A Recipe for Disaster

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Defense.

We went 13-3 due solely to the strength of a running game. Until we get a D who can stop a team on 3rd downs and in the 4th qtr we won't be super bowl ready. We do need a FS and would benefit greatly from Earl, no doubt. However, we also need a MLB, NT and possibly a DE. We're getting closer, yes, but may not be quite to the point yet where one player can take us over the top.

We're prolly a little further than you're thinking, but closer than what I'm thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this team is no closer to a being in superbowl contention that they were ten years ago this is a average team with a average head coach and front office

jday

Reaction score
Defense.

We went 13-3 due solely to the strength of a running game. Until we get a D who can stop a team on 3rd downs and in the 4th qtr we won't be super bowl ready. We do need a FS and would benefit greatly from Earl, no doubt. However, we also need a MLB, NT and possibly a DE. We're getting closer, yes, but may not be quite to the point yet where one player can take us over the top.

We're prolly a little further than you're thinking, but closer than what I'm thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol. Yeah okay, I can agree to that.

The Cowboys need an addition to the middle of their team; OG, DT, ILB, Safety.

What concerns me about the FO is they apparently do not see the value of having a good 1 tech. That bothers me to no end. I understand their thinking. They don't want to spend high for what would be essentially a 2 down player. I understand that. But with the way the Cowboys play offense (ball control), to do that consistently and successfully, you have to be able to shut down the oppositions run game. And without a true 1-tech, I don't see them consistently doing that.

They could solve OG with a bandaid by simply resigning Cooper. Serviceable 1-tech's could potentially be had as late as the third round. Anything later would likely be a project and not an immediate help. That leaves linebacker and Safety. It's hard to say which is more important, but a good addition to either (if not both) would go a long way in helping this defense. My guess is the first three rounds of this years draft will address both positions.

But if they could some how some way address all of those deficiencies, I'd say they are Super Bowl Capable. For me to say "Ready," I'm going to need to see how the coaching staff addresses their schematic issues from a year ago.

jday

Reaction score
this team is no closer to a being in superbowl contention that they were ten years ago this is a average team with a average head coach and front office
This response was brought to you by Low-T Clinic; get your numbers checked today. :grin:

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
no this reaction was brought to you by the history of the dallas cowboys over the last twenty years and counting there record pretty much speaks for its self

jday

Reaction score
no this reaction was brought to you by the history of the dallas cowboys over the last twenty years and counting there record pretty much speaks for its self
2 months ago you could have said the same thing about the Eagles. What's your point?

I guess what I'm saying is: Your post would make a whole lot more sense if there were only 2 teams in the league...then the Cowboys missing out would be unacceptable and beyond explanation. But there are 31 other teams also trying to win championships. And since our current roster for the most part has only been in the league roughly 4 years, everything that has happened to this team 5 years and older has nothing to do with this current roster.

Right now the Cowboys are as close if not closer than the majority of the league. Your statement clearly comes from a place of emotional insecurity and I personally cannot take you seriously. If you would like to add to the conversation in an unemotional manner, have at it; I will be happy to have a conversation with you. But if you are just going to throw out emotional platitudes, I'm either going to ignore you or have fun at your expense. Either way, it won't be a good conversation for you.

ferrispata

Reaction score
I'm all for Thomas, at the right price. I heard on 105.3 the Seahawks are asking for a 1st round pick in exchange for what may turn out being a 1 year rental. No thanks on that, though, admittedly I admit it would be tempting. I might go as high as a 2nd, but I wouldn't feel great about that...especially if we are unable to retain him beyond a year.

I would think that the Cowboys would ask to speak with his agent prior to signing off on a trade to work out a long term deal before committing to giving up a first or a 2nd.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
I said the same thing in the Fan Zone, albeit an abbreviated version of all that Jday just said; minus the cap implications on Dak. He's a dirty player, would be a disruption in the locker room and in the decline of his career.

Our cap is in pretty good shape starting 2019 without restructures and with Romo's money falling off the books this year, there's no reason why we can't retain Dak providing he proves that he is indeed our franchise QB. This includes signing Tank and Martin long term and Irving, remaining to be seen.

No doubt our defense has improved from the shell of what it once was. It still needs pieces, (1T, LB, S) but we're getting there. Sitting on 10 picks this year and as it stands now, 8 next year, and with the cap space we'll have this team is finally chugging along to where we've wanted it to be for two decades now.

Suh will have his moments, wherever he signs, but whoever that team is will rue the day they signed him 2 or 3 years down the road. I'm happy it won't be us.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The other thing to take into consideration is the fact the CBA is up in 2020 and a lot of these deals are just 3-4 year deals and all likelihood these teams have the option to get out when the CBA expires, because it looks like the players are going to make this one for the ages.

Roland

Reaction score
Lol. Yeah okay, I can agree to that.

The Cowboys need an addition to the middle of their team; OG, DT, ILB, Safety.

What concerns me about the FO is they apparently do not see the value of having a good 1 tech. That bothers me to no end. I understand their thinking. They don't want to spend high for what would be essentially a 2 down player. I understand that. But with the way the Cowboys play offense (ball control), to do that consistently and successfully, you have to be able to shut down the oppositions run game. And without a true 1-tech, I don't see them consistently doing that.

They could solve OG with a bandaid by simply resigning Cooper. Serviceable 1-tech's could potentially be had as late as the third round. Anything later would likely be a project and not an immediate help. That leaves linebacker and Safety. It's hard to say which is more important, but a good addition to either (if not both) would go a long way in helping this defense. My guess is the first three rounds of this years draft will address both positions.

But if they could some how some way address all of those deficiencies, I'd say they are Super Bowl Capable. For me to say "Ready," I'm going to need to see how the coaching staff addresses their schematic issues from a year ago.
Seems we as fans have been screaming for a 1 tech and safety for years. A good 1 tech would help out our LB's and help the run D. I like Lee and Smith but we need another solid ILB and then another one after that for depth. With Lee's history, you can expect him to miss some time here and there, esp now that the hammies are acting up. Our pass rush is improving, and if you add a great safety (which we haven't had since when...Woodson?) to this team and if our CB's keep improving...then this D could be a contender. IMO, 3 positions on D (an A grade Safety, a B grade 1Tech and ILB, and another multi pos LB) could be enough to solidify this D.

jday

Reaction score
Seems we as fans have been screaming for a 1 tech and safety for years. A good 1 tech would help out our LB's and help the run D. I like Lee and Smith but we need another solid ILB and then another one after that for depth. With Lee's history, you can expect him to miss some time here and there, esp now that the hammies are acting up. Our pass rush is improving, and if you add a great safety (which we haven't had since when...Woodson?) to this team and if our CB's keep improving...then this D could be a contender. IMO, 3 positions on D (an A grade Safety, a B grade 1Tech and ILB, and another multi pos LB) could be enough to solidify this D.
Agreed. :thumbup:

KeepinTime

Reaction score

I wouldn’t even call Red an average coach. The dude is a scrub.

Oreycsg

Reaction score
Well here is a question though. Is a Suh that is working at maybe 3/4 his potential because he doesnt care about wins better than the DTs we have on our team? Id argue that Suh at 3/4ths is still a top 8 DT in the league. The question is now how much does the skill gap between that and what we have now cost? Thats your $$ for Suh. Make up your own mind as to what that dollar figure is

Roland

Reaction score
Well here is a question though. Is a Suh that is working at maybe 3/4 his potential because he doesnt care about wins better than the DTs we have on our team? Id argue that Suh at 3/4ths is still a top 8 DT in the league. The question is now how much does the skill gap between that and what we have now cost? Thats your $$ for Suh. Make up your own mind as to what that dollar figure is
Even if 3/4 Suh is still a top 8 DT, I don't really want him here. While I am OK with spending the money to help us take the next step, I am not OK with bring in someone who may disrupt the locker room or cause us more problems. I get that he is a big nasty player that could fill a huge hole here, but personally, I am against this option. Was it Suh or Bennett that had the habit of stepping on QB's when they were on the ground? That is not the type of player I want representing us.

Oreycsg

Reaction score
Even if 3/4 Suh is still a top 8 DT, I don't really want him here. While I am OK with spending the money to help us take the next step, I am not OK with bring in someone who may disrupt the locker room or cause us more problems. I get that he is a big nasty player that could fill a huge hole here, but personally, I am against this option. Was it Suh or Bennett that had the habit of stepping on QB's when they were on the ground? That is not the type of player I want representing us.
Perfectly understandable. I personally agree. Id rather draft Vea who I think has a much higher upside and is a much better example in the locker room

jday

Reaction score
Perfectly understandable. I personally agree. Id rather draft Vea who I think has a much higher upside and is a much better example in the locker room
Vita Vea is my Pet Cat and has been since last year. But, alas, most say he'll be gone by 19. Of all the addition's that could take this team to another level, he would help the most....I think.

jday

Reaction score
Are you familiar with the Law of Diminishing Returns?

Now factor in that each year of his (hypothetical) three year contract, he will get paid more and more and more, until they cut him. Right now, it is clear to me he is trying to cash in because this will be the last time he can name his price. If he sees another contract, it will likely be a prove it one year deal 2 years after he signs this next one.

Oreycsg

Reaction score
Vita Vea is my Pet Cat and has been since last year. But, alas, most say he'll be gone by 19. Of all the addition's that could take this team to another level, he would help the most....I think.

DT is such a hard position to mock for. There is a decent shot of him being there. There is a list of 22 prospects that cpuld all be taken ahead of Dallas justifiably and I think a few draft day trades will help push him down because he isnt a "skill" position

jday

Reaction score
DT is such a hard position to mock for. There is a decent shot of him being there. There is a list of 22 prospects that cpuld all be taken ahead of Dallas justifiably and I think a few draft day trades will help push him down because he isnt a "skill" position
Here's hoping. :thumbup: