A 20 game window shows the big picture

erod

Reaction score
Thats not how rebuilding works anymore.
This isnt 1980.
You don't improve your team by blowing bigger holes in your roster and then using the draft to fill the holes you just created. Draft picks are rare and outside of the 2nd round its a huge gamble and the number are not on your side.

This plan I would not recommend.
No, but you get rid of the disease, which riddles the roster.

Zeke has to go. Jaylon has to go. Xavier has to go.

The uncommitted and overrated need to be out of here.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
  • I would get aggressive and make some bold moves with this roster. Like trading assets for draft picks.
    • For example- I love Michael Gallup- but we could get something for him in a trade. He would be attractive in a trade for a contender.
  • Bottom line: This is now a rebuild. And an effective rebuild starts with accepting the fact that this team is not going to get better without accepting reality. And in reality, this is not a very talented roster. Changing that requires understanding we aren’t going to be good again for at least another 2 years.
The offense has plenty, and will have plenty more with Collins, Smith, Jarwin back next year.

Everyone loves picks. We can probably get a better win-win deal if we can get a trade for Gallup from a team with more depth than they need at what we want. Similar situation, but different position.

The young defensive players on rookie contract to build around for next year: LVE, Gregory, Anae, Diggs, Gallimore, Hill, Gifford, Robinson.
Still have Lawrence, AWoods, Hamilton, Wilson, Brown, Armstrong.

And we'll have a draft to go almost entirely defense. We have a lot of comp picks, and should be picking high. Big big defensive draft.

And we get an offseason to straighten out Nolan and the defense.

Offense should be very strong, defense not horrible. I think we can make the playoffs next year, be a good team in 2.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
But here's the thing. They don't know personnel. They don't know what a good football team looks like. So I'm not so sure it's just about being in denial and not accepting reality. They just don't know what they're doing.

Have a little patience. Jerry and Stephen's 30-year plan is right on schedule.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
But here's the thing. They don't know personnel. They don't know what a good football team looks like. So I'm not so sure it's just about being in denial and not accepting reality. They just don't know what they're doing.

A wise man once said GMs don't matter, they just have to listen. That wise man was an idiot.
See if Ozzie Newsome wants to prove himself with another organization.

See if Bill Bellicheck wants a fresh start

But the Jones Boys HAVE TO.....simply HAVE TO.....FIRE THEMSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will not ever raise the Lombardi Trophy again until this happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am holding out hope that Stephen knows this...but at Jerry's age....he is going to ride this current structure into the sunset. So there is no way to know when the end will come!

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Again why blame McCarthy when this team has been garbage for two decades?
Only my opinion, but McCarthy was brought in to win now and this team isn't in a position to win now. He doesn't seem to have a vision for this team and the product on the field indicates he and his staff are not effective coaches.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Zeke is overpriced but not a cancer. He's guaranteed for years out. Get used to him.

Jaylon, though, yeah he's got to go. We *can* get rid of him before March. I'd do it *now* to avoid his injury guarantees for the *next two years* kicking in. He's not part of the future. He *should* be gone next year, so he's just a progress stopper now.

Woods goes to free agency next year. No need to worry about him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Agree agree agree.
We should have traded Gallup when all hope wasn't lost. I think someone like the Raiders would be a good trade partner. Now the Vultures are circling.

Peak Gallup was the end of game heroics a couple of weeks ago. Should have sold high.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
But a good segment of fans blamed our coaching for not having as much success as expected in 2019. And hence a change was made. Which led to expectations being raised again this year.

Both years these weren’t expectations led by just our idiotic ownership but from fans and parts of the media. We have pages and pages of forums here to support.

Don’t blame this all on our ownership. The fans are as much to blame as well touting how talented this roster was.

Fans have no say in roster construction. That's entirely on ownership, especially when they decide to play GM and Director of Player Personnel. You're posting as if Jerry and Stephen login to the CZ to decide their next move.

Fans are fans - they want hope and will create it if necessary. The FO can't operate like fans, but in Jerry's world that's pretty much how it works. He loves "his guys" even though they're taking him nowhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fans have no say in roster construction. That's entirely on ownership, especially when they decide to play GM and Director of Player Personnel. You're posting as if Jerry and Stephen login to the CZ to decide their next move.

Fans are fans - they want hope and will create it if necessary. The FO can't operate like fans, but in Jerry's world that's pretty much how it works. He loves "his guys" even though they're taking him nowhere.
Of course but that’s not my point.

Fans operate independent of our front office. They are able to arrive at evaluations themselves and I’d say majority of fans in this forum thought our roster of taient was under achieving.

cern

Reaction score
What would you recommend?
your premise is sound. you rebuild thru both the draft and free agency. sometimes lousy teams can become contenders in just a single off season. our drafts have been strong with a few exceptions, but we continue to strike out in free agency. stephen should reevaluate his free agency strategy. everyone we choose of note is always for a one year deal. but it they are successful (lilke quinn) we lose them to another team the following year. and just stay way from guys with a prior history of injuries. we're going to have to go for a big splash now and then.

superonyx

Reaction score

I don't think "overrated" has anything to do with who needs to stay or go.
It's funny that Zeke, Jaylon and Woods "have" to go when you or I couldnt possibly know if these players are good in the locker room. I guess as a fan you know they must not be.
So when you cut Zeke and Jaylon and the dead cap money is tremendous and you now need to replace them we are somehow better off? Let's destroy our cap, then waste valuable draft picks trying to replace these 2 guys and ignore all the other holes on this team. Good luck signing free agents with negative cap space. Oh but we would then also have to cut valuable vets as well. That sounds like a winning strategy.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's funny that Zeke, Jaylon and Woods "have" to go when you or I couldnt possibly know if these players are good in the locker room. I guess as a fan you know they must not be.
So when you cut Zeke and Jaylon and the dead cap money is tremendous and you now need to replace them we are somehow better off? Let's destroy our cap, then waste valuable draft picks trying to replace these 2 guys and ignore all the other holes on this team. Good luck signing free agents with negative cap space. Oh but we would then also have to cut valuable vets as well. That sounds like a winning strategy.
Jaylon Smith, literally, is a hinderance to winning. Cap hit or not, him being off the team (or off the field, at the very least) makes us better, no matter who replaces him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This isn’t a total rebuild. Insert Dak and we have an offense that is near the top of the league assuming bulk of our OL returns.

Our rebuild is defensively. Which a good draft and a couple FA acquisitions could bolster it to average to below average.

Look at Seattle with one of the worst defenses in the league. They are leading the best division in the league and we took then to the brink with this current roster.

As usual it’s never as good as we think or as bad as we think. Turnovers killed us and then injuries sunk us. While this team was over hyped there were weaknesses on defense and an aging OL that several of us pointed out going into this season while also questioning our DC and conversion to his scheme.

And we called out some of our priorities in offseason letting 4 defensive starters walk while signing our RB and WR and using our #1 pick on what we called a luxury pick. All of these are contributing factors.

Last edited:

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Only my opinion, but McCarthy was brought in to win now and this team isn't in a position to win now. He doesn't seem to have a vision for this team and the product on the field indicates he and his staff are not effective coaches.
Again, what proof do we have of what his vision is? He was handed the team and told to win now. It’s like handing a chef spam and eggs and demanding that he make a gourmet dinner with it. This team has holes and issues on all three aspects of the game and that’s just the talent issue. Compound this with paying average players like they are elite well what do you expect the outcome to be?

Swagger

Reaction score
Since last October, the Cowboys are 7-13.Unquote

But but but we have the Great Dak leading how can the above be true??:huh:
Is Jerry and the Dak-Trolls selling me another seaside property on Mt.Everst? :muttley:
Well it must have been the coaching - it can't have anything to do with Prescott.

erod

Reaction score

Better off? Rather, how could you be any worse off.

I hate this team. This is a worthless roster of unlikable players who largely don't care a lick about authority and don't care about winning. They are about their brand and their scene only. Those that do care are average players.

I'd pick a handful of guys to keep and move on from the rest. What's the risk, going 8-8 or worse? Already doing that anyway.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
We have plenty of question marks on defense but we have players to succeed on O with minimal movement. I ask myself if Tyson retires, can Zach move over there with a bump in $? Then we can use Lael at RT and use Connor at RG, who actually hasn't been as bad as Steele. Knight is a capable swing too. We'd get our IR players back in Jarwin and Dak.
After this all of our picks this offseason can go towards defense where Diggs, DLaw, LVE and Gregory are only returning starters. We would need a different DC too and cam decide on if we are to be a true 4-3 or 3-4 team.

erod

Reaction score
Zeke is overpriced but not a cancer. He's guaranteed for years out. Get used to him.

Jaylon, though, yeah he's got to go. We *can* get rid of him before March. I'd do it *now* to avoid his injury guarantees for the *next two years* kicking in. He's not part of the future. He *should* be gone next year, so he's just a progress stopper now.

Woods goes to free agency next year. No need to worry about him.
Zeke looks half-baked out there. He hasn't broken a single tackle this year. He doesn't have the speed to outrun anyone beyond the line of scrimmage anymore.

He's already average. He's not a leader and he doesn't seem to be liked by coaches or players. And he's a loose cannon on the verge of suspension any minute.

He pass protects well. That's it.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Since last October, the Cowboys are 7-13.Unquote

But but but we have the Great Dak leading how can the above be true??:huh:
Is Jerry and the Dak-Trolls selling me another seaside property on Mt.Everst? :muttley:

Imagine what 2016 would have looked like without Romo coaching up Dak on the sidelines.....