News: Agent's Take: Here are the Cowboys' options with Dak Prescott as his rookie deal nears end

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agent's Take: Here are the Cowboys' options with Dak Prescott as his rookie deal nears end
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...th-dak-prescott-as-his-rookie-deal-nears-end/

...Prescott's four-year rookie contract will expire after the 2019 season. He is scheduled to make approximately $2.05 million in 2019 thanks to earning the performance escalator available to third through seventh round picks in the final year of rookie contracts.

Signing the 2016 fourth-round pick to a contract extension may be a lot easier said than done. Nobody is going to confuse Prescott with the game's top young passers, such as Patrick Mahomes and Carson Wentz. One of the biggest criticisms about Prescott is he misses too many throws because of his inconsistent accuracy as a passer. Nonetheless, only Tom Brady, who is arguably the greatest football player of all-time, has more than Prescott's 32 regular-season wins since he entered the NFL in 2016. His 14 game-winning drives are the most in league history during a quarterback's first three NFL seasons. The Cowboys have won the NFC East twice in the three years with Prescott at quarterback...

...The QB market

There has been tremendous growth in quarterback salaries since Prescott was drafted. Ten quarterbacks were on multi-year contracts averaging at least $20 million per year at that time. There are currently 16. The $25 million per year quarterback didn't exist until Derek Carr signed a five-year, $125.025 million extension with the Raiders in June 2017. The $30-million-per-year barrier was hit this offseason when Matt Ryan received a five-year, $150 million extension from the Falcons. Ryan's deal contains NFL records of $100 million in overall guarantees and $94.5 million fully guaranteed at signing. Aaron Rodgers supplanted Ryan as the NFL's highest-paid player in the preseason with a four-year extension from the Packers averaging $33.5 million per year...

...Final thoughts

The patience Jones has exercised with Lawrence probably should apply to Prescott unless he is willing to give the Cowboys some sort of financial break. Rather than signing Lawrence to a long-term contract after a breakout 2017 campaign in which he was selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time while tying for second in the NFL with 14.5 sacks, Jones was more comfortable with him playing this season under a $17.143 million franchise tag. Since Lawrence demonstrated he is the "war daddy" pass rusher Jones has been looking after releasing future Hall of Famer DeMarcus Ware in 2014, it is going to cost significantly more to sign him long-term this year.

Jones doesn't seem inclined to wait, although the 2019 season could be used to evaluate whether Prescott is actually the long-term solution at quarterback since he could be franchised in 2020, if necessary. Just like in Lawrence's case, waiting would be more costly provided Prescott proves to be a potential franchise quarterback while building upon his performance during the second half of this season. The additional money would be well spent because it would come with more certainty about stability at quarterback.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What is the hurry. Let him play the 2019 season with a real OC and see if he is the real deal or not. I am not sure if he is more than just a bus driver or backup QB.

Slight problem with that...

silvrNblue

Reaction score
What is the hurry. Let him play the 2019 season with a real OC and see if he is the real deal or not. I am not sure if he is more than just a bus driver or backup QB.
Huge issue with dong that is, what IF Dak shines out this season and gets us back to the playoffs and say the NFCC. He then becomes a FA, not sure of all the language in the contract, but pretty sure he is then free to "test" the market. Dallas would then be locked into either matching or paying way more to keep him. If I am correc ton how it all works, that would pretty much screw us signing squat after wards. Better to sign him now, get him locked into a sweet deal, nothing elaborate mind you, as even as a fan who thinks this kid can be our next FQB, he still has yet to show consistency in his passing. That being said, I do believe his heart and love of playing secedes his accuracy issue.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Agent's Take: Here are the Cowboys' options with Dak Prescott as his rookie deal nears end
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...th-dak-prescott-as-his-rookie-deal-nears-end/

...Prescott's four-year rookie contract will expire after the 2019 season. He is scheduled to make approximately $2.05 million in 2019 thanks to earning the performance escalator available to third through seventh round picks in the final year of rookie contracts.

Signing the 2016 fourth-round pick to a contract extension may be a lot easier said than done. Nobody is going to confuse Prescott with the game's top young passers, such as Patrick Mahomes and Carson Wentz. One of the biggest criticisms about Prescott is he misses too many throws because of his inconsistent accuracy as a passer. Nonetheless, only Tom Brady, who is arguably the greatest football player of all-time, has more than Prescott's 32 regular-season wins since he entered the NFL in 2016. His 14 game-winning drives are the most in league history during a quarterback's first three NFL seasons. The Cowboys have won the NFC East twice in the three years with Prescott at quarterback...

...The QB market

There has been tremendous growth in quarterback salaries since Prescott was drafted. Ten quarterbacks were on multi-year contracts averaging at least $20 million per year at that time. There are currently 16. The $25 million per year quarterback didn't exist until Derek Carr signed a five-year, $125.025 million extension with the Raiders in June 2017. The $30-million-per-year barrier was hit this offseason when Matt Ryan received a five-year, $150 million extension from the Falcons. Ryan's deal contains NFL records of $100 million in overall guarantees and $94.5 million fully guaranteed at signing. Aaron Rodgers supplanted Ryan as the NFL's highest-paid player in the preseason with a four-year extension from the Packers averaging $33.5 million per year...

...Final thoughts

The patience Jones has exercised with Lawrence probably should apply to Prescott unless he is willing to give the Cowboys some sort of financial break. Rather than signing Lawrence to a long-term contract after a breakout 2017 campaign in which he was selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time while tying for second in the NFL with 14.5 sacks, Jones was more comfortable with him playing this season under a $17.143 million franchise tag. Since Lawrence demonstrated he is the "war daddy" pass rusher Jones has been looking after releasing future Hall of Famer DeMarcus Ware in 2014, it is going to cost significantly more to sign him long-term this year.

Jones doesn't seem inclined to wait, although the 2019 season could be used to evaluate whether Prescott is actually the long-term solution at quarterback since he could be franchised in 2020, if necessary. Just like in Lawrence's case, waiting would be more costly provided Prescott proves to be a potential franchise quarterback while building upon his performance during the second half of this season. The additional money would be well spent because it would come with more certainty about stability at quarterback.

Carson Wentz?? I had to stop there....:lmao::lmao2:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Huge issue with dong that is, what IF Dak shines out this season and gets us back to the playoffs and say the NFCC. He then becomes a FA, not sure of all the language in the contract, but pretty sure he is then free to "test" the market. Dallas would then be locked into either matching or paying way more to keep him. If I am correc ton how it all works, that would pretty much screw us signing squat after wards. Better to sign him now, get him locked into a sweet deal, nothing elaborate mind you, as even as a fan who thinks this kid can be our next FQB, he still has yet to show consistency in his passing. That being said, I do believe his heart and love of playing secedes his accuracy issue.

Dallas still has the option, even if a Lombardi is involved, to put a tag on him for up to two seasons...but wouldn't, most likely.
Carson Wentz?? I had to stop there....:lmao::lmao2:

With all the quoted stops, one wonders if any articles are actually read as to content, fully.:)

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Plus you have to add the factors that we have no one else and Jerry always overpays so I think it's $22-25 but it could be 25-28.
I think its a give that Dak will get from 25-30 mil. If Cousins is worth 28 mil guaranteed with teams out there willing to pay more then 25 mil should be the starting rate for JJ and SJ. If Daks representation is worth anything he will get more than that 25 mil starting price.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

He can be tagged by the Cowboys, at worst we would have a Kirk Cousins situation on our hands for a couple of more years after 2019

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will sign him soon. Before TC. It’s just a matter of how much. He likely already has a offer on the table.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We will sign him soon. Before TC. It’s just a matter of how much. He likely already has a offer on the table.
His agent might not be so quickly convinced. He has led the Cowboys twice to the head of the NFC East in three seasons.

Silly

Reaction score

Thank you for the explanation. However, there is also the possibility that Dak is hurt. Then you are on the hook for the contract.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Paying a QB is different than paying any other position, and it is a huge mistake to ever franchise a QB unless he's at the end of the line. Skins made that mistake.

You also can't worry about injuries...there's no way of getting around the risk. We only know that Dak has been very durable.

The only way I even consider not paying him is if we see a big name FA QB coming on the market or if we were sitting here with two #1 draft picks and a great QB coming out of college.

I see neither...pay the guy.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
He can be tagged by the Cowboys, at worst we would have a Kirk Cousins situation on our hands for a couple of more years after 2019
Yeah, it's not as if the team has zro option other then a big bank sucking contract...was just touching on the obvious, don't sign the bum, or wait it out on the bum post. He is going to be signed, fans can hooyaa all they want to, we don't own the team, nor write the checks or make personnel decisions.