AAF Threatening To Fold Again

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
For the people who want a developmental league where someone like Mike White can get real experience, the players' association is in the way.

The first-year AAF is in danger of folding due to a lack of cooperation from the NFL Players’ Association to use NFL players, according to the league’s majority owner, Tom Dundon. “If the players union is not going to give us young players, we can’t be a development league.”

...a players’ association official told USA Today the union has “serious concerns” about injury risks and the legal ramifications of allowing NFL players to participate in the AAF...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
But wasn't this AAF the very brainchild of the N.F.L.?
quickly devised & rapidly deployed in order to be out in front & well established in order to undercut/lessening the perceived monetary impact of the UPCOMING XFL'S DEBUT? ‰

EST_1986

Reaction score
But wasn't this AAF the very brainchild of the N.F.L.?
quickly devised & rapidly deployed in order to be out in front & well established in order to undercut/lessening the perceived monetary impact of the UPCOMING XFL'S DEBUT? ‰
I don't think the NFL had any hand in the creation of this league, just threw support behind it

GMO415

Reaction score
People can only take so much of a good thing. After NFL and CFB there shouldn't be anything else .

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the NFL had any hand in the creation of this league, just threw support behind it

They were just publicly welcoming b/c the NFL does not want another collusion lawsuit. They are not financially involved. If the NFL wanted a developmental league, it would start its own.

zerofill

Reaction score
If i was a bubble nfl player, there is no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that i would play in the aaf until i was cut... one bad injury and you are done... not worth the risk

No risk... no reward...

If you don't show what you have, you might not get the chance.

Especially when teams make mistakes and pay big money to certain players, that you might be better than.

But they aren't sitting that $15mil guy to find out, in most cases.

Pape

Reaction score
No risk... no reward...

Especially when teams make mistakes and pay big money to certain players, that you might be better than.

they want the lower tier guys on the nfl rosters... you get a chance to show what you got everyday in practice. Thats not a risk i'd want to take... ymmv

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No risk... no reward...

Teams are always trying to replace expensive veterans with cheaper, younger players. Rookie contracts are like gold in the NFL. College was closer to real football than the AAF. There is no incentive for actual NFL players. They are better off staying healthy.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Why would not being able to use NFL players in the 2020 season cause the 2019 season to end prematurely?
They may be operating at a loss hoping for gains in the future. With the future looking bleak, investors are probably pulling out and cutting their losses.

Pape

Reaction score
In the end, anyone think it will end differently for the xfl? That league is probably better funded, but i dont think it will last either.

ghst187

Reaction score
If a tree falls in the forest and no one was listening.......