A Cowboy Thanksgiving Problem

ESisback

Reaction score
I don’t know if this is the right place for this, but I need advice. My wife and daughters are planning a family dinner at my stepdaughters house—probably 18-20 people. My brother and I have a long standing tradition of watching the Boys on Turkey Day. Here’s the problem: all the relatives hate football! We’re scheduled to eat at 3. The game comes on at 4. If we try to watch it there, everyone will flip, and I’m the jerk for letting “stupid football” ruin everyone’s holiday. If we eat quick then go home to watch, I’m a jerk for leaving a family celebration they worked so hard on for “stupid football”! Either way, I lose! Advice?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they know it is your tradition to watch the game then they should oblige you and let you watch it in peace.

It is just as bad for them not to allow you to watch it as it is for you and your brother to watch it.

One thing I always done was watch the Cowboys no matter what. The check with all the family stuff. They know this is the way I am.

My advice, watch the game. If they make a sink about it, leave and go watch the game.
They are family and will get over it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the Cowboys played Christmas night, I watched them, and everyone knew it well in advance.
This week, my ex-wife is coming over to cook t-Day dinner for our son and his wife, and our step grand child. And a few family friends.

I don't care for it, but they are doing it.
Me, I will get my food, go to my room and watch the game.
I can see them at any time, so be it, I am watching the game, and they all know it. No big deal.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t know if this is the right place for this, but I need advice. My wife and daughters are planning a family dinner at my stepdaughters house—probably 18-20 people. My brother and I have a long standing tradition of watching the Boys on Turkey Day. Here’s the problem: all the relatives hate football! We’re scheduled to eat at 3. The game comes on at 4. If we try to watch it there, everyone will flip, and I’m the jerk for letting “stupid football” ruin everyone’s holiday. If we eat quick then go home to watch, I’m a jerk for leaving a family celebration they worked so hard on for “stupid football”! Either way, I lose! Advice?
That's a toughie but you can record the game and avoid all exposure to the news about scoring. You will score more points with your wife, daughters and family than the Cowboys will and you can still catch the game and not be the jerk.

I know what a fan you are but also what a family man you are. This is just a game and that is real life and the priorities are very simple. ES, when we used to go to Little Rock for TDay, my wife's family could care less about football and the ones that did hated the Cowboys. So, I'd eat and run to catch the game at her Mom's house and while she never made me feel like a jerk, I still feel like selfish jerk for doing that.

So, my man, the only question is how are you going to feel? In all family matters, family matters.

Xelda

Reaction score
Don't they know this is the kick off of the Red Kettles and they just happened to celebrate with the Dallas Cowboys every year? Happy coincidence? I think not! In the spirit of charity and for the love of humanity, let ES watch his game!!!!!! Just in case, set up your DVR and suffer through that wretched meal with your Salvation Army hating family. Maybe you can say the prayer to bless the meal (and Cowboys).

waldoputty

Reaction score
what do ur relatives like? can they happen simultaneously?

ESisback

Reaction score
what do ur relatives like? can they happen simultaneously?

I remember the first time my wife took me to the In-laws for a holiday meal. There was a big game on, the room full of men, and they were watching some old man cutting molding strips with a jigsaw, expounding on the benefits of oak. Must See TV!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I remember the first time my wife took me to the In-laws for a holiday meal. There was a big game on, the room full of men, and they were watching some old man cutting molding strips with a jigsaw, expounding on the benefits of oak. Must See TV!
Was it at least Tim (the Tool Man) Taylor?

waldoputty

Reaction score

if u have a fireplace in the tv room, rip out the flooring around the fireplace and put some marble tiles out there with glue, tools and grout