick Ryan Switzer in a preseason trade, cut 2016 4th round pick Charles Tapper, and cut 2018 7th round pick Bo Scarbrough. Of course, 2017 6th & 7th round picks Marquez White, Joe Ivie, and Jordan Carrell didn't make the team as rookies. That brings the total to 15 recent 3rd day draft picks who are no longer with the team.

Only 9 late round picks from last 4 drafts still playing for Dallas

2016 4th round pick Dak Prescott, QB
2016 6th round pick Anthony Brown, CB
2016 6th round pick Kavon Frazier, SS
2017 6th round pick Xavier Woods, FS
2018 4th round pick Dorance Armstrong, DE
2018 4th round pick Dalton Schultz, TE
2019 4th round pick Tony Pollard, RB
2019 5th round pick Joe Jackson, DE
2019 6th round pick Donovan Wilson, SS

All 12 players acquired by the Cowboys with their 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks from the last 4 drafts are still with the team.

2016 - Ezekiel Elliott, Jaylon Smith, Maliek Collins
2017 - Taco Charlton, Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis
2018 - Leighton Vander Esch, Connor Williams, Michael Gallup
2019 - Amari Cooper, Trysten Hill, Connor McGovern

Starters in Blue. Charlton is likely to be the starting RDE for at least the first two games of 2019.

I don't know about any of you, but I am THRILLED to read this post.

You never want all your draft picks making the team. That says there are too many significant holes to be filled. Then, more than likely, they don't get filled - the players aren't as good generally in the later rounds.

To have 9 draft picks round 4 and later the last four years tells me that the player personnel department is doing their job. Go back and look at Cowboys drafts from 1994 thru 2010 (besides 2005). Your lucky to see 9 players even make so much of an impact round 4 and beyond. Terrible.

Dallas has come a long ways in acquiring talent. I still believe it started to turn around with the arrival of Bill Parcells. He taught the front office and staff what to look for. Only 2009 (since Parcells left) has been a total bust of a draft. Granted, not every draft has been perfect (see 2012 with Claiborne), but Tyrone Crawford is still around with his 22 sacks and has played well.

Dallas has done well in trades and free agency recently . So yes, I'm thrilled to read this.

Manster68

Reaction score
I just checked, there were 254 picks last year. Effectively, your average team makes 8 picks per year. If you have more than 40 players taken by your team on your roster, you are drafting quite well. This thread is kind of weird. If a team never picked up anyone else's picks and never missed on a draft pick, you would turn over your entire roster in less than 7 years. Given that every eventually trades for or signs someone else's picks, its a laughably impossible criteria.

Would love to see what percentage each team has of its own draft picks. I suspect the Cowboys will be among the highest.

I think Dallas IS the highest - and it is not even close.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tall guys who can cover are his prototype. Jackson...........can't.
Jackson is on the practicwesquad and with a lot of money being spent next couple seasons he may well be elevated soon.
Could be he is brought up later this year if they get healthy enough at Safety to drop one.
Don't think many expected us to carry 5 safeties but injuries kinda forced that hand early on.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
had a couple sacks, a holding call drawn, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in his last series.
Let us face it, Taco has been pretty bad thus far.

Pre-season progress notwithstanding is hardly showing out, this season will tell the final tale on Taco.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Let us face it, Taco has been pretty bad thus far.

Pre-season progress notwithstanding is hardly showing out, this season will tell the final tale on Taco.
No one would argue otherwise and even if he were a total cust and cut he would be one R1 miss in basically a decade.
Given DAL has drafted outside the top 10 all but once I'd say that's "pretty good".
Also worth noting many pass rushers take 3 years to develop.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
No one would argue otherwise and even if he were a total cust and cut he would be one R1 miss in basically a decade.
Given DAL has drafted outside the top 10 all but once I'd say that's "pretty good".
Also worth noting many pass rushers take 3 years to develop.

They can but Taco in particular has not been one of them thus far.

Time will tell the tale on Taco...I hope he does well and turns out.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The Cowboys have stashed 2 recent draft picks on Reserve Lists, and cut 7 others.

2016 - 6th round pick Darius Jackson, RB
2016 - 6th round pick Rico Gathers, TE

2017 - 7th round pick Noah Brown, WR - Reserve/PUP

2018 - 5th round pick Mike White, QB
2018 - 6th round pick Chris Covington, LB
2018 - 6th round pick Cedrick Wilson, WR

2019 - 5th round pick Michael Jackson, Sr., CB
2019 - 7th round pick Mike Weber, RB
2019 - 7th round pick Jalen Jelks, DE - Reserve/Injured

This comes after the Cowboys the Cowboys parted ways last year with 2017 4th round pick Ryan Switzer in a preseason trade, cut 2016 4th round pick Charles Tapper, and cut 2018 7th round pick Bo Scarbrough. Of course, 2017 6th & 7th round picks Marquez White, Joe Ivie, and Jordan Carrell didn't make the team as rookies. That brings the total to 15 recent 3rd day draft picks who are no longer with the team.

Only 9 late round picks from last 4 drafts still playing for Dallas

2016 4th round pick Dak Prescott, QB
2016 6th round pick Anthony Brown, CB
2016 6th round pick Kavon Frazier, SS
2017 6th round pick Xavier Woods, FS
2018 4th round pick Dorance Armstrong, DE
2018 4th round pick Dalton Schultz, TE
2019 4th round pick Tony Pollard, RB
2019 5th round pick Joe Jackson, DE
2019 6th round pick Donovan Wilson, SS

All 12 players acquired by the Cowboys with their 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks from the last 4 drafts are still with the team.

2016 - Ezekiel Elliott, Jaylon Smith, Maliek Collins
2017 - Taco Charlton, Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis
2018 - Leighton Vander Esch, Connor Williams, Michael Gallup
2019 - Amari Cooper, Trysten Hill, Connor McGovern

Starters in Blue. Charlton is likely to be the starting RDE for at least the first two games of 2019.

Well looking at this list.

Seems to me Will McClay is doing his job quite well.