A Contract Point - QB/Houston - 9ers - Cowboys

ondaedg

Reaction score
disagree. I don’t know anyone fan or analyst or player that would rank Dak equal to or greater than Wilson. Not sure saying Wilson only won one SB with a great D and using that to say Dak is as good or better works....since Dak has won how many? Conf championship games? Second round playoff games? Russ has singlehandedly kept Seattle relevant after the D fell apart. He’s also not coming off a serious injury.
From what I’m reading, Dak will want a new contract again in three years and it sounds like he wants more than Wilson which I find absurd.

Dak has never had the defensive supporting cast that Wilson has had or anything close to it. And his numbers are comparable if not better in most categories. And “from what I’m hearing” doesn’t fly. Rumors are rumors.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The argument has taken in every possible scenario for the QB position on this board. But I heard something on the radio today which I think may have been missed. If you have suggested this, my apologies.

The cap in 2022 and past will go up and perhaps significantly. The Disney contract will have a pronounced affect on the cap. But the other affiliates who will jump on board will make a ridiculous contract for Dak much more palatable in the second year and beyond. So the antacid crowd that frets at the spending of a dime on Dak because of the world ending with his contract might take a chill pill on that account.

If it's just about the money, this scenario could cure that and then some.

Fitting his contract in the first year could be resolved with extensions and pushing the guarantee past 2021 to fit both his desires for payment and the teams position - which some claim the Cowboys will be mediocre and nothing can be done about it if Dak signs.

-----------------------------------

Second aspect was discussed on the radio. What if........

Dallas negotiated a contract with Dak and immediately traded him to the 9ers for the 12 over-all pick. Then package those to Houston for Watson. Or to Seattle for Wilson. You might have to sweeten the deal for Wilson. I am opposed to this because I do not think either guy is significantly better than what Dallas has.

Opinions?

Only reason Seattle is thinking about trading Wilson is because he is a few years past his prime and on the downside. Dak and Watson are just entering their prime careers. From that aspect, both are more valuable than Wilson. Although I freely admit Wilson may be the best right now and for the next year or two. Possibly.

Personally I take Dak over Watson head to head. I just think Dak is the much better leader and a better in the pocket passer. Watson is more of a playground type passer and running QB. Dak is a guy you can build a legitimate passing system around.

This isnt rocket science. We have one of the best offenses in the NFL with Dak. Even with our Oline no longer top 5.

All we need to do is continue to infuse young talent into the defense over the next year or two and this team is a legitimate contender.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
First immediately after it was announced about the Disney deal the NFL denied it and I haven't heard anything that the NFL formally announced that contract is real so what you have based you whole idea on is based on a speculation about a deal that was denied by the NFL. Then nobody knows for sure but I very seriously doubt that if the Cowboys get Prescott signed to a contract that they will then trade him away since they have been saying for a couple years that Prescott is their QB for now and in the future.

Not my speculation. The radio guys were talking about it on ESPN radio in Dallas yesterday.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
It didn't take the NFL long to respond to the report that Disney had agreed to the MNF/SB package. They shot that down and that tells us one thing, that was too low and they didn't want the other nets to react to that.

Tell that to 103.3 in Dallas.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The argument has taken in every possible scenario for the QB position on this board. But I heard something on the radio today which I think may have been missed. If you have suggested this, my apologies.

The cap in 2022 and past will go up and perhaps significantly. The Disney contract will have a pronounced affect on the cap. But the other affiliates who will jump on board will make a ridiculous contract for Dak much more palatable in the second year and beyond. So the antacid crowd that frets at the spending of a dime on Dak because of the world ending with his contract might take a chill pill on that account.

Fitting his contract in the first year could be resolved with extensions and pushing the guarantee past 2021 to fit both his desires for payment and the teams position - which some claim the Cowboys will be mediocre and nothing can be done about it if Dak signs.

Dallas negotiated a contract with Dak and immediately traded him to the 9ers for the 12 over-all pick. Then package those to Houston for Watson. Or to Seattle for Wilson. You might have to sweeten the deal for Wilson. I am opposed to this because I do not think either guy is significantly better than what Dallas has.

Opinions?
It has never been about the money, why is this so hard to understand, its all about the term and always has been.
Money is nothing to the pending deal.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Opinions?
You had me cheering during the first part about the salary cap going up. I mean most of us know this except the clown haters. THen you blew it with the trade for a QB not near as good as Dak.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
You had me cheering during the first part about the salary cap going up. I mean most of us know this except the clown haters. THen you blew it with the trade for a QB not near as good as Dak.

Again, this was the radio and not me. I guess I didn't put that succinctly enough.

The thinking is this (from the radio program), Dak wants out of Dallas. After the payday for Zeke, the 120m for five years was an insult to Dak. So he, and more specifically his agent, dug in. Dak wants out of Dallas. He wants to win. The 49ers might be interested, even with Garoppolo. The 49ers have the 12th over all pick. They might be enticed to trade it for Dak. With two picks in the top twelve, Dallas can move around.

One of the thoughts was to move past the Eagles to grab Kyle Pitts. Leaving the defense out of the scenario for a moment, the idea behind this is Pitts is a generational TE. This adds to a receiving corp that would be unmatched. I am not co-signing anything in this post that came from the radio. Just relaying information. If Dallas could make this move without trading Dak was the conversation. Maybe a 2nd this year and something else to swap firsts. Again, this was a conversation. Not me.

The other idea is Shanahan would like to have a guy like Dak. Dak would thrive on a team who has a defense with teeth. Shanahan evidently has a skill to put QB's in a place where they thrive. (Their words) This would give Dallas two firsts. (I think the notion of getting 2 firsts for Dak is a pipe dream on this site. Injury and salary would cloud that notion in my opinion.) With the two firsts, ours and the 49ers, the brain trust on the radio thought they could deal with Houston and get Watson. Or perhaps go for Wilson. I think this may be just radio talk to fill up time. Their position was to give both firsts and maybe a second next year for Wilson. I like Wilson, but that is insane for a 32 year old QB.

Now this is me. What if Dallas made that deal with San Fran? The Patriots would take Garoppolo, if Dallas didn't. Ignore the fact the Eagles will take Pitt if they have a chance. Alex Smith and Cam Newton are available. Any of the arm chair geniuses here at Speculation Central will tell you Dak can be replaced with a half can of Old Milwaukee and a Ritz cracker. So either of those guys will do........Right?

Now, you have two first round picks to either move up for a QB, or move around for defense. If you trade with Cincy you may need to toss in a player and draft capital. They need a tackle. Could you pry away Sewell from Cincy. If they took the 10th overall, they would almost assuredly have a shot at Slater. But then Dallas can sit still and get that left tackle without paying a premium price. There is thinking he may be better than Sewell.

Or you can move down a bit and pick up more picks. The defenders are coming off the board in the teens. You'll miss Micah Parsons, but he will not be Mike Singletary.

This board is assured that a team can win with a less than elite QB because the money is right. Jockeying around with two firsts could accumulate what draft stock for this next season? With the lack of premium money to Dak, Gallup may be a possible re-up. FA might have something in store. McCoy wants to come back.

Can a team go from terrible to the NFC Championship game in one season? I think it would take a GM who had a plan.

A last point on the radio was Jerry is getting close to his end and he is champing at the bit to win now. I sometimes think he couldn't pick a winner in a one horse race. So a seventy year old still trying to show he is a football guy means what? Something totally desperate, or genius.

Vegas will not post odds on genius.

Sorry for this being so long.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Again, this was the radio and not me. I guess I didn't put that succinctly enough.

The thinking is this (from the radio program), Dak wants out of Dallas. After the payday for Zeke, the 120m for five years was an insult to Dak. So he, and more specifically his agent, dug in. Dak wants out of Dallas. He wants to win. The 49ers might be interested, even with Garoppolo. The 49ers have the 12th over all pick. They might be enticed to trade it for Dak. With two picks in the top twelve, Dallas can move around.

One of the thoughts was to move past the Eagles to grab Kyle Pitts. Leaving the defense out of the scenario for a moment, the idea behind this is Pitts is a generational TE. This adds to a receiving corp that would be unmatched. I am not co-signing anything in this post that came from the radio. Just relaying information. If Dallas could make this move without trading Dak was the conversation. Maybe a 2nd this year and something else to swap firsts. Again, this was a conversation. Not me.

The other idea is Shanahan would like to have a guy like Dak. Dak would thrive on a team who has a defense with teeth. Shanahan evidently has a skill to put QB's in a place where they thrive. (Their words) This would give Dallas two firsts. (I think the notion of getting 2 firsts for Dak is a pipe dream on this site. Injury and salary would cloud that notion in my opinion.) With the two firsts, ours and the 49ers, the brain trust on the radio thought they could deal with Houston and get Watson. Or perhaps go for Wilson. I think this may be just radio talk to fill up time. Their position was to give both firsts and maybe a second next year for Wilson. I like Wilson, but that is insane for a 32 year old QB.

Now this is me. What if Dallas made that deal with San Fran? The Patriots would take Garoppolo, if Dallas didn't. Ignore the fact the Eagles will take Pitt if they have a chance. Alex Smith and Cam Newton are available. Any of the arm chair geniuses here at Speculation Central will tell you Dak can be replaced with a half can of Old Milwaukee and a Ritz cracker. So either of those guys will do........Right?

Now, you have two first round picks to either move up for a QB, or move around for defense. If you trade with Cincy you may need to toss in a player and draft capital. They need a tackle. Could you pry away Sewell from Cincy. If they took the 10th overall, they would almost assuredly have a shot at Slater. But then Dallas can sit still and get that left tackle without paying a premium price. There is thinking he may be better than Sewell.

Or you can move down a bit and pick up more picks. The defenders are coming off the board in the teens. You'll miss Micah Parsons, but he will not be Mike Singletary.

This board is assured that a team can win with a less than elite QB because the money is right. Jockeying around with two firsts could accumulate what draft stock for this next season? With the lack of premium money to Dak, Gallup may be a possible re-up. FA might have something in store. McCoy wants to come back.

Can a team go from terrible to the NFC Championship game in one season? I think it would take a GM who had a plan.

A last point on the radio was Jerry is getting close to his end and he is champing at the bit to win now. I sometimes think he couldn't pick a winner in a one horse race. So a seventy year old still trying to show he is a football guy means what? Something totally desperate, or genius.

Vegas will not post odds on genius.

Sorry for this being so long.
Sounds like the radio heads play too much Madden. Dallas is much closer to being in the Super Bowl than most here believe because they’re shaded with hate. Sign Dak and use the saved cap money to help build the defense and then go defense heavy in the draft and we are right there.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Problem isn't the CAP or Dak's contract. Problem is a GM who is clueless at being one. Nothing will change as long as we have Jerry" Al Davis Jr" Jones running the front office. And that maybe a slap in the face to Al...RIP....