A reminder of what being a Cowboy fan is all about

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
It's amazing how these memories drastically vary by generation.

My dad was a Cowboys fan growing up and I began to watch at a very young age. I used to be enamored by Deion, Rocket Ismail, and many others as a kid. These were the days before the Panthers existed, so back then - everyone around here either rooted for the Cowboys or the Commanders because that was all that was ever on TV. I never jumped ship though, and have remained loyal to Big D. Although dad and I haven't had a relationship in many years, I do appreciate the times we had bonding over Emmitt Smith and even Michael Jordan, two of the greatest athletes I've ever watched play their respective sports.

Unfortunately, I'm close to 28 years old and most of my memories of the Cowboys are pretty awful. I have been to four games personally and we've won all but one of them (2018, week 1 at Carolina). I vividly recall the Chan Gailey and Dave Campo 'lost' years, the bright and seemingly productive future under Parcells (we all know how that ended), Patrick Crayton stuttering on his route in 2007 when I was in high school, Brett Favre murdering us in the Divisional Round during my freshman year of college, Demarco fumbling and Dez not completely making the play in 2014, Jared Cook's immaculate toe tap in 2016, and of course the Rams exposing us this season in the playoffs. These are the fond memories I have of my Cowboys.

As much anguish as this team has caused me over the years, I love them too much to ever imagine doing anything else on Sunday. That being said, I would have done anything to follow the Cowboys under Landry or Jimmy like some of you. It looked like a fantastic time to be around.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where in Louisiana?

I grew up for awhile in NO.

Loved it there.

Benja donuts baby..

did I spell that right?

And Budah sausage.

DID I spell that right?

And Yuban coffee.

Could smell it in my neighborhood every morning going to school.

I may not spell Cajun well but I know what it is and what it tastes like.

Oh..

and red beans and rice.

Heaven.
:laugh: I never spent that much time in New Orleans to tell you about anything other than red beans and rice. And I have

been a resident for nearly 54 years but in the northeastern part of the state.

This part of the state, and basically the entire northern half of the state, was overwhelmingly Cowboys territory well into

the Jim Finks era. Understandably, success has made Saints' fans strut their allegiance far more visibly during the past

2 1/2 decades up here.

It is still pretty funny watching the reaction of non-diehard New Orleans fans when I tell them about their own roster, etc.,

they have no clue about. The real diehard Saints fans' majority still rests in the southern half of the state, particularly

the southeastern section around New Orleans.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
My dad left to seek his fortune when I was a year old and I lived with my mom and grandparents . My uncle and grandfather always liked the Cowboys and especially Tom Landry so I became a fan even though I lived in the heart of Eagles country .

Lucky for me my best friends dad had season tickets for the Eagles and they would take me to the Cowboys game every year at the old Vets Stadium which was a rough place to be a Cowboys fan even if you were a kid . Grown men would heckle and throw stuff at me .

Nothing swayed my rabid fandom as I read everything I could on the Cowboys and watched every game on TV that was broadcasted . One special game comes to mind . Cowboys were playing the John Brodie led 49ers in the playoffs in the early 70s . We were down Craig Morton was QB and not playing well .

I was beyond upset to the point my mom shut the TV off and removed the knobs . I quickly ran to the basement and secured a pair of needle nose pliers got the TV back on and locked the door .
Then as the tears dried on my face an NFL God appeared in the form of Roger Staubach and led my Cowboys back from what looked to be an impossible situation with TD passes to Billy Parks and Ron Sellers . This took my fandom to another level and Roger was my hero from then on .

The 70s Cowboys will always be special IMO Tom and Roger were an impossible act to follow.
Absolutely awesome story Brother, that part about the needle nose pliers& football god showing up got me laughing & crying all at the same time.

I'd learned at an early age( around 10 y.o. ,I think) that the COWBOYS were not the team to bet your guns on,as my father was a Commanders fan& hated anything Texas& would cuss& curse the COWBOYS every time they were on T.V., well, being how I never ever enjoyed or got used to the bear paw pops up to the side of the head from him, I naturally gravitated to the team that could possibly unload some form of displeasure on him(and,I'd gotten toad stomped for excessive celebration by him a time or two over games cuz' he'd be pissed off over the events of the game)
Well, it was a preseason boys- skins game,and he'd gotten tired enough of my mouth to "bet" winner take all ,a .22 pump up against my .410 bolt,,,well, this was a no brainer bet to me ,as,,,
( my limited knowledge of the inner workings of the game at that time, were,well, limited,like the starting players wouldn't start) ,,,all I knew was the immediate doubling of firepower in my wall mounted gunrack,,,SHEESE, CRIPES& HOLY FLIPPING CRAP, MAN!
I don't even know if Dallas even scored a field goal in that game, I do know dad was laying on the couch chugging past blue ribbons with great gusto & enjoying that game immensely, and after "it"
( the living footballish nightmare)was over, He'd demanded to see his "new" shotgun, man, I was sniveling with tears streaming down handing it over to him with him just laughing his A** off :lmao:

* he'd gone country back in "05" and when I went back home my brother& me divvied up the shooting iron pile( it was a pile too,I took that .410 bolt in the 5th or 6th rd. And promptly left it in that rack with mom, as that's where it seemed like it belonged)

Mother's left a couple of years ago & the next time I head back east of the Mississippi river I'll be picking it up off my oldest sister,,, Ha,when I do ,I think I'll make it watch COWBOYS Football games with meo_O