CFZ A review of the roster (post-draft)

DanA

Reaction score
QB: Dak, Rush, Grier
Same as last year. Nothing to discuss

RB: Zeke Pollard, Jones, Davis, Dowdle, Vaughn, Luepke
It's probably a little weaker but I'm happy that there's no ambiguity over Pollard getting the majority of carries. However, we still need to cover the 800 yards Zeke gave us in 2022. I think Deuce could give us something but it's unclear to me who picks up the short yardage, it could just be Pollard though I'd not be surprised if Jerry brings back Zeke during training camp.

WR1: Lamb
WR2: Cooks N.Brown
WR3: Gallup
Depth: Hilton Tolbert, Fehoko, Turpin Brooks

Cooks is a huge upgrade on Brown who statistically was our WR2 last season. I am expecting Gallup to be much better, he certainly needs to be. TY Hilton is a little bit harder to quantify as he only played 3 regular season games but was quite impactful. I'm hopeful one of the others can step up and take his role...or we get him back.

TE: Schultz Schoonmaker, Ferguson, Hendershot, McKeon
Shultz was quite a bit down last year compared to 2021, he had 577 yards and 5 TDs. I think there's a good chance we cover that kind of production with the guys on the roster but it's perhaps a stretch to project they cover his 808 yards and 8 TDs from 2022. I do feel confident in all three guys though and that they can contribute a decent amount.

LT: Tyl.Smith, Waletzko
RT: Tyr.Smith Steele

I don't think we went the right direction re-structuring Tyron Smith nor do I think he should start ahead of Steele but it's probably not a bad idea for Steele to at least ease into training camp as the no.2 right tackle. Overall, the position is probably not worse considering Tyler Smith and Walezko should improve, this offsets the loss of Peters assuming he's not re-signed during training camp.

OG: Martin, Farniok, Ball, Edoga, Richards
It's the one position where I'm a little uncomfortable as it looks like Martin and then JAG's. I don't really trust any of them to step up and fill the starting LG spot adequately. I'd feel much better if we had targeted someone a bit better than Edoga in free agency (Risner, W. Hernandez, Saffold, Pugh, etc) and I'm still hopeful as some of them are still available.

OC: Biadasz, Farniok
Biadas improved a fair bit last year and we should be fine.

Overall: The offense is probably better structured but slightly worse with the left guard issues. It's not a bad offense though and there are opportunities to get creative with jet sweeps, the screen game etc that we haven't utilized well the last few years. We also still have options to address LG in free agency....fingers crossed we do something as it looks pretty grim to me unless we plan on moving Tyler Smith.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DE: Parsons, D-Law, Armstrong, Williams, Fowler Jnr
It should be pretty similar, I'm excited to see what Williams can do but that's probably offset by the likelihood of a D-Law missing games through injury, we were fortunate that he didn't in 2022.

DT: Smith, Odigzuwa, Hankins, Golston, Fehoko
It should be much much better, particularly against the run. I feel like Bohanna and Gallimore are up against it to even make the roster given the numbers and quality. That's a bit of a waste IMO but I'm at least very happy we finally invested properly in the interior of our defense.

LB: LVE, Clarke, Overshown, Cox, Harper
Lineback should be pretty similar. We lost Barr but we should be able to make up for that with a full season of Clarke and Overshown. I wouldn't write off Cox or Haper playing some time though they basically didn't see the filed in 2022.

Safety: Kearse, Wilson, Hooker, Mukuamu, Wright, Bell, Thomas
No change at safety. It was good last season and I expect it to be good in 2023. I'm going to take a punt and say Wright tries to make the roster as a free safety given how many bodies we have at corner. We don't have a lot of cover for that high-safety role so if he shows a bit he likely secures a spot as a versatile option and perhaps a succession plan to Hooker.

CB1: Diggs
CB2: Gilmore, Brown
SCB: Bland
Depth: Lewis, Joseph, Scott Jnr, Goodwin

Gilmore is a huge upgrade on Brown and while it'll be nice to get Lewis back I think there's an opportunity to free up cap space and use it on a LG, I certainly wouldn't be made. Even in this scenario where I've projected Wright as a safety, we've still got one too many bodies. It's nice to have options though, and as they say, you can never have enough corners.

Overall: It's a huge upgrade on defense in my opinion thanks to fixing the two glaring weaknesses (CB2 and 1-tech). We are not just talented here but we look really well-balanced with no real glaring weakness in the starting lineup.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Very good summary, @DanA

Thus is not a criticism, but team improvement is not just relative to the Cowboy players. It is also measured against our competition.

Personally, I think Philly had a great draft and, relative to them, we probably fell behind. It will be tough moving the ball on the Philly defense.

I think we had at least a comparable, if not better draft than either NY or Washington.

I still think our most glaring issue is solidifying the OG position... whether that is moving Smith to LG, signing a vet or, hopefully, having one of our players develop. Either way, it feels a bit squishy

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

It's probably a little weaker but I'm happy that there's no ambiguity over Pollard getting the majority of carries. However, we still need to cover the 800 yards Zeke gave us in 2022. I think Deuce could give us something but it's unclear to me who picks up the short yardage, it could just be Pollard though I'd not be surprised if Jerry brings back Zeke during training camp.

Cooks is a huge upgrade on Brown who statistically was our WR2 last season. I am expecting Gallup to be much better, he certainly needs to be. TY Hilton is a little bit harder to quantify as he only played 3 regular season games but was quite impactful. I'm hopeful one of the others can step up and take his role...or we get him back.

Shultz was quite a bit down last year compared to 2021, he had 577 yards and 5 TDs. I think there's a good chance we cover that kind of production with the guys on the roster but it's perhaps a stretch to project they cover his 808 yards and 8 TDs from 2022. I do feel confident in all three guys though and that they can contribute a decent amount.

I don't think we went the right direction re-structuring Tyron Smith nor do I think he should start ahead of Steele but it's probably not a bad idea for Steele to at least ease into training camp as the no.2 right tackle. Overall, the position is probably not worse considering Tyler Smith and Walezko should improve, this offsets the loss of Peters assuming he's not re-signed during training camp.

It's the one position where I'm a little uncomfortable as it looks like Martin and then JAG's. I don't really trust any of them to step up and fill the starting LG spot adequately. I'd feel much better if we had targeted someone a bit better than Edoga in free agency (Risner, W. Hernandez, Saffold, Pugh, etc) and I'm still hopeful as some of them are still available.

Overall: The offense is probably better structured but slightly worse with the left guard issues. It's not a bad offense though and there are opportunities to get creative with jet sweeps, the screen game etc that we haven't utilized well the last few years. We also still have options to address LG in free agency....fingers crossed we do something as it looks pretty grim to me unless we plan on moving Tyler Smith.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It should be pretty similar, I'm excited to see what Williams can do but that's probably offset by the likelihood of a D-Law missing games through injury, we were fortunate that he didn't in 2022.

It should be much much better, particularly against the run. I feel like Bohanna and Gallimore are up against it to even make the roster given the numbers and quality. That's a bit of a waste IMO but I'm at least very happy we finally invested properly in the interior of our defense.

Lineback should be pretty similar. We lost Barr but we should be able to make up for that with a full season of Clarke and Overshown. I wouldn't write off Cox or Haper playing some time though they basically didn't see the filed in 2022.

No change at safety. It was good last season and I expect it to be good in 2023. I'm going to take a punt and say Wright tries to make the roster as a free safety given how many bodies we have at corner. We don't have a lot of cover for that high-safety role so if he shows a bit he likely secures a spot as a versatile option and perhaps a succession plan to Hooker.

Gilmore is a huge upgrade on Brown and while it'll be nice to get Lewis back I think there's an opportunity to free up cap space and use it on a LG, I certainly wouldn't be made. Even in this scenario where I've projected Wright as a safety, we've still got one too many bodies. It's nice to have options though, and as they say, you can never have enough corners.

Overall: It's a huge upgrade on defense in my opinion thanks to fixing the two glaring weaknesses (CB2 and 1-tech). We are not just talented here but we look really well-balanced with no real glaring weakness in the starting lineup.
Spot on. The hope is that we wouldn't have looked at Risner whilst there was a chance of drafting Avila... now he's in play.

Smith22

Reaction score
LG and kicker are glaring needs at the moment. Really sucks how early kickers got drafted.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My only roster concern is Kicker.

LG
- If all are healthy, then Tyron, Tyler and Steele will all start.
- That means one of them (probably Tyler) will play LG.
- Edoga is a legit option to play OG. He started a game at LG last season (Falcons) and looked good.
- Farniok started 2 games last season. He looked OK physically. It appeared that with more snaps he could be about as good as McGovern.

WR
- They need somebody to step up and claim the 4th WR spot.
= WR is the 2nd most difficult transition from college to pro.
- I'll be surprised if Tolbert isn't a significant contributor this season.
- Fehoko is big and fast. He needs to stay healthy.
- RB Vaughn had the most receiving yards of any RB in the 2023 draft (more 2 RB sets?).

LB
- Parsons likely plays more LB this season like he did his rookie year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Defense looks deep…offense looks average.
This sounds dumb typing it out, but the good news about the offense looking average is that average is easy to replace. This team went all in on defense, but in reality, if you're going that route you might as well finish the job with depth as you don't want your elite unit to be destroyed because of one injury. People are very worried about an injury at WR, RB, or Oline, however unless it's Lamb or Dak I'm not sure the offense falls off a cliff. You lose a Tyron Smith or Cooks and you really just go back to the offense you had a year ago. You really don't need this offense to churn out 30+ a game

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
B: Zeke Pollard, Jones, Davis, Dowdle, Vaughn, Luepke
I'd say were are handily better at RB simply allowing for Pollard to be the unanimous lead back.

It may surprise some that Zeke out carried Pollard in 11 out of 17 games last year, with Zeke missing 2.

DanA

Reaction score
I'd say were are handily better at RB simply allowing for Pollard to be the unanimous lead back.

It may surprise some that Zeke out carried Pollard in 11 out of 17 games last year, with Zeke missing 2.
That’s kind of what I was alluding too with the ambiguity comment. But for me that’s on the coaches as of they played it 65-35 Pollard-Zeke we’d have been better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The fact that u think RB is weaker nullifies your entire thread. Lost me right there.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

LG
- Edoga is a legit option to play OG. He started a game at LG last season (Falcons) and looked good.
- Farniok started 2 games last season. He looked OK physically. It appeared that with more snaps he could be about as good as McGovern.

WR
- They need somebody to step up and claim the 4th WR spot.
= WR is the 2nd most difficult transition from college to pro.
- I'll be surprised if Tolbert isn't a significant contributor this season.
- Fehoko is big and fast. He needs to stay healthy.
- RB Vaughn had the most receiving yards of any RB in the 2023 draft (more 2 RB sets?).

LB
- Parsons likely plays more LB this season like he did his rookie year.
Bwaaaaa!!!

You cant be serious?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Dont put schoonbummer first ferguson is better than him

Toro9

Reaction score
No way they keep 6 RBs.
Tony, RJ, Luepke, maybe Deuce.
Malik an others on PS

Toro9

Reaction score
It's gonna be interesting what the final 53 is. More interesting than most years

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

LG
Those concerned about G are generally assuming that Tyler is playing LT. I'd be concerned too if I thought that, but it simply made no sense to bring Tyron back as anything but LT. Tyron, Tyler, and Steele should all play. Period.
If Farniok can backup G and C, we're in not horrible shape. I'm not really worried about G for this season. Good veteran backup Gs can generally be had for cheap. It's where Ts go as they try to squeeze out their last season or two.
Speaking of which, they should call Peters yesterday. He played *well* last year, at multiple positions. He'd be our best backup at all positions but C.
We're not grooming any real pick for the future. We've got nothing more useful to do with a backup roster spot than sign Peters.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dont put schoonbummer first ferguson is better than him
I thought they should have planned to stick with Ferguson and used the 2nd elsewhere. As a rookie, Ferguson played about as well as Schultz. We should be giving a cheap rookie who has proven himself every chance to develop.
But I'm unconcerned about who is considered "first" between Schoon and Ferguson. Both will get plenty of snaps.
Except ... TE snaps may go down if they use Luepke. I like the sound of him. A FB who can run and catch. Someone teams will have to pay attention to. Not dead weight.
I even like Schoon. Freaky athleticism is always a good thing.

DanA

Reaction score
Why?

The one that is getting pushed off the roster is McKeon/Hendershot.
Because 2nd round picks are about making your team better. Not pushing guys off the bottom of your roster.

If they aren’t immediate starters than they are projected starters in the near future.