News: Albert Breer on Jaylon Smith

tunahelper

Reaction score
This might be old I don’t recall seeing it on the forum so I’ll post. Interesting blip I saw on an older Albert Breer mailbag about Jaylon and his future here. Hoping it’s true.

“A well-established fact within the walls of the Cowboys’ facility: LB Jaylon Smith hasn’t played up to his contract over the last year and a half. In fact, I know people there have been alarmed how often he’s at the heart of big plays made against the Dallas defense. I believe he’s got a pretty important couple months ahead, and it wouldn’t shock me if he’s gone after the year, regardless of who’s running the defense.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/10/26/maqb-anthony-lynn-justin-herbert-starter-job

Now that is some clear eye view.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
“A well-established fact within the walls of the Cowboys’ facility: LB Jaylon Smith hasn’t played up to his contract over the last year and a half.

Screen-Shot-2017-11-29-at-10.31.00-AM-1.png

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This might be old I don’t recall seeing it on the forum so I’ll post. Interesting blip I saw on an older Albert Breer mailbag about Jaylon and his future here. Hoping it’s true.

“A well-established fact within the walls of the Cowboys’ facility: LB Jaylon Smith hasn’t played up to his contract over the last year and a half. In fact, I know people there have been alarmed how often he’s at the heart of big plays made against the Dallas defense. I believe he’s got a pretty important couple months ahead, and it wouldn’t shock me if he’s gone after the year, regardless of who’s running the defense.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/10/26/maqb-anthony-lynn-justin-herbert-starter-job

I appreciate the fact Breer specifies “over the last year and a half” because there are people that think Jaylon’s poor play just suddenly happened this season.

He was baaaad in 2019.

visionary

Reaction score
Could happen. One of the best comparison for Parsons I've seen is that he is what Jaylon would have been without the injury.

The only issue I have is that we'd have two really good LB's(assuming LVE is healthy), two or three really good Edge players, one good CB, and then subpar DT and Safety play. No matter who we draft in the 1st, we need to hit on 2 or 3 defensive starters in the upcoming draft and free agency.

this
To have a dominant defense you must have great DT and safety play
People on this board and the idiots runnttge Cowboys just don’t understand this simoke concept

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Parsons is way over-rated.
Drafting Parsons in the top 5 would be the defensive equivalent of drafting Zeke in 2016 without having the line to protect him. Weak side linebackers can be found later in the draft. Let’s pick the generational talent in Sewell and have the best offensive line in football again.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Pass on Parsons anywhere in the Top 10 overall picks.

Ohio State's LB Baron Browning looks just as good and can be had early in the 2nd round...if he makes it that far.

He’s gonna get flagged multiple times for picking dudes up and slamming them. No-no.

lkelly

Reaction score
Parsons is a great athlete but he is inexperienced as a LB. he played DE in high school (and RB). He showed some flashes as a soph then opted out this year. All those reps that would have helped him learn the spot we’re missed. Who knows what he’s been doing for the last few months? Flying around with LaVar and Bowman? Is he in shape? Probably not getting the film study in to continue to learn how to play LB. seems like a real risk as a top 10 pick.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Seeing is believing, everything I have seen out of the Dallas Cowboys front office is that they don’t get rid of players for mailing it in.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’ve got zero issues taking Sewell or Parsons if we’re in the Top 5 and can’t find a suitable offer to trade down.

Dane Bruglar is one of the few draftniks whose opinion I put any stock in says Parsons is one of the Top 5 guys he’s evaluated for 2021 and the clear #1 LB prospect.

More on Parsons from Bruglar:

“You wish you had another year of tape to really see his development and see how much better he could get. But even without that, we know Micah Parsons is a big-time athlete with a ton of potential. He’s going to go somewhere in the top 10. His ability to be a ball-hunter, you love it. The vision, the agility — it’s exceptional. The range — exceptional. His reaction to movement is terrific. I really think he can be a cornerstone defender, three-down linebacker for your defense. That’s why he’s viewed as a top-10 pick.”

Would I prefer a quality DT or DE over linebacker? Sure. But who is that prospect?

This defense needs an influx of talent....period.

LB was a slept on need heading into 2020, even more so heading out of it.

I’m still a believer in LVE but his neck/long term health will always be in question.

Jaylon Smith is a complete liability.

Sean Lee will be yet another year older (likely retired).

Are we holding our breath for Luke Gifford aka linebacking Justin Beriault?

Last edited: