A win yet the Cowboys defense kept it close

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
For those carrying on as if this win against the feckless Bengals was a great victory, think again.

It was the Bengals.
It was at home.
They exposed our midrange weakness in cover.
The Bengals were, late in the game, within striking distance of a win.

You know, there is the fan who sees only negatives. There is the fan who only sees the positives.
But show some tolerance for those in between.

Bear in mind that as you scoff at those who offer concern about the defense or Romo's throwing or mental lapses by others, they are offering to discuss and analyze. To those of you, the perpetual PollyAnnas, give me a break.
We managed to beat a team that is acknowledged as a weak one.
Let's not make like we beat the Eagles or Patriots or Giants.
Show some tolerance for those who offer the cautionary flag.

It's great to see the glass half full but it should suck to be in denial about this defense.

Back to work now, gents.:)

Join the September 28 GROW/GROS Peasants Movement.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2311648 said:
For those carrying on as if this win against the feckless Bengals was a great victory, think again.

It was the Bengals.
It was at home.
They exposed our midrange weakness in cover.
The Bengals were, late in the game, within striking distance of a win.

You know, there is the fan who sees only negatives. There is the fan who only sees the positives.
But show some tolerance for those in between.

Bear in mind that as you scoff at those who offer concern about the defense or Romo's throwing or mental lapses by others, they are offering to discuss and analyze. To those of you, the perpetual PollyAnnas, give me a break.
We managed to beat a team that is acknowledged as a weak one.
Let's not make like we beat the Eagles or Patriots or Giants.
Show some tolerance for those who offer the cautionary flag.

It's great to see the glass half full but it should suck to be in denial about this defense.

Back to work now, gents.:)

Join the September 28 GROW/GROS Peasants Movement.

I'm in on the GROW/GROS movement.

I have no doubt we have the right players at every position, besides #2 WR.

Wade and stewart are garbage.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
A. a win is a win
B. the defense played pretty well
3. no one is running around saying we are amazing and better than we are, yet a whole lot seem quite willing to label us as trash.
F. you confuse glass half empty with HOLY CRAP MY GLASS JUST EXPLODED!

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
stealth;2311825 said:
A. a win is a win
3. no one is running around saying we are amazing and better than we are, yet a whole lot seem quite willing to label us as trash.

So, you think Wade and stewart are doing a fine job?

I think we are a good team. Top 10 easily. We have the talent to be the best. I think Wades lax coaching, and Stewarts zone defense's can take a hike. Thats just my opinion.

I am tickled to death with 4-1. I know we should be 5-0 with the team we have.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
stealth;2311825 said:
A. a win is a win

I thought Larry Brown made a good point on the postgame show on 1310. (not verbatim) "It would be one thing if Cincy, a team with talent, came in here and just played really well and took us to the wire and we pulled it out.

Cincy played HORRIBLE. Carson had a very bad day. An 0-4 team came in to Texas Stadium, after we had heard all week about how Dallas was angry after the loss and was gonna come out with alot of emotion, and they had a shot to tie it half way through the 4th qtr."

That bothers me the most, that Cincy didnt play well and still, tight ballgame.

The team has no fire, I cant explain it, but it wreaks of cupcake icing.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
hey, How about some credit for Keith Davis!!

3rd string saftey out there making a big play in the endzone!!

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I see a team that makes a play when it needs too.

I think that between "Hard Knocks" the way we were the "it" pick in the off season for the super bowl, and how much media this team and jerry are getting that we have a huge target on our backs.

That isn't going to change, and we aren't going to have too many pretty or easy wins, what matters is that we win.

I will get ticked at the coaches when we start losing.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
stealth;2311844 said:
I see a team that makes a play when it needs too.

I think that between "Hard Knocks" the way we were the "it" pick in the off season for the super bowl, and how much media this team and jerry are getting that we have a huge target on our backs.

That isn't going to change, and we aren't going to have too many pretty or easy wins, what matters is that we win.

I will get ticked at the coaches when we start losing.

Yeah...that is the Wade philosophy. But it wasn't the Jimmy Johnson philosophy. Go back and watch those America's game specials on NFL network on some of our superbowl teams. All the players talked about how Jimmy stressed HOW we won, and if it was crappy....well then you werent getting any pom pom waving from Jimmy like we get from Wade.

Jimmy knew that if you play bad, and dont do the little things right, then you may beat some bad teams throughout the course of a season, but you wont beat really really good football teams, which is unfotunately what you are going to get in the playoffs. Maybe there is a reason why Wade's teams have never had playoff success.

How you win does matter

Boysboy

Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2311832 said:
So, you think Wade and stewart are doing a fine job?

I think we are a good team. Top 10 easily. We have the talent to be the best. I think Wades lax coaching, and Stewarts zone defense's can take a hike. Thats just my opinion.

I am tickled to death with 4-1. I know we should be 5-0 with the team we have.

A year from now, Wade will be in New Orleans where his Saints D will be wrecking havoc, while [whatever DC is with us next year] will be getting the SAME flack Wade/Brian are getting now.

The majority of this personnel is from the Parcells "bend but don't break" era. Wade may be a defensive guru, but he can only play with the cards he's dealt with.

Whine and gripe all you want-but you better look longer and harder before you throw stones.

Boysboy

Reaction score
TEUFELI;2311858 said:
Yeah...that is the Wade philosophy. But it wasn't the Jimmy Johnson philosophy. Go back and watch those America's game specials on NFL network on some of our superbowl teams. All the players talked about how Jimmy stressed HOW we won, and if it was crappy....well then you werent getting any pom pom waving from Jimmy like we get from Wade.

Jimmy knew that if you play bad, and dont do the little things right, then you may beat some bad teams throughout the course of a season, but you wont beat really really good football teams, which is unfotunately what you are going to get in the playoffs. Maybe there is a reason why Wade's teams have never had playoff success.

How you win does matter

You forgot about the Jimmy Johnson Dolphins teams who CRASHED AND BURNED at the end of every season.

Am I missing something? Really-I would think even JJ would CRINGE at the thought of coaching this team.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Boysboy;2311867 said:
A year from now, Wade will be in New Orleans where his Saints D will be wrecking havoc, while [whatever DC is with us next year] will be getting the SAME flack Wade/Brian are getting now.

The majority of this personnel is from the Parcells "bend but don't break" era. Wade may be a defensive guru, but he can only play with the cards he's dealt with.

Whine and gripe all you want-but you better look longer and harder before you throw stones.

What players have to go in order to play a pressure style defense? We have the players, we don't have the coaching on defense.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2311875 said:
What players have to go in order to play a pressure style defense? We have the players, we don't have the coaching on defense.

why was it okay every where else, why is wade labeled a defensive guru?

it didn't happen just to mess with your head, he knows his stuff and has proven it over and over.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
Boysboy;2311870 said:
You forgot about the Jimmy Johnson Dolphins teams who CRASHED AND BURNED at the end of every season.

Am I missing something? Really-I would think even JJ would CRINGE at the thought of coaching this team.

No, I didnt "forget"...I also didn't forget that Jimmy has skins on the wall. Wade does not. The fact that a team he once coached struggled in miami doesnt change that he won 2 superbowls preaching that how you win does matter. Wade...again...has none.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
stealth;2311886 said:
why was it okay every where else, why is wade labeled a defensive guru?

it didn't happen just to mess with your head, he knows his stuff and has proven it over and over.

I'll ask again, what players on this defense force us to play soft zone so much?

Boysboy

Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2311875 said:

We need a big 3-4 NT like a Casey Hampton or Vince Wilfork. We need another pass rusher or 2. We need corners who can play man.

Whine and complain all you want-our complaints about Wade are the exact same ones we had on Parcells. And whoever our next DC is next year, we'll be throwing him and Garrett under the bus bi-weekly. Book it.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2311890 said:
I'll ask again, what players on this defense force us to play soft zone so much?

how do you know for a fact that man to man would work better?

we won, tweak things week to week and keep winning.

Switching it now when they spent all this time with it could be counter productive and change for the sake of change isn't a good coaching philosphy.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
This is never going to end. Hey, this is the USA, though.

This defense has two elite or Super Star players on it right now:

DeMarcus Ware
Terence Newman

You could put Zach Thomas in there if you want to, and Pacman could join the ranks pretty soon. Ratliff is trying to make a Pro Bowl this year.

It isn't a dominant defense. It is a very good defense. It is full of very good players. They play hard. They are big, strong, and very good up front. The talent in the secondary is excellent. Mike Jenkins played very well today. Orlando Scandrick played very well today. They are rookies for crying out loud. Anthony Henry played very well today. Pacman played very well today.

It is what it is. They need to tighten up the run defense a little bit right now, but they have been stout against the run since 2005 or the last three years.

The Bengals started four drives in Dallas territory after the two turnovers and the two kickoff returns. Plus, they got the onside kick around mid-field. Outside of a couple of disappointing T.J. Houshmendzadah touchdowns, they played really well. The Bengals got some points out of that field position, but they didn't get enough.

The field position on the plus side of the field or in Dallas territory kept the Bengals in this game.

Palmer, Johsnon, and Houshmendzadah are Pro Bowl players. They got beat.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Boysboy;2311891 said:
We need a big 3-4 NT like a Casey Hampton or Vince Wilfork. We need another pass rusher or 2. We need corners who can play man.

Whine and complain all you want-our complaints about Wade are the exact same ones we had on Parcells. And whoever our next DC is next year, we'll be throwing him and Garrett under the bus bi-weekly. Book it.

1.Ratliff is one of the most disruptive NTs in the game
2.Ware, Elliss,Spencer(coming off injury is supposed to be a rusher)
3.Henry, Jones, Jenkins, and Newman(Newman is more a zone corner)

Like I said, we have the players to put pressure on defenses....if you don't believe me, re-watch the first half....up until 17 to 0 we were playing quite a bit of press with Pacman and Henry from what I recall. Stewart goes right back to zone when we get up 10 or so, instead of forcing teams into turnovers when they are forced to be one dimensional.