A Theory On Why Our Defense Was So Poor Vs. The Rams

glimmerman

Reaction score
agree ..I would have liked us to take more chances early...ie corner blitz etc.
I would have sent Heath on a safety blitz. If you noticed every time we got close to goff he threw a very bad pass. Could have called run blitzes. Our LB weren’t filling gaps.

Rayman70

Reaction score
And you know that their tired, beat up bodies weren't trying as hard as they could against a much fresher team coming off an extra week off to get rested and healed up.
was telling my bro that too. They got healthy and were fresh//we came limping in. It showed. That said, we kept it within 8...altho they really called off the dogs and got vanilla. The final score wasn't indicative of the nature of the game where we got whooped.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I would have sent Heath on a safety blitz. If you noticed every time we got close to goff he threw a very bad pass. Could have called run blitzes. Our LB weren’t filling gaps.
that was Marinelli all the way...he just doesn't believe in blitzing. We paid the price.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And you know that their tired, beat up bodies weren't trying as hard as they could against a much fresher team coming off an extra week off to get rested and healed up.
Agree. Strange how a bye week for us for the playoffs is a curse. We come out flat.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
No theories needed, but, great for killing time in the off season. The Game was lost in the trenches. Rams O-line dominant and Dallas' O-line nowhere near that. Defensive line by Rams ate up Cowboys' weak line play. And, vise versa with the Rams O-line.

You don't need to know what the other teams are doing when you're stopping em dead in their tracks, man to man. and blowing them off the line as the Rams did. Felt like I was watching the Mid 90s O-line for Dallas.

Both lines on Dallas need help.

Hook I could not have said it better myself.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
we got beat by a superior team in the trenches. Time to get better..NEXT.
Their O line is not superior to our D line. Our D line was giving up pre snap info. which the Rams O line took FULL advantage off. How do you explain last week? We completely control Seattle’s running game, the best running team in football.

We have had some excellent games stopping the run, Seattle in the playoffs and NO’s, and some terrible games against the run, Indianapolis and the Rams playoff game. I think that inconsistency stopping the run is more about coaching than talent. Personally, I think if our D is prepared we have the talent to be very effective at stopping the run.

khiladi

Reaction score
Basically, the Rams found the run the last two weeks of the season and let their streak OL dominate. Anybody paying attention to the Rams knew that they were struggling when teams just started dropping back guys to take away their explosive passing attack. McVay drastically reduced Goff’s passing attempts the last two games and gave teams a heavy dose of Chris Anderson who in the last two games of the season rushed over twenty times each game and over 100 yards.

Kris Richard was doing the same thing Eberflus was doing last year, calling plays sometimes. Richard interviewing had nothing to do with it probably and this Richard calling plays has taken on a life of its own as if he had total control which is not true. Eberflus did the same thing here at times.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Their O line is not superior to our D line. Our D line was giving up pre snap info. which the Rams O line took FULL advantage off. How do you explain last week? We completely control Seattle’s running game, the best running team in football.

We have had some excellent games stopping the run, Seattle in the playoffs and NO’s, and some terrible games against the run, Indianapolis and the Rams playoff game. I think that inconsistency stopping the run is more about coaching than talent. Personally, I think if our D is prepared we have the talent to be very effective at stopping the run.
That day they were. All it takes is to be dominant 1 game. THEY WERE, WE WERE NOT.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Brian Baldinger showed the All 22 where it was Jaylon who was playing the outside run too often and left a huge hole to run through.

LBs never filled their gaps properly. Wasn’t just DL. That’s why Lee was in there so much so he wouldn’t be fooled by misdirection. But he didn’t get the job done

glimmerman

Reaction score
maybe he played a larger role,but at the end of the day, we got manhandled play after play up front. Was a no contest IN THE TRENCHES.
Totally agree. But you can tell the difference in the way the 2 call games. I think Richard is more aggressive and takes a few more chances upfront. He trusts his DBs more than Marinelli.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Richard is NOT the DC.

Marinelli is the DC.

Richard relays the plays. Marinelli has the main play sheet. Richard helps with the passing D.

If we are lucky, Richard will be the DC.
I really do not know how Cowboys fans on sites like this are not aware that Richard has been calling plays all season on defense.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
HOLD UP...I normally agree with you.Been debating with you on these boards and over on DC.com. This isn't like you. What makes you think he was outcoached? That would mean the Saints game was freaking brilliant...JUST SAYIN...sometimes when you get manhandled on the field, you just admit. I think its obvious that's what happened. Getting gashed fro 10 yards a clip on the ground means we were getting bushwhacked at the point of attack up front. If we REALLY wanna toss around blame,AND IM NOT, it would be Marinelli. We used the horses that got us here,and they bested us from pillar to post. Lets man up and admit it. Richard was a Godsend. Lets fix the interior on both lines and get better. YES coaching has to be better,but defense is ok.Offensively is where we need to revamp the scheme and get better. Wish the offseason was shorter lol...Im ready for the new season. God Bless Itzkelz..nice to see you on here again.
I have no idea who you are but ok. He got out coached on a number of levels. First McVay identified a weakness that Kris did not know was a weakness and exploited it. If you want to give Kris a pass for that; ok cool....but Kris made no adjustments which shows that it was not until after the game was completely over that his scheme had been compromised. Clearly, he was out coached.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I have no idea who you are but ok. He got out coached on a number of levels. First McVay identified a weakness that Kris did not know was a weakness and exploited it. If you want to give Kris a pass for that; ok cool....but Kris made no adjustments which shows that it was not until after the game was completely over that his scheme had been compromised. Clearly, he was out coached.
You USE to be on DC.com unless you are not the same dude...all apologies if that's the case. I recall the Avatar you used,but anywho...it doesn't matter I guess. We need to fix the offense,period. Kellen Moore and Jon Kitna aint the answer.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No theories. McVey and Company spent 2 weeks plotting and scheming for the Divisional Round. Dallas did what they do every single week. Quite simple to pick apart if you have the talent.
Nutt shell

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I really do not know how Cowboys fans on sites like this are not aware that Richard has been calling plays all season on defense.

He just hates Marinelli. If the defense makes a good play, it's all because of Richards and if they give up a 1st down or big play it's all Marinelli's fault. He did that the whole season during the game day chat, it would change play by play on who got the credit and who got the fault. 1st and 10, we stop them for no gain, great playcall by Richards, 2nd and 10 and they convert a 1st down, horrible call by Marinelli, fire him. o_O

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You USE to be on DC.com unless you are not the same dude...all apologies if that's the case. I recall the Avatar you used,but anywho...it doesn't matter I guess. We need to fix the offense,period. Kellen Moore and Jon Kitna aint the answer.
We lost in the playoffs because of defense. Sure the offense needs work but if we cant make in game and halftime adjustments defensively we will be right here next year talking about what went wrong and trying to say it was everyone elses fault except Kris.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
That day they were. All it takes is to be dominant 1 game. THEY WERE, WE WERE NOT.
In earlier post you were saying we got dominated because their O line has much better players than our front 7. I disagree. We got dominated by their running game because their coaches out coached our coaches. Their coaches found pre snap “tells” that helped their O line control the LOS. Also, our defensive coaches failed to adjust during the game.

Coaching Matters a lot in an NFL where the talent level is very even!! Most fans, especially those who have not played a lot of football, especially QB, do not understand the importance of smart coaches that put their players in BETTER position to make plays!!

Last edited: