Addressing Dak’s “Sophmore Slump”

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It wasn't Zeke, it was Tyron.
I submit both. yeah we lacked the playmaking ability of Elliott, but he is a complete back. Running, passing and blocking. He's actually pretty decent at picking up the blitz. But last season with him out and even when he came back he wasn't the same as . Smith there's zero argument, he was sorely missed. Plus LG and RT had some issues.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adjust? Explain this theory to me and the coaching staff please....
Every offense should be tailored to their personnel, you lose two huge parts of the offense, you cannot expect to go on business as usual.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak is fine under ideal conditions. No doubt that OL play needs to be better and depth needs to be found but that was him throwing the ball all over the place and into coverage while he let his mechanics go into the toilet.

Dak is better than a bus driver but he is not able to carry a team. That is the overall take here.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dak is fine under ideal conditions. No doubt that OL play needs to be better and depth needs to be found but that was him throwing the ball all over the place and into coverage while he let his mechanics go into the toilet.

Dak is better than a bus driver but he is not able to carry a team. That is the overall take here.
Not able to carry a team? Alright then. Only been doing it since college but hey. You are right.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Most qb aren’t very good when under pressure all game.

Yessirr. It's no big secret. Putting pressure on the QB is good for the defense and bad for the offense. Well, it may be a secret to Jerry and I'm not sure why. He knows Haley was the player that put the 90's team over the top. His young brain must have forgotten.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not able to carry a team? Alright then. Only been doing it since college but hey. You are right.

This is not college. No doubt he is needed but he is not Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers who can still function without ideal OL play and a running game.

This discussion is not going to be in play for a couple years now but no way on Earth should he be paid like those guys.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Most qb aren’t very good when under pressure all game.

Sure and that puts him in JAG territory for all the excuses you guys are trying to make for him. Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are examples of guys who can function in a poor pass protection environment. He is not at those guys level.

If you want to be content with him being Blake Bortles then more power to you.

phildadon86

Reaction score
This is not college. No doubt he is needed but he is not Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers who can still function without ideal OL play and a running game.

This discussion is not going to be in play for a couple years now but no way on Earth should he be paid like those guys.
I take it you didn't see the OL he played behind in College when he led his team to their best season in its history. lol

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I take it you didn't see the OL he played behind in College when he led his team to their best season in its history. lol

I watched a dozen or games of him after we drafted him. If this were college then perhaps he could carry the Cowboys like he was able to Mississippi State.

The takeaway here is that he was not able to do so in the pros. Your argument makes sense when Tyron goes down and you are trying to tell us Dak will be fine. Well he did face NFL pressure and he wasn't fine. You ship sailed months ago.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I watched a dozen or games of him after we drafted him. If this were college then perhaps he could carry the Cowboys like he was able to Mississippi State.

The takeaway here is that he was not able to do so in the pros. Your argument makes sense when Tyron goes down and you are trying to tell us Dak will be fine. Well he did face NFL pressure and he wasn't fine. You ship sailed months ago.
My ship sailed months ago? In 2016 he was more than fine. He had a rookie year in his second year. I am not making any judgement until his next full season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I submit both. yeah we lacked the playmaking ability of Elliott, but he is a complete back. Running, passing and blocking. He's actually pretty decent at picking up the blitz. But last season with him out and even when he came back he wasn't the same as . Smith there's zero argument, he was sorely missed. Plus LG and RT had some issues.

Yeah, we dinked around at LG too long, Collins got better over time. We certainly did miss Elliott in the passing game, where, yeah, he's a really good blocker. Right around the time of the Chiefs game it looked like we were hitting our stride and it just fell apart when the protection broke down.

They were far from getting it back, too, even with Elliott back in the lineup. Smith missed basically the last two games again with the knee injury and we saw what it did to the offense and to Dak.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Before Zeke was suspended, these were Dak’s numbers over the first eight games:

Total Yards - 2,013
Total TDS - 20
Interceptions - 4

Project those stats over an entire season:

Total Yards - 4,026
Total TDs - 40
Interceptions - 8

Compare that to his rookie year:

Total Yards - 3,949
Total TDs - 29
Interceptions - 4

So even with some early struggles from the offensive line and a worsening connection with Dez, Dak’s trajectory was pointing way up.

So had Dak & Zeke played the entire season together, we’d be talking about what a monster year Dak just had.

If you take away his best weapon, injure his best offensive lineman [and do nothing to compensate for it] and leave him with receivers who struggle to get open, your QB is bound to struggle.

But since Zeke will be playing a full season next year and the front office is using draft picks to make the offense “Dak friendly”, we have absolutely no reason to believe his trajectory won’t go back to pointing up.

Dak is the man and we’re fortunate to have him.

Thanks for this. Lots of Dak bashing around here.