agressive defense

joseephuss

Reaction score
Sal Paolantonio was on ESPN radio with Colin Cowherd. He brought up an interesting stat about the Chicago Bears' defense. They have blitzed 96 times this season, which leads the league. I know a lot of complaints about the Cowboys is they are not aggressive enough. Blitzing 96 times through 5 games(19.2 per game) is very aggressive. Sal also said that Chicago has sacked the QB 4 times on those 96 blitzes. He did not say how many times they pressured or rushed the QB, but 4 sacks is not that much. It was the lowest percentage of sacks per blitz in the NFL.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
joseephuss;2323608 said:
Sal Paolantonio was on ESPN radio with Colin Cowherd. He brought up an interesting stat about the Chicago Bears' defense. They have blitzed 96 times this season, which leads the league. I know a lot of complaints about the Cowboys is they are not aggressive enough. Blitzing 96 times through 5 games(19.2 per game) is very aggressive. Sal also said that Chicago has sacked the QB 4 times on those 96 blitzes. He did not say how many times they pressured or rushed the QB, but 4 sacks is not that much. It was the lowest percentage of sacks per blitz in the NFL.
Wow! If you're blitzing that much and not getting to the QB, or at least pressuring them, wow.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;2323608 said:

How many times were big plays made on them while blitzing. How many incompletions, INT's. If a run blitz, tackled for a loss, or long runs. That's what we need to know also. If you blitz and it causes an incomplete pass. To me that is successful.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jazzcat22;2323635 said:
How many times were big plays made on them while blitzing. How many incompletions, INT's. If a run blitz, tackled for a loss, or long runs. That's what we need to know also. If you blitz and it causes an incomplete pass. To me that is successful.

I agree. There is more information needed to determine if their blitz schemes are being truly effective. Still you would expect more than just 4 sacks with that many blitzes.

superpunk

Reaction score
Tough to argue with results.

They are the 8th ranked defense in yardage allowed, and this despite facing more pass attempts than all but a handful of teams.

They're allowing the 4th best QB rating in the NFL.

And according to ESPN they've got 12 sacks, so...not sure... (Edit: I see the other 8 must have come on plays where they did not blitz.)

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2323608 said:

It's not just blitzing but being effective while blitzing. If we blitzed that much I'm pretty sure we would have twice as many sacks a we do now.

playmakers

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2323853 said:
It's not just blitzing but being effective while blitzing. If we blitzed that much I'm pretty sure we would have twice as many sacks a we do now.

We rush with 5 players alot and I think this brings our blitz numbers up. Teams like Philly overload one side and someone comes free. We, on the other hand, seem to blitz from every gap and its easy for the olines to pick us up.