Agree with Nate Newton "Wade needs to put best players on field"

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Nate was referring (this time) to Miles Austin.

But I think this applies to various positions.

Felix Jones early in season, needed more touches (put him back there with Barber and keep defense guessing). Particularly the reluctance to use him as kick returner.

Spencer should get reps over Ellis (starting to see it).

Henry should be relieved by Jenkins or Scandrick (Henry has been a step behind - put him against TE's or slower/bigger receivers).

If Flo is hurt, take him out a game. Holland should have gotten a bit more of a shot when Procter struggled.

I just feel the team has been too reluctant to let the guys showing something to get more reps. Not only does it let you play a hot hand, even if it's risky with a rookie/younger player, but it sends a message to guys that are coasting. Every spot is always up for grabs.

I'd like coaches to be less worried about the ego's and psyches of players, and take them off field for a play or two and put guys stepping up out there a bit!

I even feel that Zach Thomas shouldn't necessarily be taken out on 3rd downs, especially 3rd and long, because I think with his smarts and speed, he is better at preventing first down yardage. Plus, Thomas seems to be blocked out by guards a lot on 1st or 2nd down running plays. I admit to not knowing enough about defenses, but seems the reverse of how Thomas should be used if you ask me. We do need another playmaking middle linebacker though, as much as I like Thomas and am ok with James. I like Burnett as well, but he might be gone and his injuries hurt.

LarryCanadian

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2426430 said:
Nate was referring (this time) to Miles Austin.

But I think this applies to various positions.

Felix Jones early in season, needed more touches (put him back there with Barber and keep defense guessing). Particularly the reluctance to use him as kick returner.

Spencer should get reps over Ellis (starting to see it).

Henry should be relieved by Jenkins or Scandrick (Henry has been a step behind - put him against TE's or slower/bigger receivers).

If Flo is hurt, take him out a game. Holland should have gotten a bit more of a shot when Procter struggled.

I just feel the team has been too reluctant to let the guys showing something to get more reps. Not only does it let you play a hot hand, even if it's risky with a rookie/younger player, but it sends a message to guys that are coasting. Every spot is always up for grabs.

I'd like coaches to be less worried about the ego's and psyches of players, and take them off field for a play or two and put guys stepping up out there a bit!

I even feel that Zach Thomas shouldn't necessarily be taken out on 3rd downs, especially 3rd and long, because I think with his smarts and speed, he is better at preventing first down yardage. Plus, Thomas seems to be taken out a lot on 1st or 2nd down running plays. I admit to not knowing enough about defenses, but seems the reverse of how Thomas should be used if you ask me. We do need another playmaking middle linebacker though, as much as I like Thomas and am ok with James. I like Burnett as well, but he might be gone and his injuries hurt.

LarryCanadian

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

dware94

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2426430 said:
I even feel that Zach Thomas shouldn't necessarily be taken out on 3rd downs, especially 3rd and long, because I think with his smarts and speed, he is better at preventing first down yardage. Plus, Thomas seems to be blocked out by guards a lot on 1st or 2nd down running plays. I admit to not knowing enough about defenses, but seems the reverse of how Thomas should be used if you ask me. We do need another playmaking middle linebacker though, as much as I like Thomas and am ok with James. I like Burnett as well, but he might be gone and his injuries hurt.

LarryCanadian

Zach would definately be an upgrade over James in pass coverage.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think players have to earn the playing time. I like Spencer but he has yet to do much he has 0 sacks. Jenkins or Scandrick are developing and starting to come along so Henry very well could end up losing his starting job. But you don't hand jobs to players they have to earn it. Austin has been with us for a while now and is coming into his own and has earned the playing time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2426492 said:
I think players have to earn the playing time. I like Spencer but he has yet to do much he has 0 sacks. Jenkins or Scandrick are developing and starting to come along so Henry very well could end up losing his starting job. But you don't hand jobs to players they have to earn it. Austin has been with us for a while now and is coming into his own and has earned the playing time.

Conversely, when was the last time Greg Ellis sniffed an opposing QB? Not in the last month and unlike the recently-returned Spencer, he's played every game.

I don't think anyone's looking to 'hand' someone anything.

But it's obvious that guys like Henry and Ellis aren't playing well.

That should open up their 'spots' for competition - and in Henry's case, the young guys are playing better than he is.

Every team should have healthy competition with players fighting for starting jobs.

I think it keeps young players hungry and motivated while keeping pressure on established players to play their best.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Did Nate actually watch Free against 3rd and 4th stringers in the preseason. So Nate knows for a fact that Free is better than Flozell ... based on what exactly?

And people were yelling at Wade to play Spencer over Ellis in games Spencer was inactive. Not exactly rocket scientists we're talking about here.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think every LB on the roster would be an upgrade over Bradie James on third down.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
There was that one series where we kept celebrating good plays (tackles for losses, sacks, passes knocked down, and really quick tackles against wide-receivers after catch. And then we'd go and give up really really weak 3rd down plays (there were like 4 or 5). It was killing me. You need faster guys in there, and clog the dang middle on 3rd and 5 and longer. Nope, we got our slower guys in there and a HOLE with a 20 yard diameter up the middle. Duh?

I just think they have it reversed sometimes as to which players should be in there on which downs. And it seems stubborn as oppossed to flexible!

I'd think Thomas and Burnett would be in middle on 3 rd and long, always, where you'd play bigger/tougher James in 1st and 2nd downs.

We do need to protect Zach Thomas better. To expect him at 230 pounds to fend off guards is stupid. We lack that massive NT. Zach really isn't a 3-4 backer at all, but if used right is still very effective.

LarryCanadian

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2426571 said:
We do need to protect Zach Thomas better. To expect him at 230 pounds to fend off guards is stupid. We lack that massive NT. Zach really isn't a 3-4 backer at all, but if used right is still very effective.

LarryCanadian

That is the reason he doesn't fit our D that well. If we had a space eater, guards couldn't easily be released to the 2nd level and engulf Thomas. To his credit, he does well in spite of all that he has going against him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Zach has his own problems. And Spencer is sitting more than most would like because his game is not complete. He needs to be able to recognize more. Better hold Ellis's funeral for awhile.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;2426517 said:
Conversely, when was the last time Greg Ellis sniffed an opposing QB? Not in the last month and unlike the recently-returned Spencer, he's played every game.

I don't think anyone's looking to 'hand' someone anything.

But it's obvious that guys like Henry and Ellis aren't playing well.

That should open up their 'spots' for competition - and in Henry's case, the young guys are playing better than he is.

Every team should have healthy competition with players fighting for starting jobs.

I think it keeps young players hungry and motivated while keeping pressure on established players to play their best.

I have nothing against Spencer but he is not lighting it up some of you guys act like he is Ware part 2 and I don't see it as of yet. If he can take the job from Ellis great this is not about Ellis it is about putting the best player out there and until Spencer can show the coaches he is ready to carry most of the load he will continue to share snaps. I do agree with you on the CB they are starting to come along and could be making a strong push to take the job. I have nothing against competition and players should have to fight for the job but unless you are at practice how you do know that these guys are ready to take over?

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I thought Tank would do more in middle there. Is it just me or do our front 3 players fall down more than any other team's Defensive Line. They are constantly on the ground or off balance. They need some coaching/drilling there. Many of tackles they make are from ground too. They get pushed around a bit for a big group. They look the part, but maybe don't have those low centres of gravity needed. Mind you, Tank has that, and he hasn't looked particularly effective clogging that middle. I don't think he's a 3-4 DT either. And Raitliff gets by and makes plays on motor, agility, and speed, he's no space eater and it's not fair to expect him to be (sheesh, he's actually quite a bit bigger than he was when we got him).

We miss Ferguson although he was coming off major injury and is getting long in tooth.

LarryCanadian

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2426584 said:
I have nothing against Spencer but he is not lighting it up some of you guys act like he is Ware part 2 and I don't see it as of yet. If he can take the job from Ellis great this is not about Ellis it is about putting the best player out there and until Spencer can show the coaches he is ready to carry most of the load he will continue to share snaps. I do agree with you on the CB they are starting to come along and could be making a strong push to take the job. I have nothing against competition and players should have to fight for the job but unless you are at practice how you do know that these guys are ready to take over?

I'll agree that the Ellis/Spencer competition is closer than the CB battle.

After all 0 sacks = 0 sacks.

I think Spencer is playing better, but he'll have to put up the numbers to show it.

As for Henry, anyone watching the games can see that he's a liability. Either because of age or injury.

Regardless, there are younger players who are playing better than he is and who should be out there.

Not just for the 4th quarter but for the 1st quarter too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread just devastated the 'just keep our best players on the bench' crowd. You know who you are.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;2426644 said:
I'll agree that the Ellis/Spencer competition is closer than the CB battle.

After all 0 sacks = 0 sacks.

I think Spencer is playing better, but he'll have to put up the numbers to show it.

As for Henry, anyone watching the games can see that he's a liability. Either because of age or injury.

Regardless, there are younger players who are playing better than he is and who should be out there.

Not just for the 4th quarter but for the 1st quarter too.

I pull for all of our guys so if one member comes in and shows he should be the starter or should have more playing time much like Miles has done then great. I have no agenda with one player over another I expect guys who are on the field to contribute and make plays.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2426652 said:
I pull for all of our guys so if one member comes in and shows he should be the starter or should have more playing time much like Miles has done then great. I have no agenda with one player over another I expect guys who are on the field to contribute and make plays.

As do I.

But when they're not - get the hook.

I personally don't think that Ellis or Henry are getting the job done, therefore I'd like to see a younger player get their chance.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
stasheroo;2426659 said:
As do I.

I personally don't think that Ellis or Henry are getting the job done, therefore I'd like to see a younger player get their chance.

Spencer is making too many mistakes. He needs to gain experience. There is no conspiracy to keep Ellis on the field over a better Spencer. Spencer is just not a complete ballplayer yet.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;2426659 said:
As do I.

Ellis and Henry are dependable, Henry was not getting beat right and left last night nor was Ellis. They went out and did their jobs. Dallas held the Skins to fewer than 100 yards rushing as a team and not much in the passing game either. Neither one of us are at practice and seeing mistake or how the younger guys are coming along. I have noticed in the games that Jenkins has done some good things and Scandrick and both are getting ample playing time. Spencer is as well and to increase min you need to go out and take it not have it handed to you.