Video: Akoye is a big fan of Tony Pollard

Mr_437

Reaction score
Tony Pollard is one the offensive guys I wanted this team to draft, two others they got was Weber n Jon'Vea.

I agree w/ Okoye that Pollard can add a dimension to the offense that opens things up for others in the way other teams use these space backs. In addition, I think Olawale can stress LBs too in the passing game, as an H-Back type.

Not overhyping the youngster, but I'd like for the staff to protect him during preseason games and play more Weber, Chunn n Jackson so they can battle it out for that last spot.

links18

Reaction score
I've seen examples of Olawale being capable of much more than anything Linehan and the Cowboys ever did with him. In fact, there's virtually the exact same play as the one he dropped in the end zone. He made the catch on a similarly underthrown pass for Oakland.

There's untapped potential in him too, and I have to think the team agreed when they re-signed him.

Sounds like not enough balls to go around.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I hope you're right, but I've heard chatter like this time and time again and the results have never lived up to the huge. You can go back to the drafting if Fasano and the two TE offense that never materialized for years, to Lance Dunbar being the next big thing gadget guy, to the talk of Tavon Austin and the "20 touches" that Stephen Jones talked about that never came close to happening.

I've reached the point of "show me, don't tell me".

Yup. The team likes the idea of those gadget players, but when push comes to shove, the only guys who get involved are the 3 wide base set.

The only guy we used creatively last year, bizarrely enough, was Noah Brown. Linehan couldn't get himself enough of that 220 pound H-back action.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Wasn't even the best back on his team at Memphis but now he's more valuable than Zeke. Right.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like not enough balls to go around.

A problem you always hope the offense would have.

I look at this offense and their players and can't hope but to feel that a good coordinator could put a top offense on the field. Linehan clearly wasn't that guy, but hopefully Moore can be.

The talent is there.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We just had a lot of chitchat on Pollard in a thread. So here's AKOYE Media's breakdown of Pollard. He has very high expectations.

Tony Pollard is one the offensive guys I wanted this team to draft, two others they got was Weber n Jon'Vea.

I agree w/ Okoye that Pollard can add a dimension to the offense that opens things up for others in the way other teams use these space backs. In addition, I think Olawale can stress LBs too in the passing game, as an H-Back type.

Not overhyping the youngster, but I'd like for the staff to protect him during preseason games and play more Weber, Chunn n Jackson so they can battle it out for that last spot.

Wow, I really enjoyed that nice video on Tony Pollard. I can see now why the complimentary comments were made about how he resembles Alvin Kamara. The way he accelerates while making such nifty moves is a valuable ability for any RB to have. I think he stands a great chance to make an excellent complementary back for Zeke. Also, for the team to have a valuable receiver out of the backfield as well.

Another thing that intrigues be about Pollard was the fact that he has been extremely complimentary of Kellen Moore. The fact that he saw fit to do so, even as a rookie, speaks volumes to me that he apparently sees an opportunity for himself to be utilized generously with Moore calling the plays. I believe he "saw the writing on the wall" from the start, that Moore plans on utilizing him in a variety of ways that should allow him to participate quite actively on game day.

Of course, that is admittedly speculation, at least to some extent on my part, although, I think Moore is surely intelligent enough to know a good thing when he sees it in practice. Pollard is likely also smart enough to see a golden opportunity knocking at the door. I'll be anxious to see him in the preseason and beyond -- suffice it to say, you probably should be too! :)

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Wow, I really enjoyed that nice video on Tony Pollard. I can see now why the complimentary comments were made about how he resembles Alvin Kamara. The way he accelerates while making such nifty moves is a valuable ability for any RB to have. I think he stands a great chance to make an excellent complementary back for Zeke. Also, for the team to have a valuable receiver out of the backfield as well.

Another thing that intrigues be about Pollard was the fact that he has been extremely complimentary of Kellen Moore. The fact that he saw fit to do so, even as a rookie, speaks volumes to me that he apparently sees an opportunity for himself to be utilized generously with Moore calling the plays. I believe he "saw the writing on the wall" from the start, that Moore plans on utilizing him in a variety of ways that should allow him to participate quite actively on game day.

Of course, that is admittedly speculation, at least to some extent on my part, although, I think Moore is surely intelligent enough to know a good thing when he sees it in practice. Pollard is likely also smart enough to see a golden opportunity knocking at the door. I'll be anxious to see him in the preseason and beyond -- suffice it to say, you probably should be too! :)
I think Pollard mentioned Moore already had a plan on how to use him or his role...in one of the interviews post draft.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Another thing that intrigues be about Pollard was the fact that he has been extremely complimentary of Kellen Moore. The fact that he saw fit to do so, even as a rookie, speaks volumes to me that he apparently sees an opportunity for himself to be utilized generously with Moore calling the plays.

Somewhere I saw Stephen talking about Pollard getting 10-20 touches a game. That's huge.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We just had a lot of chitchat on Pollard in a thread. So here's AKOYE Media's breakdown of Pollard. He has very high expectations.

Gotta admit the guy looks great. EXACTLY what you would want in an all around all purpose threat.

My only reservation is that Garrett has NEVER been able to utilize a guy like this properly. Dunbar, Austin, yada yada yada. It took the clapping clown 3 years to utilize Zeke properly in the passing game.

Hopefully this will all change with Moore. Maybe this is the year that Garrett is finally fully removed from the offense.

I mean...…..…..you add Pollard used properly with the other weapons we have on this offense and it could be off the chain.

AGAIN...….....with Garrett our of the way and the right OC calling the offense.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He is wrong about Pollard's weight:

Pollard
HT 6-0
WT 210
40-YD 4.38

20-YD 2.55
10-YD 1.53
VJ 36-1/2
BJ 10’05”
SS 4.37
3C 7
BP 18

Kamara
HT 5-10
WT 214
40-YD 4.53

20-YD 2.61
10-YD 1.55
VJ 39 1/2
BJ 10’11”
SS
3C
BP 15
The more I look at Pollard, the more I am convinced that Jerry and Stephen landed a true blue chip, a diamond in the rough, in the latter rounds.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How many did they say Tavon Austin would get?

Good point. I don't recall specifics. He was talked up a lot, but not to the same extent as Pollard.

It's my conclusion that both Austin and Olawale were intended to get more by management than they got from Linehan.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Pollard is a rookie. He needs the snaps.

Weber, Chunn, and Jackson are battling it out for the PS. We're not using a roster spot on a backup to Zeke beyond Pollard and Olawale.

kento40

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Pollard but the guy doing the video said that Pollard is more valuable than Zeke...
You're not valuable if you keep getting suspended. If Zeke can't keep out of the commissioner's cross hairs, he not of much use to the Boys.