A question regarding Garrett

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it’s below average just because of the talent he had. If he was coaching Miami Dolphins type rosters I’d do backflips and say extend the guy with a slightly above average win percentage . He had SB caliber rosters probably 3x (14,16,19)
That’s an opinion not a fact.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think it’s below average just because of the talent he had. If he was coaching Miami Dolphins type rosters I’d do backflips and say extend the guy with a slightly above average win percentage . He had SB caliber rosters probably 3x (14,16,19)
I wont argue with you too much on that. I still think you look at the entire body of work it's above average, but i would also agree with point that Garrett had some underachieving teams. It seems like the Cowboys have been at their worst when expectations are at their highest under Garrett.

Big_D

Reaction score
Win % is a primary measurement of NFL coaches. Whether we want to pretend otherwise or not.

That's great until you start including those crap wins in 2010 or those week 17 wins that meant absolutely nothing. That week 16 loss against a decimated Eagles team defines Garrett much more than the wins he was never able to capitalize on. A misleading win % without playoff success is Garretts crap legacy after a decade. You're the one pretending he actually did something. 2-3 is a more concerning number. That's his measurement.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's great until you start including those crap wins in 2010 or those week 17 wins that meant absolutely nothing. That week 16 loss against a decimated Eagles team defines Garrett much more than the wins he was never able to capitalize on. A misleading win % without playoff success is Garretts crap legacy after a decade. You're the one pretending he actually did something. 2-3 is a more concerning number. That's his measurement.

Crap wins and crap losses even out. Which is why win/loss percentage is a fairly typical measure of coaching success.

Big_D

Reaction score
Crap wins and crap losses even out. Which is why win/loss percentage is a fairly typical measure of coaching success.

No they don't. You're sitting home in January when you could've actually been playing. How's that even? His crap wins define his tenure here because he was never able to move beyond that. How did any of those wins translate to the following season? They never did. Just the usual. Meanwhile 2 other teams in the East win Super Bowls during his time! That measurement is tainted.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No they don't. You're sitting home in January when you could've actually been playing. How's that even? His crap wins define his tenure here because he was never able to move beyond that. How did any of those wins translate to the following season? They never did. Just the usual. Meanwhile 2 other teams in the East win Super Bowls during his time! That measurement is tainted.

Lol. If your equation is to blame the coach for losses and write off his wins, you’re right that it never evens out.

Qcard

Reaction score
Would you be surprised if Daniel Jones and the New York offense dramatically improved across the board next year and the team started being much more competitive within the division? Would you assess some of the improvement to Garrett?

Can you differentiate many sources of improvement? Is Jason's main gift at motivating and maintaining a consistent approach? Maybe he's not very innovative, but what if his offense with Jones at the helm seems more unpredictable and new? His fault or someone else's?
Daniel's roster spot is suspect at best...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
did you think those teams had no shot in 14 and 16? The only one I didn’t was the 19 team and it had nothing to do with the roster as far as me not believing it had everything to do with JG
Didn’t say they didn’t have a shot. But to say they were Super Bowl caliber is an opinion not a fact.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s your measurement. Which you’re certainly entitied to.

Big_D

Reaction score
That’s your measurement. Which you’re certainly entitied to.

I'm the only one who measures playoff wins after a decade? You have a low bar. you said it yourself. You didn't expect anything and got nothing in return. That's just great coaching.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm the only one who measures playoff wins after a decade? You have a low bar. you said it yourself. You didn't expect anything and got nothing in return. That's just great coaching.
That’s been our bar for a generation. I’d say it’s more about great ownership regardless which coach we’ve had.

Big_D

Reaction score
Lol. If your equation is to blame the coach for losses and write off his wins, you’re right that it never evens out.

NFL coaches take the blame. Happens all the time. So that loss to the Eagles wasn't Garrett's fault? You're fooling yourself. Who jerry? Lack of talent? lol Some apparently never run out of excuses. His job was on the line and nothing evened out.

Big_D

Reaction score
That’s been our bar for a generation. I’d say it’s more about great ownership regardless which coach we’ve had.

After a decade coaching was a problem and Jerry was a problem for letting it continue. This wasn't no 2 to 4 year window. The guys been here 13 years and pretty much crapped the bed the entire time. That win % means nothing. No ones going to remember that. It's garbage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
After a decade coaching was a problem and Jerry was a problem for letting it continue. This wasn't no 2 to 4 year window. The guys been here 13 years and pretty much crapped the bed the entire time. That win % means nothing. No ones going to remember that. It's garbage.
The entire era is garbage not just Garrett’s tenure which Id argue was the best of the rest.

Fans just became more frustrated with Garrett because of his extended stay which was on Jerry.

My bar hasn’t rose simply because we changed coaching again.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The entire era is garbage not just Garrett’s tenure which Id argue was the best of the rest.

........like winning a gold medal at the special olympics.

I'll take the Parcels era. At least there was a sense of the team improving every year......and where would the Carrot have been without Parcels handing him over a roster loaded on offense?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
........like winning a gold medal at the special olympics.

I'll take the Parcels era. At least there was a sense of the team improving every year......and where would the Carrot have been without Parcels handing him over a roster loaded on offense?
That a fair comparison. And why my adoption of the Perfect Puppet was basically a mockery of Jerry.

We’re a franchise that’s handicapped from the core.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I used to always say” pick a puppet”. And Garrett was my favorite puppet. Until further evidence I’m not convinced we’ve progressed enough to make a huge difference with Fat Mikey.

I’m not even as hopeful as I was with Bill who ultimately was undermined by Jerry as well.

Big_D

Reaction score

Fans just became more frustrated with Garrett because of his extended stay which was on Jerry.

I know you like to blame Jerry for everything but he wasn't calling plays or managing games. it was killing this team. So basically a lack of playoff success had nothing to do with Garrett? You talk about how great he was during the regular season, but when it's time to step up to the plate they look outclassed and lost. Happened every time. Including the Eagles game this season with his contract hanging in the balance.. That was not Jerry's fault. Garrett was a problem.