A closer look at Jayron Kearse’s interception that was called defensive PI

ultron

Reaction score
I missed the whole first quarter and this was the first play I saw as soon as I turned the TV on. In real time I said they were both fighting for the ball and Cook initiated the contact, Kearse has an equal right to go after that ball & it was perfect coverage and a bad call. Here’s a look (courtesy of Akoye Media on YouTube - link below for his video)

Sydla

Reaction score
My issue with it was if you are going to call it that tight, you have to do it the entire game. Two series later, on 4th down, Asante Samuel Jr had way more contact with Cooper than Kearse did. So if you are going to call Kearse for that, then you absolutely have to call it on Samuel like 5 minutes later.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
My issue with it was if you are going to call it that tight, you have to do it the entire game. Two series later, on 4th down, Asante Samuel Jr had way more contact with Cooper than Kearse did. So if you are going to call Kearse for that, then you absolutely have to call it on Samuel like 5 minutes later.
Same ref too

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I missed the whole first quarter and this was the first play I saw as soon as I turned the TV on. In real time I said they were both fighting for the ball and Cook initiated the contact, Kearse has an equal right to go after that ball & it was perfect coverage and a bad call. Here’s a look (courtesy of Akoye Media on YouTube - link below for his video)

Ticky tack call

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Number 1, the video would be better just played through without the stop-start stuff. I'd do it myself except I only have the 2nd half with me at work today. Number 2, in seeing where the flag came from, I think what that official saw was that Kearse kept his hand there and tugged as they each pivoted so it provided a good view. It was not a stiff arm from the receiver by the way so that's a jaded description. I do agree that this is ticky tack, especially when you consider there are guys like Chase Claypool from Pittsburgh who routinely pushes off and I saw him do so yesterday versus the Raiders and doesn't get called. Like I said with the Gallup example last season, it's about who can conceal it the best.

Creeper

Reaction score
That was good coverage and an even better INT. Great play negated by a terrible call. You see much worse contact than that all over the league not get called.

The NFL needs to change the PI rule to take some of the inconsistency out of it.

SlimBig

Reaction score
That Kearse INT is exactly what I'm talking about on the Cowboy's rep with the refs vs teams like Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, Patriots, etc. who have defensive reputations and are allowed to hold, grab and DPI without repercussions.

Most of the time, we have to play perfect ball and coverage to not get flagged. If we get away with anything, ESPN/FOX and Norm are crying about it and replaying the sequence over and over again.

I hope Dan Quinn and Parsons (and the bad*** navy blue jerseys) can change the rep of this defense

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

It should not have been pass interference. It should have been defensive holding because Kearse graps Cook's jersey in the back and tugs it. This helped Kearse to propel himself over Cook and bat the ball. That's probably why it was called interference.

ultron

Reaction score
It should not have been pass interference. It should have been defensive holding because Kearse graps Cook's jersey in the back and tugs it. This helped Kearse to propel himself over Cook and bat the ball. That's probably why it was called interference.
lol every single CB does that every play in the NFL - watch the video and tell me who makes contact first

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
lol every single CB does that every play in the NFL - watch the video and tell me who makes contact first

Doesn't matter. The official saw the grab and made the call. The call was legitimate even if DBs get away with it all the time.

JBS

Reaction score
Is it me or does it sound like this guy thinks Kearse was on the Cowboys last season ?