A hypothetical at pick 58

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just struggle with how much the media and social media blow stuff out of proportion.

I trust the FO will do their homework...if they like him, I’m in...if they don’t, I’m out.

So this guy let's the front office think for him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I just trust them more than I trust the media.

When you turn on the news in the morning, do you believe everything you hear?

No. I have my own opinions. I don't let a front office think for me. Particularly one that's failed for two decades.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Watch both...he’s shown the ability to make SEC OTs look like D3 players.

And I played D3 baseball...hurts me to say that.

i'm all for it. Whoever is the best DL at 58 let's take 'em. Can not have enough talent on the DL, especially when they are cheap.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
With the 58th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Dallas Cowboys select, Jachai Polite DE Florida.

Go Cowboys? Rabble rabble rabble rabble?

What is your reaction if that happened? It's certainly a possibly considering his Combine and pro day.

Seems very Cowboy-ish to me. First round talent. Some baggage causes a draft fall.

He’s a bit of an enigma because on tape he looks special. He shows great burst off the line and knows how to get skinny and low ala Von Miller. He’s also got a good motor which was a bit of a surprise to me.

I don’t know how he performed at Florida’s Pro Day but his Combine was disappointing. I’m also not sure if he’s a head case. All that said, I’d be pretty stoked if we nabbed him at #58.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If he checks out off the field, I’m good.

His tape is unreal.
He does not have honest to goodness "off the field" issues.

Dan Mullen has not slammed him for character issues. But his weight gain and workout challenges from the Combine to the Pro Day should turn a lot of people off.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s a bit of an enigma because on tape he looks special. He shows great burst off the line and knows how to get skinny and low ala Von Miller. He’s also got a good motor which was a bit of a surprise to me.

I don’t know how he performed at Florida’s Pro Day but his Combine was disappointing. I’m also not sure if he’s a head case. All that said, I’d be pretty stoked if we nabbed him at #58.

He supposedly flubbed his pro day too with an injury.

I'm conflicted on it, which is why I posted the thread.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dan Mullen has not slammed him for character issues. But his weight gain and workout challenges from the Combine to the Pro Day should turn a lot of people off.

His reaction to teams interviewing him is the most concerning to me.

But we are talking about pick 58 not pick 18.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He supposedly flubbed his pro day too with an injury.

I'm conflicted on it, which is why I posted the thread.

Yeah, I just saw an NFLN clip of Florida’s Pro Day and they showed him running different drills. He did look like he was carrying bad weight. Starting think this is one of those guys that has natural abilities but doesn’t really take the off-the-field work too seriously. That’s just a guess but I feel like I’ve seen this movie before.

That’s not to say he won’t mature but some of the recent indicators aren’t a good sign. That said, I’d still be interested at #58. His game tape is real.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

The part about him not watching his own film is also a bit concerning. But all in all, he could be a value pick at 58. No way I would spend a first on him with the red flags.

We will know a lot about our interest in him if he gets a Top 30 visit. He is the kind of guy you don't take unless you have him in your building first to figure out what his deal is.

cnuball21

Reaction score

If there aren’t any legit off the field concerns and he checks out I’m doing my own 40 yard dash to the podium to take him.

Would’ve like to see better combine / pro day numbers but his tape is electric.

Plankton

Reaction score
Dropping to #58 could be the perfect thing to snap a talented kid into line. As long as there isn't anything else floating out in the ether with this guy, I wouldn't hesitate at where the Cowboys pick.

Flamma

Reaction score

Did he drop recently? I'm seeing him at #30 on this board I'm looking at. I don't remember him being late first round. Maybe he'll drop more in the draft.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You grab this guy at #58 and put his locker next to an alpha dog like L.P. Ladaceour and my money is on him straightening up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the 58th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Dallas Cowboys select, Jachai Polite DE Florida.

Go Cowboys? Rabble rabble rabble rabble?

What is your reaction if that happened? It's certainly a possibly considering his Combine and pro day.

Seems very Cowboy-ish to me. First round talent. Some baggage causes a draft fall.

Jachai Polite
6-3, 258, 4.84 forty
Said to have gained sloppy weight before the combine.
College playing weight was likely 245-ish.

Reminds me of some other small-framed college pass rushers; although, they all tested much better at the combine.

Bruce Irvin
6-3, 245, 4.5 forty
Never a full time pass rusher. Max of 8 sacks (2017)
Moved between LB and DE.

Tim Williams (Alabama)
6-3, 244, 4.68 forty
2 total sacks in 2 NFL seasons.
Plays OLB in a 3-4.

Vic Beasley
6-3, 246, 4.53 forty
1 big 15 sack season but only 5 sacks each of the past 2 years
Moved between LB and DE.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Bust written all over him. I'm all for taking risks at #58 if they're for the right reasons.

If it's coming off an injury or an off the field incident (but the guy overall has good character and loves football) that's dropping a guy's stock, then it's a risk worth taking if you've done your homework.

A guy who's lazy, doesn't watch his own film, and obviously did little to no preparation for a workout that could've earned him millions.......pass.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The part about him not watching his own film is also a bit concerning. But all in all, he could be a value pick at 58. No way I would spend a first on him with the red flags.

We will know a lot about our interest in him if he gets a Top 30 visit. He is the kind of guy you don't take unless you have him in your building first to figure out what his deal is.

He's the perfect example why no matter how much studying we do on the draft we're never really that informed because we are clueless to the interview process. You can't tell me having the chance to sit down and talk with these players wouldn't shuffle your board at least somewhat if not significantly.

All we can do is go on reports that this guy interviewed well and that guy didn't.