A Recipe for Disaster

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. Yeah okay, I can agree to that.

The Cowboys need an addition to the middle of their team; OG, DT, ILB, Safety.

What concerns me about the FO is they apparently do not see the value of having a good 1 tech. That bothers me to no end. I understand their thinking. They don't want to spend high for what would be essentially a 2 down player. I understand that. But with the way the Cowboys play offense (ball control), to do that consistently and successfully, you have to be able to shut down the oppositions run game. And without a true 1-tech, I don't see them consistently doing that.

They could solve OG with a bandaid by simply resigning Cooper. Serviceable 1-tech's could potentially be had as late as the third round. Anything later would likely be a project and not an immediate help. That leaves linebacker and Safety. It's hard to say which is more important, but a good addition to either (if not both) would go a long way in helping this defense. My guess is the first three rounds of this years draft will address both positions.

But if they could some how some way address all of those deficiencies, I'd say they are Super Bowl Capable. For me to say "Ready," I'm going to need to see how the coaching staff addresses their schematic issues from a year ago.

Their leaked draft board from 2 or 3 years ago had some 1-tech types rated fairly high.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
In essence, there's a right way to do this and a wrong way. For now, I think the Cowboys are playing the offseason right; being patient, not over-extending themselves, not making moves fueled by the emotional let down of 2018. But indecision will eventually kill them if they are too patient. Given what you said (a 2nd round pick and atleast a 3 year deal agreed to in principle), I'd definitely be on board, without hesitation.
Considering 'We've' generally viewed(and treated) that 2nd round pick like a found dollar on the side walk,why not,you betch'a,love to see him on the team.

The O.P. is zeroed in & on target in the initiation of contact with this subject matter.
:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

jday

Reaction score
Their leaked draft board from 2 or 3 years ago had some 1-tech types rated fairly high.
If I recall correctly, they had a DT (Shelton, I think) rated higher on their board than Frederick, but went ahead and traded down to get Frederick. Obviously I'm not boohooing that move. It was clearly the right decision, as the DT in question they had on their board has disappeared in the league. But I do wonder if there wasn't more than just picking the right guy behind that move. What I mean is, if they truly thought Frederick was better, why wasn't he rated us such on their board? Or did they take the temperature of the draft room and realize Frederick could be had later in the first round? We will likely never know.

But I lean towards the belief that they really don't value DT's like they should, because of them being considered 2-down players in this defense. But, honestly, I'm just guessing here.

One thing is for sure, if (against all odds) some how some way Vita Vea is there and they pass, we will certainly have our answer.

kskboys

Reaction score
Your evaluation of Byron, for the lack of a better term, is lazy. He's not a run and hit safety...that's the knock on him. The problem is you forget what life without Byron was like before the Cowboys drafted him. The Cowboys would get routinely lit up by the oppositions TE and since Byron was added, that just simply has not been the case. In other words, given the right role, Byron can be great. Just don't expect him to add much in run-support, because that clearly is not his strong suit.
I actually find you calling me lazy, well, lazy. I didn't forget any of that. They're not talking about switching him to CB for the fun of it. I think it's kinda lazy that you don't know that!!!!!!!!!!!

jday

Reaction score
I actually find you calling me lazy, well, lazy. I didn't forget any of that. They're not talking about switching him to CB for the fun of it. I think it's kinda lazy that you don't know that!!!!!!!!!!!
You said Byron has zero value. The Seahawks need corner help. If you concede Byron is good in coverage, why would he not have value to a team that needs corner help?

visionary

Reaction score
I love Thomas, but I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for him at this stage of his career. I think we'd regret giving up a 2nd. Because we are not one S away from contention.

I want Thomas badly but no more than a 4th

kskboys

Reaction score
You said Byron has zero value. The Seahawks need corner help. If you concede Byron is good in coverage, why would he not have value to a team that needs corner help?
Trade value. I doubt if other teams would give up much for him. Maybe my zero was a bit much, but he wouldn't bring more than a late round pick.

jday

Reaction score
Trade value. I doubt if other teams would give up much for him. Maybe my zero was a bit much, but he wouldn't bring more than a late round pick.
But the scenario we we're discussing was sending a 4th and Byron/Scandrick (who would be a good bridge player while they retool their secondary) to Seattle for Thomas. Given their apparent need in the secondary, Seattle might just consider it.

If I had my druthers, we would send Scandrick and keep Byron. I think he has a chance to be really good as just corner... especially if we have him chase the opposition's TE exclusively.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
But the scenario we we're discussing was sending a 4th and Byron/Scandrick (who would be a good bridge player while they retool their secondary) to Seattle for Thomas. Given their apparent need in the secondary, Seattle might just consider it.

If I had my druthers, we would send Scandrick and keep Byron. I think he has a chance to be really good as just corner... especially if we have him chase the opposition's TE exclusively.
He seems to be able to cover the 'Gronk'
Like the shadow of night, better than most handed that tasko_O

CCBoy

Reaction score
In essence, there's a right way to do this and a wrong way. For now, I think the Cowboys are playing the offseason right; being patient, not over-extending themselves, not making moves fueled by the emotional let down of 2018. But indecision will eventually kill them if they are too patient. Given what you said (a 2nd round pick and atleast a 3 year deal agreed to in principle), I'd definitely be on board, without hesitation.

J...know what troubles me now? The Cowboys quickly lost Hitchens, and now have five positions demanding upgrade. I'm afraid of the old philosophy of fool's gold hunting and another batch of one year rentals that have two year contracts...betting on next season's cap advantages that seem to be coming.

Sydla

Reaction score
In a year where the Cowboys only have 7 picks, I would understand. But the Cowboys have 10 picks, which means if there is someone there in the 2nd, they have the draft capital to get back in there. For Thomas, it just might be worth it.

As to your "one-Safety-away" comment, you are right. But that's what the draft is for. In other words, they could be a Safety and a good draft (of the 2016 variety) away from serious contention.

People need to stop acting like we have a plethora of valuable picks.

If we trade our 2nd rounder, this assumption we have the draft capital to move up from 3 back into the 2nd might be more wishful thinking than reality.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Lol. Yeah okay, I can agree to that.

The Cowboys need an addition to the middle of their team; OG, DT, ILB, Safety.

What concerns me about the FO is they apparently do not see the value of having a good 1 tech. That bothers me to no end. I understand their thinking. They don't want to spend high for what would be essentially a 2 down player. I understand that. But with the way the Cowboys play offense (ball control), to do that consistently and successfully, you have to be able to shut down the oppositions run game. And without a true 1-tech, I don't see them consistently doing that.

They could solve OG with a bandaid by simply resigning Cooper. Serviceable 1-tech's could potentially be had as late as the third round. Anything later would likely be a project and not an immediate help. That leaves linebacker and Safety. It's hard to say which is more important, but a good addition to either (if not both) would go a long way in helping this defense. My guess is the first three rounds of this years draft will address both positions.

But if they could some how some way address all of those deficiencies, I'd say they are Super Bowl Capable. For me to say "Ready," I'm going to need to see how the coaching staff addresses their schematic issues from a year ago.

This team undervalues safeties, defensive tackles, and linebackers...

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If you have been following professional football for as long as I have, you most likely have learned to recognize a disaster in the making via Free Agency when you see one. For me, the ingredients are fairly simple to identify:

You start with an over 30 otherwise great player.

Throw in some comments from said player about caring more about the “money bag” then actually joining a winning organization.

Give him what he wants on a 3 year or more contract.

And viola, you have the makings of a cap, lockerroom and teamwide disaster.

For me, that’s exactly what Suh represents and as such, I want no part of him. Sure, he might work out in the beginning (though, it wouldn’t surprise me if he fell off from the get go), but ultimately and eventually, that’s a contract I suspect the Cowboys would absolutely regret.

How do I know?

I’ve seen it way too many times before. There was a time Jerry was notorious for paying players for what they had done instead of paying players for what they were going to do. Granted, there will be outliers to this phenomenon…guys that did pan out for their team; but make no mistake, those instances are the exception, not the rule.

So while I recognize Suh has been a beast in this league, I also recognize that for many he has also been a head-case with a poor attitude. Those days very well may be behind him, but eventually his overall athleticism will follow. When that will happen is anybody’s guess, but for big guys like him who have taken a whole lot of pounding over their careers, I’d bet that will happen sooner than later…and most definitely before he reaches year 3 of the potential contract he is likely to get.

It’s a suckers bet and speaking for myself, I truly do hope the Cowboys pass on him.

The other thing I suspect many fans are not taking in consideration is that the way Suh’s (most likely) 3 year or more contract would be structured, is the first year would be cap friendly, with each year accelerating in price. With Dak being due for a contract in 2 years, making this deal could make keeping Dak extremely difficult. Granted, Dak would have to return to his 2016 form for that to be an issue, but I certainly wouldn’t bet against him…especially to rent the declining services of one Ndamukong Suh.

Thoughts?

Suh is one of the dirtiest players in recent memory. Right up there with the guy who stomped Andre Gurodes helmet, Albert Haynesworth. It's not my team but I wouldn't have that piece of crap on my team if he paid ME. That's how much I dislike dirty, unsportsman-like players. Yes they lose their cool some times but Suh is an a**hole. His comments reflect that

jday

Reaction score
People need to stop acting like we have a plethora of valuable picks.

If we trade our 2nd rounder, this assumption we have the draft capital to move up from 3 back into the 2nd might be more wishful thinking than reality.
So your saying you wouldn't trade a 2nd rounder for Thomas?

kskboys

Reaction score

If all a DB can do is cover TE's, it would be easy to scheme him out. It's not like every team bases their O on their TE's.

jday

Reaction score
If all a DB can do is cover TE's, it would be easy to scheme him out. It's not like every team bases their O on their TE's.
I never said that is all he can do. His body type and skillset is just better suited for the job as the other DB's presently on the team.