Aikman was average: regular season - 141 int's to 165 td's

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Considering the differences in the rules and style of the game that Aikman played with, nobody can make a realistic comparison and expect to be taken seriously. When Dak wins three Super Bowls, we can talk, but there is nothing to be said at this point.

Give Dak the stacked defenses Aikman played with. Again, what did Aikman's and his teams do after 1995 without a stacked defense?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Aikman ranking for passer rating:
Year 1: 27th
Year 2: 26th
Year 3: 6th
Year 4: 3rd
Year 5: 2nd
Year 6: 6th
Year 7: 3rd
Year 8: 12th
Year 9: 17th

Dak ranking for passer rating:
Year 1: 3rd
Year 2: 18th
Year 3: 14th
Year 4: 10th
Year 5: 10th

Take from it what you want. Personally, I think the QB position is somewhat overrated to start with but with the incredible influx of talent at the QB position combined with the rules changes, I think its pretty easy to find a QB who can put up good numbers with a great team around them. Its much easier to find a QB than build a team and paying that QB $40m per year makes it significantly harder.

The above data fits that. When Dak and Troy had good teams around them, they were among the top QB's in the game. When they didn't, they weren't.

Bizwah

Reaction score
No. I included those years in my thinking. That 1995 Super Bowl winning team was the first and only team for the Cowboys during the salary capped era. By then, the team had already started losing key starters from the previous 2 Super Bowls like Norton, Jr, Gogan, Stepnoski, etc. The years following after that 1995 season, much of the talent from the Super Bowl winning seasons had left, and that marked the end of the Aikman prowess.

FACT.
NNNNNNN.....not sure.

Remember, in 1996 we had lost a ton of talent. Not just a bit. Jerry had the stupid notion that the Triplets were worth 10 wins on their own. That offseason was a mess. The team was in shambles and we had a head coach that simply was a place holder. Irvin was suspended for six games, Lett was suspended for 8, Deion was supposed to be our number one WR with Irvin out.

Deion-freaking-Sanders....our number one WR.

Jerry's hubris was what did those teams in. Aikman still had the ability to lead us to a championship.

I don't think Brett Favre could've led the team to many more wins.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Give Dak the stacked defenses Aikman played with. Again, what did Aikman's and his teams do after 1995 without a stacked defense?

Aikman won a ring after 1995. Super bowl 30 was played in 1996, or have you forgotten?

Stop trying to trash a hall of fame QB in an attempt to say your guy is soooooo much better. It makes you look foolish, especially if you weren't alive to see those teams play.

MikeB80

Reaction score
No. I included those years in my thinking. That 1995 Super Bowl winning team was the first and only team for the Cowboys during the salary capped era. By then, the team had already started losing key starters from the previous 2 Super Bowls like Norton, Jr, Gogan, Stepnoski, etc. The years following after that 1995 season, much of the talent from the Super Bowl winning seasons had left, and that marked the end of the Aikman prowess.

FACT.

except the 89 and 90 teams were not loaded with the best talent money can buy. they were a young organization being molded into a winner and in doing so took their lumps every week for almost two years. Until that rams game when they were 3-7 and Aikman had the breakout game leading to a 7-7 record before he was hurt and missed the final two weeks.

After the 91 and 92 drafts if you want to say they were one of the most talented teams I agree. from 91-96 nobody was more talented. in 89 and 90 most teams were more talented. Dallas had to completely rebuild their defense and they did it through picks, trades and free agency. Even in 91 the defense lacked the top end talent they needed to win a championship.

not to mention the offensive players did not like their coordinator and Aikman and Jimmy did not like each other.

your whole bit about the salary cap tearing the team apart and aikman not being good because of it is a half truth. Aikman was always great. The organization was not. Once jimmy left all the discipline left. Then the depth was gone because the drafts were not as good. Then the final blow top line players leaving for other teams like norton, harper, marion, step. etc.....the organization was struggling at this point. Aikman was always good.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Using the SAME standards Dak haters use.

Have you considered the changes in the game between the two era's? First the physical play between CB & WR's caused smaller throwing windows.

Not to mention the QB was fresh meat compared to today's powder puff play. Watch some of the beatings Aikman withstood against the Eagles alone. QB play was tough and Aikman stood tall I'm the pocket and delivered strikes while taking huge hits.

NFL still allowed defense to hit and play back then, so stats are meaningless now.

RS12

Reaction score
Is the point of this thread to bash our own 3x Super Bowl champion and hall of fame quarterback in order to elevate Dak? I’m so confused.
How can something be so sad and hilarious at the same time.

Redline360

Reaction score
LoL at anyone who agrees with this logic. Just delete your account

Completely different era. You could maul the recievers and the quarterbacks. 300+ passing games and 40 attempts were rare occurrence

You could actually play hard hitting football

Pre nfl salary cap etc etc

Why you will see records continue to be broken at alarming rates in the next couple years. Today's defense is turning into the NBA 2.0

75boyz

Reaction score
Aikman won a ring after 1995. Super bowl 30 was played in 1996, or have you forgotten?

Stop trying to trash a hall of fame QB in an attempt to say your guy is soooooo much better. It makes you look foolish, especially if you weren't alive to see those teams play.

I have always struggled with a lot of the younger poster's opinions because I hafta take into consideration what their base reference point for the team is or their foundational learning environment was for this team they grew up on.

If their fanhood began post '96 I hafto take into account the lack of experiencing team success and contextually try to relate on a more fantasy footballspeak level as opposed to when the team had direction, talent and coaching as in the 70s and 90s.

Sometimes it's a real struggle to relate to be honest because they don't even know what a true Cowboys team contender looks like.

Oh well,

Go JonesBoys, err DakBoys...okay, okay Hot Boyz then, lol

I mean Cowboys :)

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
except the 89 and 90 teams were not loaded with the best talent money can buy. they were a young organization being molded into a winner and in doing so took their lumps every week for almost two years. Until that rams game when they were 3-7 and Aikman had the breakout game leading to a 7-7 record before he was hurt and missed the final two weeks.

After the 91 and 92 drafts if you want to say they were one of the most talented teams I agree. from 91-96 nobody was more talented. in 89 and 90 most teams were more talented. Dallas had to completely rebuild their defense and they did it through picks, trades and free agency. Even in 91 the defense lacked the top end talent they needed to win a championship.

not to mention the offensive players did not like their coordinator and Aikman and Jimmy did not like each other.

your whole bit about the salary cap tearing the team apart and aikman not being good because of it is a half truth. Aikman was always great. The organization was not. Once jimmy left all the discipline left. Then the depth was gone because the drafts were not as good. Then the final blow top line players leaving for other teams like norton, harper, marion, step. etc.....the organization was struggling at this point. Aikman was always good.
First you say Aikman was great.

Then you end up saying Aikman was good.

Which was he? Great or Good?

A Great QB is one that can not only carry a team but also build up the players around him. Aikman was not able to do that after their last Super Bowl year (1995). This proves Aikman was Good but not Great.

MikeB80

Reaction score
First you say Aikman was great.

Then you end up saying Aikman was good.

Which was he? Great or Good?

A Great QB is one that can not only carry a team but also build up the players around him. Aikman was not able to do that after their last Super Bowl year (1995). This proves Aikman was Good but not Great.

he was great. The organization was not. Go watch the 98 and 99 playoffs. Aikman was still a great player but the organization had slipped. He had almost no weapons in the passing game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
NNNNNNN.....not sure.

Remember, in 1996 we had lost a ton of talent. Not just a bit. Jerry had the stupid notion that the Triplets were worth 10 wins on their own. That offseason was a mess. The team was in shambles and we had a head coach that simply was a place holder. Irvin was suspended for six games, Lett was suspended for 8, Deion was supposed to be our number one WR with Irvin out.

Deion-freaking-Sanders....our number one WR.

Jerry's hubris was what did those teams in. Aikman still had the ability to lead us to a championship.

I don't think Brett Favre could've led the team to many more wins.
I hear you, but the Dak haters are constantly bashing Dak and labeling him a QB who can not carry a team. Clearly, Aikman proved that 1996 season he could not carry the team either, yet that is not held against him. A double standard exists around here.