News: Albert Breer on Jaylon Smith

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just not gonna a happen. If we have chance for field or Lawrence we are going for it.

LOL........you mean you hope we are. I would love to have a shot at those two guys, but for the trade value, not because I want to draft them. But I could also be talked into trading Dak and taking one of those guys as well. You would probably get more value, trading the pick.

cowboygo

Reaction score
I’ve got zero issues taking Sewell or Parsons if we’re in the Top 5 and can’t find a suitable offer to trade down.

Dane Bruglar is one of the few draftniks whose opinion I put any stock in says Parsons is one of the Top 5 guys he’s evaluated for 2021 and the clear #1 LB prospect.

More on Parsons from Bruglar:

“You wish you had another year of tape to really see his development and see how much better he could get. But even without that, we know Micah Parsons is a big-time athlete with a ton of potential. He’s going to go somewhere in the top 10. His ability to be a ball-hunter, you love it. The vision, the agility — it’s exceptional. The range — exceptional. His reaction to movement is terrific. I really think he can be a cornerstone defender, three-down linebacker for your defense. That’s why he’s viewed as a top-10 pick.”

Would I prefer a quality DT or DE over linebacker? Sure. But who is that prospect?

This defense needs an influx of talent....period.

LB was a slept on need heading into 2020, even more so heading out of it.

I’m still a believer in LVE but his neck/long term health will always be in question.

Jaylon Smith is a complete liability.

Sean Lee will be yet another year older (likely retired).

Are we holding our breath for Luke Gifford aka linebacking Justin Beriault?
influx of talent on defense. PERIOD. agree.

in the 2nd round, get someone else on the defensive side. Parsons looks like a generational player. He could even play as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He is very versatile and an excellent pass-rusher. Sign me up for generational talents.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Yeah, then he signs elsewhere and turns into a Pro Bowler/Hall of Famer. Wait, where I have read this book before?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The NFL has changed so much since 2018. I would tell Jaylon to bulk up work on his pass rush moves and make him a pass rush linebacker/end. Keep him out of coverage. Then let him go next offseason. I know it sounds crazy but I would have Gregory and Jaylon manning the right side end position and I would let Aldon go.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The NFL has changed so much since 2018. I would tell Jaylon to bulk up work on his pass rush moves and make him a pass rush linebacker/end. Keep him out of coverage. Then let him go next offseason. I know it sounds crazy but I would have Gregory and Jaylon manning the right side end position and I would let Aldon go.

If we resigned Aldon I’d actually have him slim down 12-15 lbs. While I’m sure it’s good weight he doesn’t look to be carrying that extra bulk well as he’s noticeably slow.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Jerry's not gonna cut him so soon. When has Jerry ever cut bait on a big contract after 2 seasons?

At absolute best, he'll be relegated to the bench because it's cap neutral and still gives Jerry a prayer. At absolute worst, Jerry's banking on a comeback just like he banked on him in the first place and he continues to suck.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Lol. No, I'm not Jeff Cavenaugh. I'm glad he agrees though.

Cavanaugh and Voch Lombardi are both cold on Parsons. They were in agreement that he plays Jaylon Smith style "Hero Ball" and would end up being the same player despite his admitted freakish athleticism.

I haven't seen the tape they have but they both watched a lot and that's their opinion. Just putting it out there.

I'm actually in agreement with them both overall. If you Pick 3-9 either trade back or it's Sewell. Anything else isn't worth the shot for what Dallas can use.

Man for Derrick Brown to have been in this draft.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If we resigned Aldon I’d actually have him slim down 12-15 lbs. While I’m sure it’s good weight he doesn’t look to be carrying that extra bulk well as he’s noticeably slow.
I just wouldn’t pay 30 year old troubled players. Good player and has played well but we can put his money at other positions of needs.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Let me spell this out for those who can't comprehened my sarcasm...."wouldn't it be ironic if a Cowboys player who has failed during his tenure here go on to play for a well coaches team, and turn into a pro bowler? Is that better?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cavanaugh and Voch Lombardi are both cold on Parsons. They were in agreement that he plays Jaylon Smith style "Hero Ball" and would end up being the same player despite his admitted freakish athleticism.

I haven't seen the tape they have but they both watched a lot and that's their opinion. Just putting it out there.

I'm actually in agreement with them both overall. If you Pick 3-9 either trade back or it's Sewell. Anything else isn't worth the shot for what Dallas can use.

Man for Derrick Brown to have been in this draft.
Totally agree.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Book it.....

5e07a8ba0b647.image.jpg

Yes please...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could happen. One of the best comparison for Parsons I've seen is that he is what Jaylon would have been without the injury.

The only issue I have is that we'd have two really good LB's(assuming LVE is healthy), two or three really good Edge players, one good CB, and then subpar DT and Safety play. No matter who we draft in the 1st, we need to hit on 2 or 3 defensive starters in the upcoming draft and free agency.

Jaylon's issues are between the ears.

He has good enough physical ability at this point if he was smarter.

Jaylon's current body with Sean Lee^s brain would be an All Pro.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Drafting Parsons in the top 5 would be the defensive equivalent of drafting Zeke in 2016 without having the line to protect him. Weak side linebackers can be found later in the draft. Let’s pick the generational talent in Sewell and have the best offensive line in football again.
I don’t think you can pass on Sewell if he is available. I know we need defense but Smith and Collins coming off injuries.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I agree whole heartily on making Jaylon a pure pass rusher. Don't know if he even needs to bulk up much. This way he doesn't need to think or process what needs to be done outside of getting to and pursuing the QB. I could see him as a Dwight Freeney or Von Miller type of pass rusher if that was his job 95% of the time, maybe even with a hand on the ground.

This would even save JJs ego if he were to be successful and actually make his contract more appealing.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I swear @jwooten15 made this thread yesterday and it either got deleted or moved.
Yeah, some of the rules here don’t make a ton of rational sense. Sometimes check marks beside names (or lack of check marks) don’t make the topic any less true/valid. I got benched over it :laugh:

I understand the need to not post truly wild rumors or speculation. But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist or “official NFL insider” to recognize how badly Jaylon has played and that the Cowboys might seek alternative options