A 20 game window shows the big picture

superonyx

Reaction score
I think I'm singing the same song as 90% of this forum at this point. Do you disagree with my assessment? Just curious.

When it comes to women, your second point is probably correct!! haha. But in football terms, you just have to bite the bullet sometimes.
I don't disagree about taking a step back and letting Jaylon sit. I don't agree that you just cut him out of anger. The problem is we have a DC who has been responsible for the worst defenses (or close enough) in the NFL his last 3 years being in charge.
The first step is brining in a DC who knows what he is doing and has proven it. Not some guy with an entitled last name who blows every chance he gets. Let the new DC make the decisions if Jaylon is salvageable. Let him put his system in and determine if Jaylon can succeed in that system. I am not comfortable at all with making any roster moves based around the wishes of this DC.

superonyx

Reaction score
If you have a better plan im all ears. Im just skeptical based on what this team has going for it right now. Do they have the pieces for a quick turnaround? Heavy cap constraints will make it tough to add on defense via FA, who knows if your LT, RT health status is? Is dak a sure thing to be 100%? Can we expect better production from Jaylon/dlaw/etc just because it can't get much worse?

You may be right, I just don't have the answer. IF everything falls right. Guys come back healthy, you hit in the draft, jaylon turns his game around, young guys on the 2020 team show improvement etc you have a real shot at 2021 being a success. That's just a lot of Ifs for me to feel comfortable.
I am not willing to burn it all down when we have 4 out of 5 guys on the OL who are injured and a QB injured. This offense was #1 in the league only a few weeks ago even with a patchwork offensive line. You retool in places where you can. We don't need 22 pro bowlers to succeed. If we do then its a coaching problem.

Defense is the bigger problem. I think we need a new DC who has proven himself. Unfortunately we messed up hiring McCarthy since he pretty much doesnt do anything. An offensive coach who doesnt coach offense. We should have hired a proven DC since Moore is not going anywhere and he shouldnt. Now we will have to hire a guy who is either a position coach or a failed DC from another team. Either way we need mass changes on the defense. That doesnt mean cutting D Law or Jaylon or anyone who will blow a hole in our cap so large that we can't afford to replace them.

Teams that burn the whole thing down non stop are teams like the Jets and Dolphins. You keep your talent and bring in starting caliber complimentary players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This really shouldn't matter. The fans aren't the ones making the decisions. Why harp on the fans when the front office is the ones making the decisions. As far as I know, the DC front office doesn't create a poll in the Cowboyszone and make personnel decisions based on the results.
Because in this forum the pulse of the fans does matter. And if most or a sizable segment got it wrong it’s need to be noted.

Cause if this forums judgement isn’t any better or more aligned with our front office it lessens the value of their opinions as well. Results matter on the field and the positions we take as fans.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since last October, the Cowboys are 7-13.Unquote

But but but we have the Great Dak leading how can the above be true??:huh:
Is Jerry and the Dak-Trolls selling me another seaside property on Mt.Everst? :muttley:
Dak Prescott is the absolute least of this team’s problems.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have a little patience. Jerry and Stephen's 30-year plan is right on schedule.
The ONLY way I have patience with this team again is with a new GM. The current one has long proven he’s clueless, stubborn and arrogant. The trifecta for guaranteed failure.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone who thinks that, if healthy, doesn't have the talent to be a SB contender in the NFC does not watch football other than Cowboys games.

Is Seattle not a contender? Their defense is just as bad. Tampa can't cover anybody or run the football, and don't have a great long-term progrnosis. Green Bay hasn't beaten one good team in their last 20-something games. Chicago sucks, the Saints are totally washed, ATL, DET, MIN, and CAR are all headed for or in the grasp of complete rebuilds. San Fran doesn't have a QB.

I mean just go right down the list and every team is hugely flawed. It's an expression of ignorance to the state of the rest of the league to think that this Cowboys team should be blown up and started from scratch.
I believe you are mistaken my friend. Seattle does have a bad D but it also has a much better front office and head coach with a proven record they know how to retool their roster. Our FO has a proven 25 year history of wide receiver acquisitions.

Yes, every team has flaws. But we also have the Jones boys. There’s the negative difference. Culture matters a ton in the NFL. Look at the consistent contenders and you will see a great FO with a great culture. And none of those teams’ owners believes they are qualified to run football operations. Honestly Future, until this FO makes some major, and i mean MAJOR changes, I don't see why any Cowboys fan not drinking the koolaid would think this FO as currently constituted knows how to do anything but make loads of cash...for themselves.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually they did a lot to address the situation. Their approach and results were not successful.
Correction to my OP: And the Jones front office did very little (that was effective) to address that decline.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As fans, we have three problems. One, the GM, two, the GM isn't stepping down and three, the GM in waiting.

I'm sorry, did I depress you? The truth hurts and the problems with this team were created by the same people we are dependent on to fix them so don't be getting your hopes up. Although, with this franchise, hope is the only thing we have.

The brain trust of this team is like the builders of the pyramids. Little known fact, it was supposed to be square. They got it wrong but were then given two more opportunities to get it right.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Since last October, the Cowboys are 7-13.

But Bob every victory is the same. The opponent doesn't matter. If you take out the cupcakes,lucky breaks and complete brain farts of the other teams, its more like 0-20 (whatever number you want to use that is less than 7).

How dare you try to evaluate the team objectively against average or better teams? Have these posters taught you nothing??

Sydla

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks that, if healthy, doesn't have the talent to be a SB contender in the NFC does not watch football other than Cowboys games.

Is Seattle not a contender? Their defense is just as bad. Tampa can't cover anybody or run the football, and don't have a great long-term progrnosis. Green Bay hasn't beaten one good team in their last 20-something games. Chicago sucks, the Saints are totally washed, ATL, DET, MIN, and CAR are all headed for or in the grasp of complete rebuilds. San Fran doesn't have a QB.

I mean just go right down the list and every team is hugely flawed. It's an expression of ignorance to the state of the rest of the league to think that this Cowboys team should be blown up and started from scratch.

Have you watched our defense? It's historically one of the worst ever. Seattle's isn't that bad comparatively.

Turnovers alone, they are better. They have 12. We have 3.

Now I wouldn't start from scratch for the entire team, but the defense certainly needs a "rebuild'.

Reactions: G2

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We had a slight glimmer of hope the Dak and Zeke rookie year. We were one of the youngest and hungriest teams in the NFL. They played hard every week. It was a very physical and tough brand of football. Then Jerry got excited and the whole thing fell apart overnight.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Have you watched our defense? It's historically one of the worst ever. Seattle's isn't that bad comparatively.

Turnovers alone, they are better. They have 12. We have 3.

Now I wouldn't start from scratch for the entire team, but the defense certainly needs a "rebuild'.
Until we invest in the DT and S positions, we'll most likely see much of the same.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I will summarize lol......IT IS A MESS !!!!! and the jones boys are going to fix it jones boys style.
They already started, with a insane attempt to trade poe and worley, after announcing they would be cut on the next day lol
Shocking they got a 6th for griffen.
Players that need to be cut like jaylon wont be.
It is a mess, and really you can only watch wonder, and laugh at what happens next.
Cutting poe and worley, and the griffen trade, those guys were expendable, not jones favs, what about some others?
I think they were blamed for the comments to slater.
Make some meaningful cuts and players might play harder.