A new way of team building

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good topic. Thanks for starting the thread, OP. Roseman's done a fantastic job in PHI, and it's a good subject for debate what he's actually doing.

Of the stuff on the list: 1. QBs are Important; 2. Spend money on OL/DL; 3. Spend money on S, not CB; 4. RT is a premium position; and change and 5. adapt each season, I'd say 1, 2, and 5 fall into the category of 'no kidding.' I'd also say the Eagles got very lucky at the QB position with what might otherwise have been a disaster on the Bradford deal. To have a contender lose a starter when you were in a bad position, overcommitted to two mediocre players was more luck than brilliance. That said, luck always plays a role.

I'm more envious of the job he's done adding players to the DL. It's not just seeing the importance, but the calculated effort to have waves of players capable of playing at a high level. What a great insurance policy. You've got a similar thing going on with the OL.

I completely agree that it's smarter to spend good money on Ss than it is to spend crazy money on CBs. Speding crazy money on a S doesn't make a lot of sense. That said, it's not easy finding two good Ss in the first place. It's an underrated position in the NFL right now, and I don't understand why.

I don't think the RT-is-a-premium-position thing is revolutionary or all that interesting, but whatever. It's an important position on the OL.

The biggest thing Roseman's done, though, is simply that he's hit on the moves he has made at a higher rate than other guys in his position tend to do. For the record, I don't think your team is special. It's a contender in the NFC next season, for sure, but there are 3-4 other teams in that same category. I do think you guys have a good formula, though, and that the guy calling the shots is one of the best in the league right now.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
Good topic. Thanks for starting the thread, OP. Roseman's done a fantastic job in PHI, and it's a good subject for debate what he's actually doing.

Of the stuff on the list: 1. QBs are Important; 2. Spend money on OL/DL; 3. Spend money on S, not CB; 4. RT is a premium position; and change and 5. adapt each season, I'd say 1, 2, and 5 fall into the category of 'no kidding.' I'd also say the Eagles got very lucky at the QB position with what might otherwise have been a disaster on the Bradford deal. To have a contender lose a starter when you were in a bad position, overcommitted to two mediocre players was more luck than brilliance. That said, luck always plays a role.

I'm more envious of the job he's done adding players to the DL. It's not just seeing the importance, but the calculated effort to have waves of players capable of playing at a high level. What a great insurance policy. You've got a similar thing going on with the OL.

I completely agree that it's smarter to spend good money on Ss than it is to spend crazy money on CBs. Speding crazy money on a S doesn't make a lot of sense. That said, it's not easy finding two good Ss in the first place. It's an underrated position in the NFL right now, and I don't understand why.

I don't think the RT-is-a-premium-position thing is revolutionary or all that interesting, but whatever. It's an important position on the OL.

The biggest thing Roseman's done, though, is simply that he's hit on the moves he has made at a higher rate than other guys in his position tend to do. For the record, I don't think your team is special. It's a contender in the NFC next season, for sure, but there are 3-4 other teams in that same category. I do think you guys have a good formula, though, and that the guy calling the shots is one of the best in the league right now.
I think as a fan that’s as good as it gets. And I think you’re wrong about how special we are. In terms of weaknesses where do you see ours? Both offensively and defensively? There wasn’t a more balanced team last year. Winning games by double digits is pretty special if you ask me.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I’m great! I feel like a champ! How have they been treating you over in our main board?
I haven't posted over there in months....I made the mistake of posting an "lol" in a thread in TATE and was rewarded with 2 points that won't come off until 2038.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think as a fan that’s as good as it gets. And I think you’re wrong about how special we are. In terms of weaknesses where do you see ours? Both offensively and defensively? There wasn’t a more balanced team last year. Winning games by double digits is pretty special if you ask me.

I don't know that you've got a lot of weaknesses. You're Superbowl champions and definite contenders again. You've got a really good team. Your LB group is a bit thin, but mostly I just think you have good units almost everywhere, but there are teams I like better as a whole in the NFC. Minnesota and the Rams, right now. But you guys are right in that conversation.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
I haven't posted over there in months....I made the mistake of posting an "lol" in a thread in TATE and was rewarded with 2 points that won't come off until 2038.
Dude I thought it was impossible to get punished there.

Flamma

Reaction score
The more radical notion is paying safety’s rather than CBs. Great safety play covers up bad CB play. It also makes sense salary wise. The highest paid safety’s are in the $10 million range. CBs? Around $14 million.
It’s the same with paying TEs rather than WRs. It cost less to do it that way. TEs average $8 million and WR about $13. So keep salaries low at RB, CB, WR and you’ll have money to put together great DLs and OLs.

Most of what was said is more "captain obvious" than genius if you ask me. Sure, focusing on safety over corner is fine as long as you have the pass rush. Easier said than done, and he said as much. Same with #1. Every team wants a good backup, but that has been increasingly more difficult since the cap. The days of Steve Young, Danny White, Jeff Hostetler, Jim Plunkett, and Buffalo's Reich are over.

As for #4, hmmmmmmmm.........fascinating. W/ rushers coming from everywhere, RT is prolly almost just as important as LT.

I always thought LT was more important due to it being your blind side. If you have a left handed QB it would be the reverse. But I would think both are very important.