A thought at TE

cowboyec

Reaction score
not opposed at all to adding a vet TE.
but this is a good group of TEs in this draft...and you don't necessarily get one in Rd 2....some options:
•Drew Sample,Washington
•Isac Nauta,Georgia
•CJ Conrad,Kentucky
•Foster Moreau,Lsu
I prefer the draft personally....but not opposed to getting a vet.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jessie James is another to look at if you're wanting to add a vet.

Might not be as dynamic in the passing game as Eifert, but he's no slouch and has potential. Maybe a better blocker and doesn't have the injury history.

I'm not sure there is much reason to think Jessie James is notably better than what we have. He's been in the NFL 4 years, and this was his best season with only 423 yards. He had the one really big game in Week 2 that put his name in everyone's mind, but he didn't do much at all after that. I wonder if he had a less recognizable name if anyone would have even remembered by the end of the season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TE is not on my radar. I would rather keep what we have and spend the extra $ on Adam Humphries

I noticed people talking about Adam Humphries and then went to look at projected contracts on spotrac.com. They had his "Market Value" listed at $10 million a year.

Would you still be interested at that rate?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I noticed people talking about Adam Humphries and then went to look at projected contracts on spotrac.com. They had his "Market Value" listed at $10 million a year.

People often are willing to dump players based on not being willing to pay them, but then will hype up possible replacements without considering the costs. I doubt most fans would want to pay Beasley $6-7 million per year, so I can't imagine them wanting to pay Humphries $10 million per year, even if they thought Humphries was better.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The problem I see with that is do we really know if there is a top 12 TE on this roster now? If they're moving on from Beasley, that position becomes even more important. I haven't seen anything from this group of TE's to think any of them is at the level this QB needs.

Might be that one breaks out but this TE corps reminds me of the WR corps they went into the season with in 2018.

But you think we can draft a top 12 TE or you just want to money whip a FA to get 1? My problem stems from linehan not using them so it's hard for us to say how good jarwin or schultz can be in a more TE friendly scheme. Having said that we did see a glimpse of what Jarwin can do when Garrett, Moore had more influence and he blew up for 3 touchdowns without zeke on the field. Maybe we do have a TE who can help this team if they continue that style of play call. We have so many positions that could use an upgrade if we can utilize the talent we have at TE i think we can better address team needs using expensive FA or draft is all im saying. If the coaches say jarwin and schultz are below average guys then i'm all big upgrades here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem I see with that is do we really know if there is a top 12 TE on this roster now? If they're moving on from Beasley, that position becomes even more important. I haven't seen anything from this group of TE's to think any of them is at the level this QB needs.

Might be that one breaks out but this TE corps reminds me of the WR corps they went into the season with in 2018.

Or, the other option would be to draft a replacement for Beasley to compensate for the loss of Beasley. I think we have TE's on the roster that have at least shown the potential to pick up the slack at TE, but I don't see that we have a WR on the roster that has shown the potential to pick up the slack at slot receiver.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People often are willing to dump players based on not being willing to pay them, but then will hype up possible replacements without considering the costs. I doubt most fans would want to pay Beasley $6-7 million per year, so I can't imagine them wanting to pay Humphries $10 million per year, even if they thought Humphries was better.

That was certainly my thinking. Considering that an extension for Cooper will cost you in the neighborhood of $17 million a year, I don't think we can afford to pay big money you a slot receiver as well. Not for Beasley, and certainly not at $10 million a year for Humphries if that's the going rate.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But you think we can draft a top 12 TE or you just want to money whip a FA to get 1? My problem stems from linehan not using them so it's hard for us to say how good jarwin or schultz can be in a more TE friendly scheme. Having said that we did see a glimpse of what Jarwin can do when Garrett, Moore had more influence and he blew up for 3 touchdowns without zeke on the field. Maybe we do have a TE who can help this team if they continue that style of play call. We have so many positions that could use an upgrade if we can utilize the talent we have at TE i think we can better address team needs using expensive FA or draft is all im saying. If the coaches say jarwin and schultz are below average guys then i'm all big upgrades here.

My premise is based on being able to sign a talent like Eifert for $5 million or less, the way Cincinnati was able to last year. Considering another injury, his cost might even be lower. I'd offer an incentive based deal in that range and the opportunity to start and play with your brother-in-law. I think that would get it done.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Yes I would, if it meant I did not spend 5 million on Eifert. So in my scenario I spend 10 mill for Humphries and very little for my TE's that I am content with rather than 5 mill for Eifert and a slot WR than offers me little.

visionary

Reaction score
I've been ruminating about what the Cowboys might do at TE. I really liked how both Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz finished the season, outside of the injury to Jarwin late. Given that, and the youth of both guys, I'm opposed to investing our top pick in the 2019 second round on adding another young player to the mix. Virtually all players take at least a year or two to get fully up to speed with the NFL game.

Jarwin and Schultz are both hitting that point in 2019, and any rookie, however talented, is going to behind either or both in that learning curve. So if you use your top pick there, the odds of proper return in 2019 are slim and none. And I would rather use that pick on improving the trenches anyway. Give me a defensive tackle or offensive guard.

But, if the team felt they needed to improve, I'd go with a veteran.

Now, this idea is fraught with risk, but also with huge reward. My idea would be to sign former Bengals TE Tyler Eifert.

Now, the obvious risk. Eifert has been hurt - a lot - these past three seasons. And has never been the picture of health during his entire NFL career. He's suffered a myriad of injuries, including coming off of a gruesome ankle injury that ended his 2018 season. That's where the huge risk comes in, and that's why a player this good is even available. High risk, high reward.

And it's the Jarwin and Schultz factors that actually make me feel OK with taking that risk. Even if or when Eifert does get injured again, you would have not one, but two backup options in place, continuing to gain experience. The Cowboys would have great insurance

But when Eifert has played? He's been a Pro Bowl caliber player and regarded as one of the best in the league in 2015. He's a willing blocker, if not a great one, but he's a matchup nightmare in the passing game. Fast enough to force teams to cover with a defensive back, big enough at 6'6" to tower over them and make plays. Versatile enough to line up outside as well.

Eifert was signed tyo a one year, $5 million range prove it deal in Cincinnati last year. And given he had another injury, he didn't prove it. So, his cost should be in that same area, or possibly even cheaper. I don't see anywhere else that you might be able to find a veteran, Pro Bowl talent near that cost.

Oh, and did I mention that his college roommate and brother-in-law is our own Zack Martin? I'd consider that to be a big plus in the equation as well.

So rather than spending out\r best draft asset and hoping that a guy develops in a year or two, I'm rolling the dice on a proven talent and injury risk. I think we have the youth and depth to do that.

I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on this idea?

Let's stop messing around with a critical position on offense

Sign Jesse James and be done with it

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'm not sure there is much reason to think Jessie James is notably better than what we have. He's been in the NFL 4 years, and this was his best season with only 423 yards. He had the one really big game in Week 2 that put his name in everyone's mind, but he didn't do much at all after that. I wonder if he had a less recognizable name if anyone would have even remembered by the end of the season.

His in-line blocking maybe overlooked here. Jarwin is not much of a blocker.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's stop messing around with a critical position on offense

Sign Jesse James and be done with it

I'm still at a loss as to what Jesse James has done to suggest he is the answer at TE. Is it the 428 yards this season, which was the best season of his 4 year career? I don't recall anyone talking up Jessie James in past years, and as far as I can tell he wasn't really on anyone's radar until he had the big game in Week 2 this year. And after Week 2 he didn't do much of anything else. He's probably most recognizable to fantasy football players who scrambled to pick him up as a free agent after Week 2, and then found out he was a waste of a move. I'm not sure anyone outside of Pittsburgh would even remember that Week 2 game had he not had the name of an infamous outlaw that stuck in people's heads.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His in-line blocking maybe overlooked here. Jarwin is not much of a blocker.

The ability to block is a good trait to have, especially with a team that runs the ball a lot, but is that really what people mean when they talk about the Cowboys deficiencies at TE? Does that alone make him the answer? I suspect when most fans talk about the TE problems they are talking about the receiving threat.

As for blocking, Schultz is probably going to be a strong blocker too because that was his primary role in college, and if Swaim comes back he also is considered a strong blocker, plus before he got hurt he was on pace to have more yardage than Jesse James had.

Reaction score
Would you consider Jarwin or Schultz to be "inexperienced backups" at this point?

Not inexperienced, but not real experienced, either. I’d prefer us draft one high or commit to one of those 2 as the starter than to sign Eifert or Olsen.

MaaS

Reaction score
I fear we're putting way too much stock into Jarwin's one big game. The Giants safety play was atrocious.

Going into the season with Jarwin and Schultz is a mistake IMO. I hope I'm wrong.

Blackrain

Reaction score
My premise is based on being able to sign a talent like Eifert for $5 million or less, the way Cincinnati was able to last year. Considering another injury, his cost might even be lower. I'd offer an incentive based deal in that range and the opportunity to start and play with your brother-in-law. I think that would get it done.

I like this idea being close with Martin adds to the team unity and at worst the young bucks have a yr experience under there belts and should be better . 5 mill is a nice figure for that type of talent . Guy like that could help get us over the top