CFZ After camp thoughts about this 22/23 squad

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-It was always about the plan "when Tyron gets hurt". The same thing was said about Sean Lee. Both were great players, but this league is all about being available. The Tyler Smith era has begun. The expectation is early growing pains, but will become an elite starter late this yr or next. I believe Tyler's play will allow the Cowboys to move on from Tyron next offseason. Perfect world, Jason Peters never plays a snap at LT this season.

-This offseason primary goal was to fix their rushing attack, Wouldn't be so concerned about lack of veteran depth at receiver as I believe we are going to see more 22 personnel this yr. When the Cowboys offense has been elite under Dak, it has been due to balance. Add in Dak/Zeke now being fully healthy, our offense should rebound, depending on how the OL comes together. Huge years for Biaz, Steele and McGovern. Will they earn 2nd contracts?

-Time for Kellen Moore unleash Tony Pollard. He isn't playing special teams any more, don't need to worry about his snap counts. He is a matchup nightmare, get him involved in both the run and the pass. Also, find ways to get Turpin involved in the offense. His skill set is very much like a young DJax.

-Defense starts about stopping the run and getting teams in passing situations. Bohanna reportedly has taken the next step and earned a starting position. Can Osa do the same in year 2 at the 3T? They probably have their best depth inside in a long while.

-This is the deepest DL rotation we have seen in year's. Our pass rush has potential to become elite, IF this defense can win the early downs. I believe we are going to see teams game plan to take Parsons out, which should allow the rest of the players to have big seasons with favorable matchups.

-Our linebacker unit has elite potential as well and could even get stronger as the season progresses. Lve came on late, the addition of Barr and then the two LSU prospects contributing at some point this season. Cox might take a couple weeks to get going, but he offers elite coverage abilities.

-Can Hooker return to form or is his body too broken down? Can Brown have a repeat performance? Will Lewis hold off Bland all season long? Can Diggs take the next step as a cover corner? Think the secondary will be fine, especially with a strong pass rush in front of them.

-I am very skeptical that Maher will be better for the 2nd time. Odds are we are still going to have PK troubles. I can care less about those 50 plus FG's, but care more about the extra points and kicks within makeable ranges.

Is this team a Super Bowl Contender? A lot of things would have to go right, especially the OL. I do believe they are a playoff contender and could be in that mix in the near future.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m not sure why many on here are not concerned about McGovern at Guard. I guess people don’t remember him last season at LG? He was bad. Bad enough to bring back Connor Williams into the lineup penalties and all.

John813

Reaction score
I’m not sure why many on here are not concerned about McGovern at Guard. I guess people don’t remember him last season at LG? He was bad. Bad enough to bring back Connor Williams into the lineup penalties and all.

IIRC he played with too much abandon/poor leverage. He had the strength, but would whiff often.
Maybe with a full offseason it's gotten better, it is contract season after all.
He was the starter at LG all throughout preseason so maybe it's clicked for him or he was the best of the worst. Time will tell. Unfortunate first matchup for him facing VV

I don't think people are ignoring it but the bigger hole, potentially, is left tackle. It's easier to mask a struggling guard than it is a tackle imo.

817Gill

Reaction score
To be fair he practiced at RG mostly last offseason and when he played for Martin week 1 was good.

I think with an offseason at LG he could improve. I don’t think he’s so bad that hope is lost.

shabazz

Reaction score
Not the gospel but merely judging by acquisitions and lack of acquisitions.

Defense is up and coming
Offense will be no better and a damn good chance of being less effective
Special teams neglected at the place kicker position which will haunt them
Penalties will probably be high and the chance of getting as many turnovers is possible, but improbable

A more competitive fight to win the East but the defense will make it possible

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I believe we are going to see teams game plan to take Parsons out, which should allow the rest of the players to have big seasons with favorable matchups.

Exactly what he talked about as the best player in the league. Not stats, but making others around him better.

fivetwos

Reaction score
-It was always about the plan "when Tyron gets hurt". The same thing was said about Sean Lee. Both were great players, but this league is all about being available. The Tyler Smith era has begun. The expectation is early growing pains, but will become an elite starter late this yr or next. I believe Tyler's play will allow the Cowboys to move on from Tyron next offseason. Perfect world, Jason Peters never plays a snap at LT this season.

-This offseason primary goal was to fix their rushing attack, Wouldn't be so concerned about lack of veteran depth at receiver as I believe we are going to see more 22 personnel this yr. When the Cowboys offense has been elite under Dak, it has been due to balance. Add in Dak/Zeke now being fully healthy, our offense should rebound, depending on how the OL comes together. Huge years for Biaz, Steele and McGovern. Will they earn 2nd contracts?

-Time for Kellen Moore unleash Tony Pollard. He isn't playing special teams any more, don't need to worry about his snap counts. He is a matchup nightmare, get him involved in both the run and the pass. Also, find ways to get Turpin involved in the offense. His skill set is very much like a young DJax.

-Defense starts about stopping the run and getting teams in passing situations. Bohanna reportedly has taken the next step and earned a starting position. Can Osa do the same in year 2 at the 3T? They probably have their best depth inside in a long while.

-This is the deepest DL rotation we have seen in year's. Our pass rush has potential to become elite, IF this defense can win the early downs. I believe we are going to see teams game plan to take Parsons out, which should allow the rest of the players to have big seasons with favorable matchups.

-Our linebacker unit has elite potential as well and could even get stronger as the season progresses. Lve came on late, the addition of Barr and then the two LSU prospects contributing at some point this season. Cox might take a couple weeks to get going, but he offers elite coverage abilities.

-Can Hooker return to form or is his body too broken down? Can Brown have a repeat performance? Will Lewis hold off Bland all season long? Can Diggs take the next step as a cover corner? Think the secondary will be fine, especially with a strong pass rush in front of them.

-I am very skeptical that Maher will be better for the 2nd time. Odds are we are still going to have PK troubles. I can care less about those 50 plus FG's, but care more about the extra points and kicks within makeable ranges.

Is this team a Super Bowl Contender? A lot of things would have to go right, especially the OL. I do believe they are a playoff contender and could be in that mix in the near future.
With you on Maher.

Unless it's like 4th and an acre, you're better off going for it than trying a long FG when you consider field position.

Rather have a guy whose max is 50 but more of a sure thing from close range.

Gotta say it again....I just can't BELIEVE Maher is our kicker. I can't.

Aven8

Reaction score
With you on Maher.

Unless it's like 4th and an acre, you're better off going for it than trying a long FG when you consider field position.

Very lazy wasn’t it? The kicker I mean

fredp22

Reaction score
as bad as you make McGovern sound Tyler couldnt beat him out and was rated back-up until Tyron went down. Its Tyler that I'm a little worried about. While we keep hearing encouraging messages you dont hear any complimenting. Actually except for Martin the whole line is a concern

Aven8

Reaction score
as bad as you make McGovern sound Tyler couldnt beat him out and was rated back-up until Tyron went down. Its Tyler that I'm a little worried about. While we keep hearing encouraging messages you dont hear any complimenting. Actually except for Martin the whole line is a concern

From what I saw in PS he didn’t beat Tyler out.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I would prefer to see Tyler at LG and Peters at LT.

They could run left all day long behind that power.

The power of Tyler would really help Biadasz.

McGovern's technique issues did look better this preseason but he is just a stopgap at LG.

Larry Allen played a season at LT but his dominance was best utilized inside.

Waletzko was impressive considering his draft status and playing though an injury in the preseason. He was already 315 when drafted and uber athletic. His technique was already better than Ball's technique. He was a bully at the small college level. He looked better in Senior Bowl 1 on 1 drills than Penning vs the same defensive players. Penning was surprisingly raw technique wise.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
With you on Maher.

It isn’t like we really downgraded. Zeurlein sucked.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not so sure one can say Malik Hooker's body is broken down.
He has been injured, so he really has not taken hits, or more like giving hits for his body to be broken down.

They did the correct thing last season how they brought him along, and how he played better for the plays he did get the more he got into games.

Now he will be starting.
Yes, we hope he stays healthy. But he has had a long time to completely heal, while getting playing time also.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

McGovern's technique issues did look better this preseason but he is just a stopgap at LG.

Waletzko was impressive considering his draft status and playing though an injury in the preseason. He was already 315 when drafted and uber athletic. His technique was already better than Ball's technique. He was a bully at the small college level. He looked better in Senior Bowl 1 on 1 drills than Penning vs the same defensive players. Penning was surprisingly raw technique wise.

I'm tend to agree on Tyler and Peters, but I guess we'll see since the Tyler-McGovern combo will have a chance to prove itself for at least a game or two. Frankly, I think we'll end up with Peters out there eventually because even those he's an old former All-Pro, that's still more than McGovern is ever likely to come close to being.

Aven8

Reaction score

I feel the same. I hope he can hold up for two weeks and they insert Peters at LT and he goes to Guard. That’s two big boys over on that side.

Having to start he and McGovern over there is going to be a trial by fire. Neither have very much experience. Scary

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Would not it be crazy if we lost a game because of a kick,
and that game was the difference between making the playoffs or not ?
The level of talent between us and the Eagles is paper thin... Just saying.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I think he didn’t commit as many penalties as CW, but didn’t help the run game at all and average at pass protect too, but better than CW ???

Creeper

Reaction score

Watching McGovern play last year and this preseason, I think he is better at RG than LG, but with Martin at RG, he has not chance to play there.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Good takes. I think we have a playoff team but I am not sure if we can beat a team with a quality coaching staff and quarterback in the playoffs.To me it is up to the offensive line to improve as the season goes on. The defense is at least two deep with average players at every position. We just need a front seven player outside of Parsons to be good and secondary player besides Diggs to be above average for our defense to be elite.