Aaron Brooks (former Saints QB)

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Here is a back-up QB candidate that no one seems to talk about, and who has been sitting at home free and clear for almost 2 years.

- Only 32 years old

- Very above-average arm

- Above-average mobility

- Good locker room guy by all accounts, even factoring in he is Vick's cousin :)

- Realizes at this point he has to accept a back-up role after 2 years out of
the league.

- Extensive starting experience and until the last year and a half of his career,
was extremely durable. I believe he had almost a 5 season streak without
missing a start at one point between the middle of 2000 and the 2005
seasons. Also, his injury in Oakland in '06 (torn pec muscle) was caused by
trying to dive for a fumble. We need more of that type of spirit around here!

- 123/92 TD to INT ratio for his career, and that is slightly stained by his year
in football purgatory (Oakland)

Anybody have any objections to this guy as a 2nd stringer? I can't help but think of how great his arm would have looked these last 3 games. He would seem like a perfect back-up QB fit for Garrett's downfield offense and his scrambling ability would certainly have served us well also.

This is the guy I want for next year to back up Romo, I guess it's too late for this season to bring him in and do any good of course.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I'll never forget the footage of Brooks cutting up and laughing on the sidelines as the Colts were beating the Saints 31-0. That was his last season in New Orleans because the fans basically ran him out after seeing that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would definitely dispute the 'good locker room guy' statement.

The book on him has always been that he has the physical tools but isn't willing to work as hard as he needs to to maximize those skills.

And his attitude towards being a backup has been awful, as if it's beneath him.

Those reasons have combined to have him watching instead of playing.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I would much rather have Bledsoe and I still have nightmares about him as our QB.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
stasheroo;2405059 said:
I would definitely dispute the 'good locker room guy' statement.

The book on him has always been that he has the physical tools but isn't willing to work as hard as he needs to to maximize those skills.

And his attitude towards being a backup has been awful, as if it's beneath him.

Those reasons have combined to have him watching instead of playing.

I'm curious, when did he have to accept being a back-up? Was it at the end of 2005 when he was benched for Todd Bouman in New Orleans?

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;2405065 said:
Didn't he run the wrong way on one play? He isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

There is a reason he is only 32, and no one has even mentioned him around the NFL.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
jcblanco22;2405040 said:
Here is a back-up QB candidate that no one seems to talk about, and who has been sitting at home free and clear for almost 2 years.

- Only 32 years old

- Very above-average arm

- Above-average mobility

- Good locker room guy by all accounts, even factoring in he is Vick's cousin :)

- Realizes at this point he has to accept a back-up role after 2 years out of
the league.

- Extensive starting experience and until the last year and a half of his career,
was extremely durable. I believe he had almost a 5 season streak without
missing a start at one point between the middle of 2000 and the 2005
seasons. Also, his injury in Oakland in '06 (torn pec muscle) was caused by
trying to dive for a fumble. We need more of that type of spirit around here!

- 123/92 TD to INT ratio for his career, and that is slightly stained by his year
in football purgatory (Oakland)

Anybody have any objections to this guy as a 2nd stringer? I can't help but think of how great his arm would have looked these last 3 games. He would seem like a perfect back-up QB fit for Garrett's downfield offense and his scrambling ability would certainly have served us well also.

This is the guy I want for next year to back up Romo, I guess it's too late for this season to bring him in and do any good of course.

Love it. Mark me down as on board.

No way it happens though.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Why don't we bring back Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf and Quincy Carter!?!?!?

This is not 2000-2002 and we don't need to grasp at straws. We have a contending team (despite the obvious) and there is no need to reach for a bum QB.

After this season, we will carry 3 QBS for sure. One in draft, and a capable starter/backup type. Here are some options:

Brian Griese - maybe
Brooks Bollinger - oh god
JP Losman - geeze
Byron Leftwitch - maybe

Is there anybody else not named Jeff Garcia we should add to the list?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
How about we draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round? Let's stop looking for gems among the bargain basement. I'm not talking about paying top dollar for a back but we do need to invest a little something if we want to have any confidence in him.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
Brooks also served as the Raiders QB. I'm not sure he's recoverable. Although Kerry Collins survived...
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v338/Buthros/Football/brooks2.jpg

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
THUMPER;2405135 said:
How about we draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round? Let's stop looking for gems among the bargain basement. I'm not talking about paying top dollar for a back but we do need to invest a little something if we want to have any confidence in him.

:hammer: i agree..... on Aaron, seen him a couple weeks ago and not that I would want him anyway, but the guy is not in shape to play and really don't think he wants to. I have known Aaron since he was at UVA and think he had a couple good years in N.O. but lost alot towards the end:)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If he had been in shape and was ready to be a quality back up I wouldn't be against this. But from the sounds of it it doesnt appear he's in shape or that he wants to play at this point.

I certainly think he'd have been a better option than Brad Johnson.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2405151 said:
If he had been in shape and was ready to be a quality back up I wouldn't be against this. But from the sounds of it it doesnt appear he's in shape or that he wants to play at this point.

I certainly think he'd have been a better option than Brad Johnson.

yes I agree that he would be a big improvement over them 2 and I like Aaron. so everyone knows he didn't come out and say he didn't want to play just got that vibe on how he was acting and talking:)

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Romo2Owens4six;2405138 said:
:hammer: i agree..... on Aaron, seen him a couple weeks ago and not that I would want him anyway, but the guy is not in shape to play and really don't think he wants to. I have known Aaron since he was at UVA and think he had a couple good years in N.O. but lost alot towards the end:)

What's his story currently? I heard he was going into land developing for low income housing in his hometown of Newport News, VA. Did he lose his desire to play or has he been shut out of the NFL?

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
jcblanco22;2405158 said:
What's his story currently? I heard he was going into land developing for low income housing in his hometown of Newport News, VA. Did he lose his desire to play or has he been shut out of the NFL?

not to positive about the N NEWS thing. I seen him at a restraunt/ sports bar (Home Team Grill) in Richmond and only talked to him about 15, 20 mins. he was a guest on a espn radio show called hardly working with greg burton ( a local sports analyst). so we caught up for a minute because I hadn't seen him in a couple years, but we didn't get into the personals.:)

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Romo2Owens4six;2405173 said:
not to positive about the N NEWS thing. I seen him at a restraunt/ sports bar (Home Team Grill) in south Richmond and only talked to him about 15, 20 mins. he was a guest on a espn radio show called hardly working with greg burton ( a local sports analyst). so we caught up for a minute because I hadn't seen him in a couple years, but we didn't get into the personals.:)

Good deal, good to know he's still out there in the sports world in some capacity at least. I always thought he was underrated as a quarterback, in spite of whatever flaws he had.