A couple of good GM moves by JJ this year

Woods

Reaction score
Yes, JJ gets a lot of grief for "meddling". But I think he's really improved as a GM over the years.

Examples,

1. Realizing that we were thin on at the OG position, and trading a 5th for Holland.

The main reason we even wanted to trade for Holland was that JJ decided to practice against the Broncos during the pre-season. Based on how Holland fared against our DL, JJ pulled the trigger.

Yes, Holland is injured, but it was a good move making that trade. Hopefully, Holland plays next week.

2. The past few drafts show that the PROCESS that has been put in place works a LOT better than 7-8 years ago.

The past 3-4 drafts have been pretty good and consistent. When you string a few good ones together, that can't just be luck.

We are taking the best player on our board, and not reaching for guys. Choice is one example. After drafting Felix, paying a boat load for MBIII, we could have decided to easily go in another direction.

Another example is Scandrick. Again, after drafting Jenkins, taking a punt on Pac, we could have gone in another direction. Instead, we thought Scandrick was too good to pass up and picked him anyway.

3. I know many are torn on the Roy Williams trade, but I like it. We STILL have a ton of picks next year, including comp picks.

It is highly doubtful that we could have picked up a Roy Williams calibre player with our 1st rounder anyway. Heck, even packaging a 1st and 3rd wouldn't have gotten us a R Williams calibre player.

4. MOST, in not nearly all, of our KEY FAs have been signed for the long-term. (Ware will clearly get done.)

On Offense, our ENTIRE starting OL is signed for the long-term, our QB, RBs, WRs, and TEs. Even our punter.

On Defense, our keys guys are signed up, including Ratliff, B James, Newman, Hamlin.

JJ will obviously get Ware done.

I'm not saying that JJ doesn't have his flaws. Of course he does. We should have gotten a better back-up QB behind Romo. I'm CONFIDENT JJ will do that this off-season. (I think he tried to even trade for Beck.)

But all in all, I would have to give JJ a very high grade as a GM the past couple of years.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jerry is one of the guys in the organization who you can say flat out did his job this year. My only gripe was that he kept Brad Johnson at backup QB and I think it cost us dearly. In almost every other decision he did a great job.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good thread...

While the performance of the team has kept a smile off of my face, the personnel moves have brightened my day somewhat.

Even in his short stay, Holland has looked like a keeper to me and could be the starter at LG come next season.

I also like the extension given to Colombo.

I like Roy Williams the WR. I still think we gave up too much, but the position is pretty solid at this point.

At this juncture I see the team using the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft to concentrate on two areas... NT and maybe, just maybe QB.

Henry and Hamlin as the starting safeties?

Or will it be Roy Williams and Hamlin?

My money is on it being Henry and Hamlin.

I think Roy gets the boot this offseason and the Cowboys use one of the 4th rounders for a safety and will probably use one more before the draft concludes.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
It was only a couple of weeks ago Jerry was stupid for the Holland trade. :laugh2:

Boysboy

Reaction score
To this day, the Roy11 move is an EXCELLENT one. TO is 35 and getting old in the tooth, and now we have a WR in his prime, and will still be in his prime for years to come.

If anything, it was an '09 #1 pick WELL spent!:)

Woods

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2477476 said:
Good thread...

While the performance of the team has kept a smile off of my face, the personnel moves have brightened my day somewhat.

Even in his short stay, Holland has looked like a keeper to me and could be the starter at LG come next season.

I also like the extension given to Colombo.

I like Roy Williams the WR. I still think we gave up too much, but the position is pretty solid at this point.

At this juncture I see the team using the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft to concentrate on two areas... NT and maybe, just maybe QB.

Henry and Hamlin as the starting safeties?

Or will it be Roy Williams and Hamlin?

My money is on it being Henry and Hamlin.

I think Roy gets the boot this offseason and the Cowboys use one of the 4th rounders for a safety and will probably use one more before the draft concludes.

What I'd like to see us do in FA and the Draft this coming off-season.

In FA,

1. Pick up a "quality" back-up QB.

2. Likely have to pick up 1 ILB as we have 1 FA (Burnett), Z Thomas is getting up there, and then there's always the Carp question.

3. I'd LOVE to find a huge NT this off-season, and then we can move Rat to DE.

In the Draft,

In no particular order,

1. Yet another QB to groom.

2. 1 more OG - enough of Proctor. We need to keep upgrading.

3. An OT, unless there's something we don't know about Free and McQ

4. Safety - Probably SS. This could be it for RW38.

5. Another DL - Not sure what we do with Canty, but Spears seems to be playing better.

6. Another ILB - Definitely can use more depth, even if we pick up one more in FA.

7. Another pass-rushing OLB (can never have too many)

8. Fullback to challenge Cricket - or perhaps a player like Hillis. A FB/RB tweener.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
I used to be a major critic of Jerry — mainly his drafts.

That said, he (along with his personnel staff) has really improved in that area as of late. It appears that he has really grasped drafting the "BPA" theory, thank goodness.

Like Hos, I'm not pleased with the backup QB situation/moves (Moore, Johnson), but Jerry has definitely improved in terms of drafts, FAs, etc.
I also wish he'd slam the door in any player's face who feels the need to bypass the coach when airing his grievances.

Still, I think he's done a fine job the last few years.

Woods

Reaction score
Cowboyz88;2477519 said:
I used to be a major critic of Jerry — mainly his drafts.

That said, he (along with his personnel staff) has really improved in that area as of late. It appears that he has really grasped drafting the "BPA" theory, thank goodness.

Like Hos, I'm not pleased with the backup QB situation/moves (Moore, Johnson), but Jerry has definitely improved in terms of drafts, FAs, etc.
I also wish he'd slam the door in any player's face who feels the need to bypass the coach when airing his grievances.

Still, I think he's done a fine job the last few years.

Yes, in my original post I pointed out that JJ's worst decision was being unable to upgrade B Johnson.

Now, we wanted to draft Booty, but I think the Vikings beat us to him. And I think JJ wanted to trade for Beck. But BP didn't go for it.

The B Johnson decision probably cost us 1 game this season.

That said, I definitely think JJ gets a capable back-up this off-season.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I have really gotten the sense, over the past 3 or 4 drafts, that Dallas has been selecting guys that are markedly superior football players and athletes.
From Ware and Witten, to Felix Jones and Bennett, these guys are significantly better than who the competition is getting.
Not sure what happened to the draft process but it seems to be working. Well, except for the offensive line.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2477438 said:
Jerry is one of the guys in the organization who you can say flat out did his job this year. My only gripe was that he kept Brad Johnson at backup QB and I think it cost us dearly. In almost every other decision he did a great job.

This is true.

MONT17

Reaction score
Jerry and the rest of the scouting staff blew the WR position in the draft! there r like 10 rookie WR who are having better seasons than our guys... We were told by Jerry that no rookie WR would make an impact over Miles, Crayton and Hurd!

The Holland trade is funny because he only looks good because the other option are so bad... who has a better track record with OL Shanahan or Jerry... this reminds me of Kelvin Garmon debate. the Broncos were going to release Holland because he is not motivated, give him some time his true colors will show! i guess in jerryland that is worth a 5th rounder.

Granted jerry hit on Felix but looking back there are a ton of backs capable of doin what Felix does including the undrafted rb/kr with the Saints n bucs.

Terry Glenn move was smart but Jerry put too much faith in the other stiffs like Stanback at WR it forced him to do what he said he wouldnt...

anyone who thinks Adam Jones is a smart move should turn in ur Cowboy Fan Card... there is a man paralized in vegas because Pac man is a cheap scate!

oh and lets not forget the trade that sent very good players to the phins for nothing... would be nice to have Fasano who now looks 10 times better than Curtis, Ferguson who could have allowed RAT to play DE and Akin who is better than Carp! remind me again who did we get in return for those players!

didnt jerry keep like 15 dbs because he wanted to make a trade b4 the start of the season...

name the last GM who had the number 1 seed in the NFC from the year b4 and failed to make the playoffs...

i can go on but its pointless...
Jerry is the greatest GM in Jerryville but outside of that he is average at best!

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
MONT17;2477691 said:
Jerry and the rest of the scouting staff blew the WR position in the draft! there r like 10 rookie WR who are having better seasons than our guys... We were told by Jerry that no rookie WR would make an impact over Miles, Crayton and Hurd!

The Holland trade is funny because he only looks good because the other option are so bad... who has a better track record with OL Shanahan or Jerry... this reminds me of Kelvin Garmon debate. the Broncos were going to release Holland because he is not motivated, give him some time his true colors will show! i guess in jerryland that is worth a 5th rounder.

Granted jerry hit on Felix but looking back there are a ton of backs capable of doin what Felix does including the undrafted rb/kr with the Saints n bucs.

Terry Glenn move was smart but Jerry put too much faith in the other stiffs like Stanback at WR it forced him to do what he said he wouldnt...

anyone who thinks Adam Jones is a smart move should turn in ur Cowboy Fan Card... there is a man paralized in vegas because Pac man is a cheap scate!

oh and lets not forget the trade that sent very good players to the phins for nothing... would be nice to have Fasano who now looks 10 times better than Curtis, Ferguson who could have allowed RAT to play DE and Akin who is better than Carp! remind me again who did we get in return for those players!

didnt jerry keep like 15 dbs because he wanted to make a trade b4 the start of the season...

name the last GM who had the number 1 seed in the NFC from the year b4 and failed to make the playoffs...

i can go on but its pointless...
Jerry is the greatest GM in Jerryville but outside of that he is average at best!

:rolleyes:

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I never had issues with Jerry the GM, other than 2-3 drafts during mid to late 90s. He did go brain dead during the Quincy Carter Draft too. But for Drafting, he wasn't all that bad. Maybe wasn't top 5 in NFL, but I always contended he was not as bad as media or fans here potrayed.

Now, his Coaching selections, thats where I have had problems and continue to have problems. He looks too much to short term answers seems like and not long term there.