Albert Okwuegbunam, TE Missouri

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What are your thought in this player.

Im a bit torn on him. The talent level is exceptional, and he is a very productive reciever. He has the body to be a +blocker, but will he ever be? In this offense you are going to have to block well at the TE position

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know his position coach, who swears by him.

When I watch him, he looks like he is heavier than he should be. Not explosive (maybe the extra weight?) and needs to get better as a blocker.

Still, he flashes at times.
I wouldnt be against him if we spent a high pick on, Id like more all around play from a high round TE. But ultimately he has the physique to be a good blocker. You would probably still see Shultz in run downs early though

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What are your thought in this player.

Im a bit torn on him. The talent level is exceptional, and he is a very productive reciever. He has the body to be a +blocker, but will he ever be? In this offense you are going to have to block well at the TE position

I like him quite a bit. I wanted to draft him last year and was disappointed to hear he was staying in school. He's an athlete.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like him quite a bit. I wanted to draft him last year and was disappointed to hear he was staying in school. He's an athlete.
I think we have a couple decent #2 TE's in Shultz and Jarwin. I think ultimately they will probably favor Shultz over Jarwin because of his blocking ability. I think Albert O for the early portion of his career could be a good fit with Shultz on the team.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If Kellen Moore's debut is to be believed, the blocking aspect of our TEs is far less important than it was 6 months ago.

Given that, and the receiving corps, Jarwin is probably good enough that you don't need to use a high pick on a TE unless we really struggle in RZ or something like that this year.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If Kellen Moore's debut is to be believed, the blocking aspect of our TEs is far less important than it was 6 months ago.

Given that, and the receiving corps, Jarwin is probably good enough that you don't need to use a high pick on a TE unless we really struggle in RZ or something like that this year.

You may be underestimating the value of TE's in what Moore wants to do. The upper echelon TE's are match-up nightmares, and this offense wants to shift and motion to expose mismatches.

We can get by with Jarwin. We can win rings with an elite TE.

I'm not saying overspend to get one but if one is within reach, go get him.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Albert O was on the top of my TE list last season before he decided to stay in school. Still feel like he'd do well for the Cowboys. However, watching another year of Jarwin n Shultz could help us see how high a draft pick a TE should be. Don't dismiss Witten signing an extension either, and the effect that would have.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Albert O was on the top of my TE list last season before he decided to stay in school. Still feel like he'd do well for the Cowboys. However, watching another year of Jarwin n Shultz could help us see how high a draft pick a TE should be. Don't dismiss Witten signing an extension either, and the effect that would have.
Shultz really hasn't gotten alot of playing time this year. Although he did see an uptick against Miami

Mr_437

Reaction score
Shultz really hasn't gotten alot of playing time this year. Although he did see an uptick against Miami
Yeah so true, they should find a way to get this guy more snaps, and Jarwin more targets... especially with MG out.

You think Witten will sign for an extension?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Me either, so probably takes them out the TE draft market, at least, for Albert O. I'd still consider him even with Witten.
I wouldn't be so sure. They may still feel they really need a long term solution there an may value the position during the draft. They may feel they want an upgrade over Jarwin, who has flashed but hasnt produced consistently yet in his career.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. They may still feel they really need a long term solution there an may value the position during the draft. They may feel they want an upgrade over Jarwin, who has flashed but hasnt produced consistently yet in his career.
I have to agree, having #82 back would hide the need for a TE to other teams.

So either way you slice it, Albert O should be a target for DAL.