A question about the players over system philosophy

Jbone100

Reaction score
I think that they probably have much less of a threshold than the previous staff for scheme fits but still have some bare-minimums. For instance, with the changes being made to the defensive scheme, they needed more beef inside at DT, longer and more physical press corners, and put more emphasis on safeties that can cover (since there won't be a "box-safety" in this scheme due to having 2 deep in quarters).

All of those philosophies seem justifiable to me. A lot more justifiable than saying that you like Taco over Watt due to scheme but doing so while not showing much of a discernible theme in your other DE acquisitions (other than the fact that we seemed to be "chasing potential" with most of them). If that was the case with Watt, why wasn't it the case with D. Lawrence? Watt was bigger than Lawrence coming out. It felt like Marinelli wasn't a great evaluator but used scheme as an excuse whenever he wanted to go after a pet cat of his. I'm sure we had other shortcomings outside of d-line where we chose scheme over talent but the d-line picks stood out as being the most troubling to me.